Back Lever Question

Started by Eddie Stelling, September 29, 2010 · 9 Replies · 2,510 Views

Eddie Stelling

When doing the the back lever I have my arms completely locked out such that it almost looks like they are hyper-extended a bit. I have just recently accomplished this with palms up grip (correctly). My question is, should the elbow joint be slightly flexed, or is it correct to extend the joint the way I am doing it?

Razz

If it's always been like this, comes naturally and without any pain I don't see a problem. I believe this is what people on the forum have mentioned before aswell. IF there is pain, do not allow it to hyperextend.

jl5555

How are your german hangs?

Eddie Stelling

I can hold a solid german hang for around 1 min. Currently doing 3 x 20s in my FSP warmups until i test again in a couple of weeks. I have been able to do a full lay back lever for quite some time but it was usually on a bar with palms facing down. I was unaware of the correct hand positioning. Once I turned my palms up I couldn't hold it for very long and felt discomfort, so I decided to start over with correct form to build up my joints. It seems to be working. I could not do a straddle BL palms up with good form like in the picture 4-5 weeks ago. Now I can do a pretty solid one and the only BL work I have done outside of the WODs is the german hang in my FSP warmup.

As far as the hyper extension goes for the german hang, it is the same. I can tighten my bicep tendons and my triceps to fix it, but I am unsure if this is what I should be doing. If you notice in the pic my tris are not tense, almost bunched up due to my elbows being completely locked out and all the load being on the bicep. Any insight??

Razz

Just to correct something, palms down is the correct version as you show in the pic. Think you have the palm terminology wrong :D

Eddie Stelling

Haha! Thanks, you are right I was saying it backwards! So, in your opinion, everything looks good as long as I have no discomfort or pain??

Razz

Yeah well as I remember coachs explanation is that if the hyperextension is natural (not something that happened because of strength work), and causes no pain then there is no problem.

Eddie Stelling

Thanks man. I appreciate it!

Guest

I think I have about the same amount of hyperextension in the elbows as you have and I have seen 'worse' (meaning, more hyperextended). It doesn't bother me at all and it doesn't hurt when I fully extend them (I'm not at your strength level though). Someone (I believe it was Deljosque) posted a pic of one of his pupils performing an iron cross with hyperextended elbows.

*edit* found it: clicky clicky

Blairbob

Many gymnasts have hyperextended elbows. I have seen Rings HS done with the elbows very close together. It happens. The important thing is to make sure that the bent arm strength is developed to help protect the joint.