Plyometric equipment for "box jumps"

Started by tarzoon, September 27, 2010 · 7 Replies · 10,068 Views

tarzoon

Hi everyone,

I would like to add some dynamic movements in my lower body training. One of them is the "box jumps" but I don't feel like jumping on my ikea table :lol: (I live in an apartment)

So I was wondering if you have any links to some good European suppliers (France/Belgium) or homemade boxes that can handle such exercise (I will of course put a mat under them)

For now I have this plan from crossfit but I am studying all the different possibilities (and hopefully some that don't take a lot of space)

Thanks,

Tarzoon

Freeflyer

Unless you have a lot of money, those plans are your best bet. Plyo boxes are ridiculously expensive to buy them pre-made. I personally just stack bumper weights on my back steps and jump from the ground onto them.

Mark Weaver

I read about a cheap alternative, at least here in the United States. It's boxes they use to cover sprinkler/irrigation valves with. They're stackable so you can adjust the height. I actually made the crossfit ones. They work well.

tarzoon

Thanks for the reply.

I'll go for the homemade solution then (I'm not really handy but I'll learn).

It's not urgent because I have knee injuries (check-up with the sport specialist doctor in a few days) but I would like everything to be ready for when I'll start the WOD (in december hopefully).

Ideally, I would like to make some plyo boxes which look like those ones I'm unsure if an homemade version will be easy to set up and as solid as the wooden box from crossfit. If someone have any plan of this kind of ply boxes it will be much appreciated.

Edit:

@Mark : Thanks for the idea. I will make further search about it.

Cole Dano

i'd think you could make the crossfit boxes and just scale the sizing so that they nest like that, it would be a pretty nice set up actually.

tarzoon
Mr Brady said:
i'd think you could make the crossfit boxes and just scale the sizing so that they nest like that, it would be a pretty nice set up actually.

Either that or using thicker wood and trying to make one that is height adjustable using a fitting system and multiple levels. The second solution will certainly be more difficult to made (if I want it to be solid) but it's worse thinking about it.

LukasM
tarzoon said:
I've came across a good post on Rosstraining and thought that it was worth updating this thread.

Here is my future adjustable box jump :

homemade-adjustable-box-jump

Good link, nice piece of equipment for sure!