Breaks training progress: Major MU improvement! Critique pls

Started by Michael Traynor, September 23, 2010 · 16 Replies · 3,475 Views

Michael Traynor

Hello all,

I have been following this site for about a year now and transitioned from weight training and other sport to gymnastics at that time. I have had a lifelong passion for Gymnastics but live in a rural part of Scotland so never had the opportunity to take part. When I discovered a year ago that you can actually buy rings (i'm not sure why it didn't occur to me to check earlier) at an affordable price, I did and the rest is history.

I don't often have the ability to take videos of my training but below are 3: The front lever pull needs to be held a lot more, this I know, trying to lessen the kipping on my muscle ups and I realise the Bulgarian L Sit Dips are pretty sloppy (legs below 90 degrees) a little to much rest on the deep part of the dip. Any other advice on how to improve etc would be appreicated.

Thank you Coach and all members for all the information I have gleaned from this site (and your book and dvds which I also bought) Hope to see you soon at Mallorcan Seminar if it goes ahead!

Breaks:

Lsit Dips (sorry about the noise this is an old video and not very good form etc much better now)

LMrTMNHBCsQ

Lever Pulls

8RDKwXQ0-b0

Muscle Ups

qJYh3v1QYr8

edit: to embed videos

Alessandro Mainente

the only one tips if for the muscle up...try to not separate the pull from the dip...so do a pullup to the sternu, and start press down the rings before the end of the pull...

don't do pull, stop, dip but pull, pull+dip ,dip

Razz

I'd go for straddle lever pulls, your straight ones don't get all the way to a horizontal front lever :)

Michael Traynor

Thanks guys, will work straddle pulls instead! (although I was mostly playing in the gym and thought i would give them a shot and take a video)

Any advice on practical steps on making my MUs more into one smooth movement?

Thanks!

Michael Traynor

I've been training my MUs more trying to get the transition smoother, really not sure the best way to go about it, i feel like perhaps I am leaning forward more than I am supposed to, I will try to post some more videos of my "progress" (not there has been too much) and would love any feedback anyone can give. thanks!

Joshua Naterman

I have a pretty good video on how to use false grip pull ups and russian dips to achieve a nice, smooth muscle up. It has worked well for many people and may help you as well. It is called "quest for the muscle up" on my youtube account, which is linked in my signature.

Michael Traynor

Thanks Slizzardman! I hadn't really even thought of using the bar to train the transition but will now and let you know how I get on and hopefully post a video :) Been watching your videos so thanks for those!

Michael Traynor

Hi All,

Here is a video that I made of tonight's training: as I am just now starting to dedicate myself 100% fully to gymnastics and focusing and organising my workouts, I thought perhaps some of you could help me by critiquing...anything and everything Obviously I couldn't film every second as 10min limit on youtube but all the times i held statics for and number of rounds are on there and a full breakdown is available in my workout log. :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

p.s. not sure if it is pertanent but I am 6 foot tall and 80kg

E98LcvlEExM

Michael Traynor

Hi especially to Slizz and Razz!

Tried my MUs tonight as part of the WOD 101008 and just tried them properly slow and controlled (which I had just assumed I wasn't strong enough to do, although they are not as smooth as I wanted them) they felt fantastic and not all that difficult, I guess I just hadn't had the confidence, thanks for imparting it into me and let me know what you think/how i can improve!

Thanks!

XBv5UOgISGI

Niklas Slotte

Hi Breaks,

You could do the straddle L on a flat surface, e.g on the plyobox/dining table in the background of your workout video. This allows you to bring the hands closer together, which in turn requires less of a straddle, if you are limited by your flexibility. It also brings your hips a little lower, torso more vertical and you puts your legs in a slightly more horizontal position with the same hip flexor angle. There's no need to press out that much in a static straddle L variation, just don't let the legs rest on the arms.

/Niklas

Michael Traynor

Thanks Nick,

I'll train my Straddle L off the PBars next time and try your advice :)

Dillon Zrike

Breaks, good work! You're really coming along well. I do notice that you like to have the rings turned in while pushing into a support position. Try to never have the rings turned in, it is critical that the rings are always turned out while in a support position. This means that while you are pushing from the dip position you must simultaneously turn the rings out so that you end in a turned position. You don't want to dip up with the rings turned in and then turn out at the top. It's ok for a beginner because at least they ARE turning out the rings, but you are definitely strong enough to turn them as you push up. There is really no way you could have known that though without coming to a seminar. I hope you can make it to Mallorca, I will be looking forward to help you in person.

P.S. For a smoother transition in the muscle up I recommend working a very slow negative on the way down from your reps. This should apply especially to the transition phase, meaning SLOW DOWN at that point. Coach likes 30 seconds on negatives usually.

Michael Traynor

Excellent thanks so much for the advice, you are right I didn't know that but I will do it from now on :)

Will definately work on the Negative transitions too, mine are a little weak at the moment and 30s seems like an insane amount of effort but I like to have my bar set high, i'll post progress.

I am signed up for Mallorca and have flights and hotel booked, have to say I really can't wait!

Thanks!

Mats Trane
Dillon Zrike said:
it is critical that the rings are always turned out while in a support position. This means that while you are pushing from the dip position you must simultaneously turn the rings out so that you end in a turned position. You don't want to dip up with the rings turned in and then turn out at the top.

I have understood that having the rings turned out is very important. Why is this so important? Is it for future progressions?

Dillon Zrike said:
Coach likes 30 seconds on negatives usually.

:shock: 30 seconds! Does this apply for negative press handstand/all negatives as well?

Ps welcome to the forum Dillon. Its great to actually have you here as you been training with coach for 5 years!

See you in Malorca

Razz

Cdx: RTO are for future progressions yes. Conditions elbow joint better than RTI and prepares for other movements such as PL/HS/Maltese where rings are also turned out. Obviously it's like step 1 out of 50 for maltese but it's still necessary.

Dillon Zrike

cdx, Razz is correct. Turning the rings puts more strain on the elbow joint, which is the key for all advanced ring strength elements.

cdx said:
30 seconds! Does this apply for negative press handstand/all negatives as well?

I believe 30 seconds should be the GOAL for any negatives. Usually though if you can do a 30 second negative you can easily perform the full move. So don't think of it as a strict rule, but more of as an eventual goal.

Joshua Naterman

30s negative makes a lot of sense. That essentially turns the negative into isometrics at the most important parts of the ROM.