I am a Crossfitter and train in a Crossfit gym. In Crossfit most trainees never move beyond a kipping Muscle Up. In my eyes that is very unfortunate as no strength through the ROM is ever attained. However for Crossfit's purposes in the end it was fine. (I harp on my people to work on strength).
The issue is that lately there have been videos of ex-gymnasts/current gymnasts, and Games competitors performing either a basic swing into MU (this is so they can easily use no false-grip so they can move faster) or what equates to a bent-arm uprise.
I am also fine with that, for THAT population of superior and well prepared athlete. Unfortunately it has a trickle down effect and I've seen quite a few of people in my gym trying to perform the bent-arm uprise version. My concern is more with how they drop back into the bottom to string repititions together.
My initial reaction is to have these trainees cease working on that dynamic movment until they have properly prepared the joints. I would assume being able to perform strict MUs would be sufficient to begin work on these more demanding dynamic variations. but I wanted to see what you all think. Is this okay? I've attempted just a basic ring swing and had to put that on hold as I felt my shoulders weren't ready. I'm afraid in some of our athlete's zeal to get this new movement down they run the risk of serious injury.
Here is a video of someone who is obviously prepared through Gymnastic Strength Training™ to handle this load: I literally have athletes who can't do a false grip pull-up to their shoulders working this...