Anyone tried the omgym?

Started by Justin Rawley, September 21, 2010 · 3 Replies · 2,671 Views

Justin Rawley

Though this apparatus was made with yogis in mind, I've seen a couple of videos of people doing gymnastics training on it and it seems to me that the sling would be quite useful in helping develop strength in exercises and positions that one is not quite ready yet to do unassisted on the rings. Do you guys think this might be a useful supplemental piece of equipment? It is kind of cool to watch this guy Mike do archer pushups while suspended.

OEdchlfMsAI

Freeflyer

Looks excessive to me. I really didn't see anything that couldn't be done with a pair of rings and some band to support your body weight. I suppose if it isn't expensive it could save on the hassle of building something and constantly have to readjust ring height, but other than that, I wouldn't get it.

Felipe

if you can't decide how much weight it pulls during planche/iron cross/ecc. it's not useful.

Justin Rawley

Felipe, I would suspect guestimating the assistance it gives you is something akin to figuring out the lever advantage while doing chair/box crosses. I've tried box crosses, but my balance really is thrown too far back. Instead, I usually work crosses using the rubber bands or the pulley machine, or I just do negatives as far down as I can go. Swallow to planche I work from the knees because I can't yet do a full swallow from the feet, let alone in the air.

Nick_EOD, I sort of like this thing because it's basically a TRX with a sling, which allows it to double as an inversion device. Like the TRX, it's small enough to pack up and take with you when you don't have a lot of space (like on a carry-on or in a backpack). It costs about $10 more than the TRX and $20 less than the military version TRX. If one already has a TRX, one could probably rig up an addition using parachute silk or something. These kinds of products have been flooding the market recently and they're probably really all about the same.