Hey all,
I have a question about a gymnastic/body weight approach to building these muscles groups.
Glutes and Hams
Do any of you feel that bodyweight exercises for the glutes and hams just aren't as effective as barbell squats and deadlifts? I've already got the pistol squat down and have been doing them for some time, yet since I go all the way down on these (curved spine) I know they take the lower back, glutes and hams out of the exercise (right? correct me if I'm wrong this is just what I have heard). Also, because the stance is so narrow, the adductor muscles get very little if no stimulation too correct? I just get this feeling that lower body work with body weight exercises is inferior to barbell work. I would love to hear otherwise. The deadlift and squat hits the quads, glutes, hams, lower back and other muscles as well. Just seems like these movements are so effective as all in one exercises. Also, I understand the need for gymnasts to have small lower bodies, but part of the allure of the GB program is the notion that these exercises carry over very well into other sports and activities. I am not a gymnast but I do love body weight exercises. I am just trying to build a balanced body. Should I just use barbell exercises for the lower body? Any thoughts?
Traps
I was reading this article:
http://startingstrength.com/resources/f ... hp?t=17675
on the starting strength forums and it got me thinking about how one would train the traps with bodyweight exercises. Basically Bill Starr is saying that strong traps are necessary for shoulder health and alignment. Barbell exercises like the overhead press, clean and jerk, and snatch apparently work those areas well. I suppose shrugging while in a handstand would work the traps, but how does the full hand stand pushup (on rings or parallel bars) compare to these barbell exercises?
Thanks a lot. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion.