This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100917

Started by Coach Sommer, September 17, 2010 · 18 Replies · 2,609 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform the following:

3 sets of; MU, 2 XR Dips, L-sit press shoulder stand, roll fwd into a MU to a shoulder stand, negative Reverse MU down to an inverted hang, 2 slow Reverse Cranks, 2 slow FL Pulls

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Support Hold

5x15 seconds BL

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

2) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

3) All static positions are held for 2 seconds unless otherwise specified.

4) Strive to perform the MUs with an emphasis on strength; keeping the

kipping minimized or preferably eliminated all together. Be especially conscientious in locking your arms and turning out the rings at the top of each repetition

5) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Ring Strength 3 essay.

6) You may use the feet on the straps to slow your descent during the negative Reverse MU.

7) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

8 ) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of Front Lever (your choice of position) and then move immediately to the XR Support Hold and then move immediately to the Back Lever.

9) Rest is allowed during the static hold positions only after a single giant set has been completed.

Artaho

I have two questions. 1st slizzardman does his fsp as a warm up, but w/ dis wod I don't think I can handle doing fsp then doing 5set of FL, BL n support hold for 15sec. at the end of the workout. 2nd can we start off w/ support hold then transition into FL or BL instead of FL then support hold?

Cole Dano
Artaho said:
I have two questions. 1st slizzardman does his fsp as a warm up, but w/ dis wod I don't think I can handle doing fsp then doing 5set of FL, BL n support hold for 15sec. at the end of the workout. 2nd can we start off w/ support hold then transition into FL or BL instead of FL then support hold?

One clarification- the fsp warm up is part of the program, its not just Slizz or his idea, most of us doing the WODs do the FSP warm ups to our level.

In cases like this, it is ok to skip the FSP warm up for those elements, but you would still do some of the simpler elements, eg. hollow plank, hollow hold, arch hold as well as some shoulder mobility work as part of your warm up.

gymgreg

So here are the 3 rounds i filmed.

I did a couple of tries before with press to handstands, but in order to do so i had to lower the rings which made the FL Pulls impossible.

kCMwfbMadM8

Cole Dano

Gregor - your ring work looks stronger and smoother than ever. Nice!

Joshua Naterman

Yes, looking VERY strong!

Like Mr Brady said, when there are significant amounts of static work in the WOD it is ok to scale WAY back on the warm up or even not do the FL stuff, for example, at all since there is so much in the WOD.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

1000m Row

15s Samson Stretch

10 Shoulder Dislocate

5 Russian Dips

FSP:

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 20s, 20s)

2 x 1 Planche (Adv. Frog; 20s, 15s)

2 x 1 Manna (PB Bent; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 5s, 5s)

WOD:

3 x MU, 2 XR Dips, XR L-Sit, Forward Roll MU, L-Sit, Inverted Hang, 2 Inverted Curls, Reverse Crank, Front Pull(1/2), Rest 5 min.

5 x 15s Front Lever (Tuck)

5 x 15s XR Support Hold

5 x 15s Back Lever (Tuck)

Finished with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions. 2 x 10 Side Rotator (2#). Stretch.

Good Job guys this is a tough one!

Critique my video please (I know my crank and front pulls are bad and I'm working on them.) I have a question on my forward roll MU though; Do I have to be full extension on the bottom of the roll before performing the muscle up again? Any comments welcome. Thanks!

EPxCJ-_XMmk

Tyler Schmitz

My take on the WOD:

Here is a video of one set(the other 2 looked the same)

Don't think I did the forward roll to shoulder stand correctly but was close I guess

Chest and Triceps fried from yesterday and Tuesday

Rested 5 min between each set

B1UVcWO-e4c

After Ring Strength Series:

5 x 15 sec half lay/advanced tuck FL

5 x 15 XR Support Hold

5 x 15 full BL

Rested 1 min between rounds

Finished with 2 x 10 wall extensions on floor (still have little ROM on wall)

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
treemantyler said:
My take on the WOD:

Here is a video of one set(the other 2 looked the same)

Don't think I did the forward roll to shoulder stand correctly but was close I guess

Chest and Triceps fried from yesterday and Tuesday

Rested 5 min between each set

B1UVcWO-e4c

After Ring Strength Series:

5 x 15 sec half lay/advanced tuck FL

5 x 15 XR Support Hold

5 x 15 full BL

Rested 1 min between rounds

Finished with 2 x 10 wall extensions on floor (still have little ROM on wall)

:shock: awesome!

Josh Schmitter

Did some FSP's earlier in the day.

Did 3 sets of:

3 pull ups(bar), 3 partial dips(chair), Ring strength 1(without the muscle up or roll back)

5x15 for FL tuck and XR support.

Worked a bunch of german hangs earlier in the day so left it at that.

Wall extensions felt excellent

Here's a concern: I found today that hanging from a thick bar, I can hold a full out german hang much easier than one with my legs tucked under supporting some of my weight. Now I don't know if it has anything to do with the bar, but I think it's more of my position as I'm more hollow when my legs are hanging. As opposed to when my legs are bent under supporting some of my weight and I'm trying to straighten the upper body as much as possible...this really aggravates my chest and elbows.

Also, all the videos are very inspiring...definitely helping my focus. As well as inspiring me not to post a video of my weak self on here anytime soon :).

Tarun Suri
treemantyler said:
My take on the WOD:

Here is a video of one set(the other 2 looked the same)

Don't think I did the forward roll to shoulder stand correctly but was close I guess

Chest and Triceps fried from yesterday and Tuesday

Rested 5 min between each set

B1UVcWO-e4c

After Ring Strength Series:

5 x 15 sec half lay/advanced tuck FL

5 x 15 XR Support Hold

5 x 15 full BL

Rested 1 min between rounds

Finished with 2 x 10 wall extensions on floor (still have little ROM on wall)

That's really impressive. However, is your palms facing up BL purposeful?

Joshua Naterman

Excellent WOD videos!

I just did some dips and other regular stuff, as my elbows aren't ready for this kind of thing yet.

Ryan Hutchins

after a long layoff I'm back to these WOD's.

The strength series was a monster today. I lost hearing in an ear after the full set I did. Did one broken set. One full. And the last one was broken. The FL was advanced tuck.

These static holds are killing me.

5x15 in advanced tuck both levers.

All in all a nice welcome back.

Thx coach.

Kenneth Manning

Didn't have time to post yesterday, so here was my WOD:

6 sets of:

MU->2 XR dips->L sit->tuck shoulderstand->forward roll to invert->2 slow reverse cranks->2 adv tuck FL pulls

The reason for the extra sets was that my scaled down version was not nearly as difficult as the ring series prescribed. I'm still lacking in some areas. My tuck shoulder stand is "getting better," but still getting a feel for it, sometimes I still fall victim to just uncontrollably going into the forward roll. And that's another thing - I'm still working on trying to "slow down" the forward roll. Whenever I am attempting a forward roll to MU, the roll happens so fast that I'm unable to maintain a false grip and just can't get into the MU. Need more work.....

statics: 5x15 of each

1 leg extended/1 leg tucked FL

adv tuck BL (after the 6 sets of ring series no way was full lay happening!)

XR support

wall extensions: 10, 9+1 (severe shoulder cramp after 9th rep on second set!)

Also, the videos some of you are posting look excellent! Smooth looking ring series = strong athlete.

Tyler Schmitz
RandomHavoc said:
treemantyler said:

That's really impressive. However, is your palms facing up BL purposeful?

Had to go back and watch it to see what you meant, so no it wasn't intentional. I didn't know I was even doing it that way.lol I'll have to correct that next time. Thanks a lot

Wheelson

did this workout on friday, but today I attempted a strict muscle up, and to my surprise i did it!!! ran around my house like a kid... which I find I do rather frequently. now to tackle the rolling muscle up!!! :D

Tarun Suri
treemantyler said:
RandomHavoc said:
treemantyler said:

That's really impressive. However, is your palms facing up BL purposeful?

Had to go back and watch it to see what you meant, so no it wasn't intentional. I didn't know I was even doing it that way.lol I'll have to correct that next time. Thanks a lot

Hah! That's what we're all here for. But now you owe me. Next time I post a video (probably in a very long time), I expect a critique from you.

Tyler Schmitz
Hah! That's what we're all here for. But now you owe me. Next time I post a video (probably in a very long time), I expect a critique from you.

lol you got it sir

Alvaro

I was fried just from reading this wod XD! I made a huge improvement today (skill not strenght)

3x:

2 false grip pull up( false grip a bit stronger and pull up up to my neck)

2 Xr dips falling into transition of MU ( trying to do it controlled but ...)

3 shoulder stands( one or two full!!!!! Not tucked) obviously I practiced the forward roll LOL( first time ever too!!!)

then from full shoulder stand( legs on straps that is) negative reverser MU!!

2 slow front lever pulls negatives ( bad form)

2 slow reverse cranks

5 x 15 BL tuck

5 X 10 sec XR support (after this month of injury I think this is what I lost more)

5x15 tuck FL

also at night I went to adult gymnastics class with serotonin and practiced a bit of paralel bars swings front flips , bar swings ;)