This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ed's log

Started by Edward Smith, September 15, 2010 · 6 Replies · 1,079 Views

Edward Smith

Simple. I'm starting a log on here. S&C wise, I'll be following the WOD's for Gymnastic Strength Training™ (for the most part). I'm also doing some weightlifting, purely lower body oriented stuff, twice a week. Aside from that, other physical activity I do includes karate, some floreio and also some basic tumbling/tricking.

I plan to start working my rugby skills soon, one heavy session a week (tackling practice, rucking, kicking, etc, so quite metabollically demanding) and do basic stuff (passing, ball skills) throughout the week.

With the GB WOD's I'm starting them a week behind, as being in Australia the WOD's are usually posted during the middle of the day, where I usually do them in the morning.

Monday 13th September

Four Rounds

60sec Burpees

3 Tuck Front Pulls

5 Adv Tuck TOP pulls

10 Tuck Front Lever pulls

Tuesday 14th September

3x 3MU, 3 Leg Lifts to L, 3 press shoulderstands, Adv Tuck BL, Adv Tuck FL

5x15sec tuck FL (first set Adc tuck)

5x15sec support

5x15sec german hang

Wednesday 15th September

Did some technique work on cleans after reading some articles on T-nation about them, usually do Snatch-grip deadlifts on Wednesdays, gonna start doing overhead squats as well and learning the olympic lifts.

Edward Smith

Thursday 16th September

3 sets each of:

1 embedded XR L-sit + 5 tempo negative muscle-ups

1embedded Adv Tuck BL + 5 tempo HeS RLL (+2.5kg)

1 embedded Adv Tuck FL + 5 tempo Ab wheel rollouts

2x 30sec Elevated bridge holds

5 Wall Walks

The muscle-ups were the hardest part of the workout, first set consisted of some concentric-only seated muscle-ups but couldn't sustain that. I'm doing the elevated bridges to open up my shoulders, so the flexibility in my bridge is coming from my shoulders and not my lower back.

Edward Smith

Didn't do the WOD on friday (17th) as i got to caught up in practicing back salts at gym. It was a dynamic leg work WOD, so doing the back salts got a similar training effect (did plenty).

Monday 20th September

3 x 30+m sled sprints, 20kg

3x Half-GHR

1 x 10 weighted killers, 20kg

30seconds aggregate Straddle-L, two sets of 15 sec Low straddle-L

Did a reduced volume WOD monday as i wasn't feeling very flash, don't know why.

Tuesday 21st September

1 x 11 Cast Wall Walks, cluster set (3,2,2,2,2)

1 x 5 Negative Wall pike press HS

1 x 10 Weighted HeS pike press (5kg)

3 x 20sec Wall HS

2 x 10 Wrist push ups, from knees

I'm really weak at handstands compared to most other things (e.g I can climb a rope in a straddle-L with relative ease), so from the outset this wasn't going to be an easy WOD. However, having never done the Cast Wall Walks I drastically underestimated how hard these are. HS pressing, I seem to have no natural ability for. The Wall HS's seemed quite strong (compared to other times I've done them), so I'm happy about that. Even though I suck at these WOD's I like them.

Edward Smith

Wednesday 22nd September

Just played around with some Clean technique (unloaded bar) then did some snatch-grip deadlifts and overhead squats, can't remember the exact weight but around 30kg (yes, I am that weak).

Thursday 23th September

Four Rounds:

40' Ag Walks

5 Ring Dips (into transition)

10 Jumping Dips/Negative Dips (jump began from below rings)

15 clapping push-ups

2x10 wrist push-ups, supersetted with band pulls/rows

Only have rings at home so I couldn't do any dips on P-bars. I'm pretty strong at dips though, so wasn't a big deal apart from swinging dips. Chest was sore though the next day.

Friday 24th September

3x MU, 2 dips, L-sit press shoulderstand, fwd roll (MU), press shoulderstand, negative reverse MU, 2 Reverse cranks (Adv Tuck BL), 2 Adv Tuck FL pulls

5x15sec Adv Tuck FL

5x15sec Support

5x15sec Adv Tuck BL

Ring series wasn't too hard (please note "too"), however the statics after the ring series.....WOW!

Saturday 25th September

Alternating

3x3 30kg, 32.5kg, 35kg Straight-leg Deadlifts (focusing on speed)

3x3 30kg, 32.5kg, 35kg Front squat (focusing on speed)

Giant set

2x12 40kg Back squats

2x 2x5 (each leg) 10kg Peterson step ups

Giant set

2x4 Negative Harop Curls

2x15 20kg Straight-leg Goodmornings

Drop Set

3x6 Donkey Calf Raises (1 leg, 10kg, 5kg, BW)

Love my saturday workouts. Note, I have to lift everything from the floor, i don't have a power rack.

Peterson step ups, I should either do them first (before back squats) or as a stand alone exercise.

Straight-leg goodmornings, I'm shooting for the most ROM. They absolutely hammered my hamstrings after the harop curls. Also, with all my squatting unless specifically mentioned I'm going (my) full ROM. Back squats felt pretty good/easy at 40kg.

Edward Smith

Haven't posted for the last two weeks due to a busy schedule (school). But have been doing most of the WOD's.

This week, so far, I have done:

Monday 11th October

3 Rounds of:

30m sled sprint (20kg)

10 weighted killers (5kg)

5 single-leg archups

Tuesday 12th October

5 cast wall walks, clustered

5 negative wall pike press

10 weighted HeS reverse leg lifts (5kg)

6x10sec on 40sec off Wall HS

Wednesday 13th October

Hang Clean technique work, worked up to 10kg on the bar.

approx 6-8 Snatch-grip deadlifts up to 30kg

For tuesday's workout, the cast wall walks just mauled me. Usually i have to break them up but i can do all 10 reps not so on tuesday. Wall pike presses are feeling better however though. Thought I would be able to do 12 setes of the 10sec Wall HS but was wrong , I'm going to revert back to doing 3x20sec Wall HS until I can do a 1minute Wall HS (preferably for multiple sets). This will be done instead of the other final HS work in these sorts of WOD's (i.e Wall runs, HSPU ladders or HS cycles)

Edward Smith

Back, after a long posting hiatus (still training though).

Sunday 2 January

A1 3x3x20,25,27.5kg Front Squats

A2 3x3x20,25,27.5kg Straight-leg DL

EDT (10 minutes)

Back Squats (25kg) 8,7,6

Harop Curls 6,5,4

Monday 3rd January

3 giant sets:

30m Sled sprint (20kg)

10 killers (10kg)

5 Half-GHR

Edward Smith

So gonna start logging again. Had the week of last week, due to other stresses (school and work), and just played around with some stuff. Back to it.

Just did:

3x embedded Tuck BL + 5 Bulgarian Pull Ups

3x " " XR L-sit + 5 Box HeSPU

3x " " Tuck FL + 5 HLL

2x 30sec Feet Elevated Bridge.