Is this correct?

Started by Nolan Womack, September 14, 2010 · 14 Replies · 3,505 Views

Nolan Womack

Sorry if this has been asked one time too many, but is this correct as far as the FSP in my workout?

WU

Dynamic Stretches

FSP (all 6 + HS) 3 x 1/4max

FSP (not including L-Sit or HS) 60s accumulative with 1/2max holds (ex. 2x30sec)

WOD (I'm running a day behind on the WODs so I know I have a good understanding of what to do before rushing through the instructions)

WD

Dynamic Stretches

Wall Walks

Some Static Stretches

Is this doing too much of the FSP, or is this how it's supposed to be. I'm not used to my workouts being an hour and 20min, but I'm also not used to Gymnastics. I hope this is enough information for a first post, if not, please let me know, I'd be happy to help you help me :D

Joshua Naterman

Where did you get the idea of 1/4 max time FSP holds?

The half max holds, done with correct programming as far as progression selection and max hold times, should be plenty. At first this may be a bit much, so you may need to scale your WODs back a bit more than you initially think, but the other option is to scale the FSP work: Just do 30s total work instead of 60s for the first month, and then maybe 40s starting somewhere in the 2nd month, and 50 s somewhere in the 3rd or 4th month, and by 5-6 months in you should be easily able to handle the 60s totals without wasting time and without being tired. It takes time to adapt to the workloads.

Nolan Womack

I don't remember where I got the 1/4 holds, I know it wasn't on this site, but I don't remember which it was from (it's possible I made it up, too). But, I do remember doing the 1/2 max for the warm up, then going to the specific FSP portion of my workout, and feeling like I was doing too much, but with the 1/4 max, it felt more like I was warmed instead of fatigued.

I've continued researching around this site and found where you had mentioned another set of 6 holds, and I'll use those as the warm up. I've been scaling the WODs down, and still feel challenged with them (at least the way I imagine Coach wants everyone to feel), however scaling the total time in the FSPs is something I hadn't thought about. I also read somewhere on here that the book was made for non-beginners, so it only makes sense that I'll need to scale mostly everything down. With the FSPs, I was able to hold some more advanced positions due to my past training, but quickly found that was too much for my wrists and elbows.

I guess I'll:

-Remove the 1/4 max holds

-Insert the 3x60s (maybe less based on how I feel with them) of the 6 "more" basic FSPs

-Change my total time to 30s for FSPs

-Keep the WODs scaled down (and a day behind so I can see how to scale)

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it, if what's on my list doesn't look right, please correct me. I still am having an interesting time figuring Gymnastic Training out, some reason it hasn't came as simple as the other types.

Joshua Naterman
Nolan Womack said:
I don't remember where I got the 1/4 holds, I know it wasn't on this site, but I don't remember which it was from (it's possible I made it up, too). But, I do remember doing the 1/2 max for the warm up, then going to the specific FSP portion of my workout, and feeling like I was doing too much, but with the 1/4 max, it felt more like I was warmed instead of fatigued.

Ah, I think I see. I used to have an actual FSP part of my work out, but now they are just part of the warm up unless a WOD calls for them specifically.

I've continued researching around this site and found where you had mentioned another set of 6 holds, and I'll use those as the warm up. I've been scaling the WODs down, and still feel challenged with them (at least the way I imagine Coach wants everyone to feel), however scaling the total time in the FSPs is something I hadn't thought about. I also read somewhere on here that the book was made for non-beginners, so it only makes sense that I'll need to scale mostly everything down. With the FSPs, I was able to hold some more advanced positions due to my past training, but quickly found that was too much for my wrists and elbows.

The same happened to me, I was very strong but my joints weren't quite ready for planche work. I wouldn't say the book was made for non-beginners so much as Coach simply didn't realize how blank our slate really was lol! For example, it never occurred to him that we would try a FL if we hadn't already established a strong 60s hollow hold. Those updates will be in the second edition of BtGB.

I guess I'll:

-Remove the 1/4 max holds

-Insert the 3x60s (maybe less based on how I feel with them) of the 6 "more" basic FSPs

-Change my total time to 30s for FSPs

-Keep the WODs scaled down (and a day behind so I can see how to scale)

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it, if what's on my list doesn't look right, please correct me. I still am having an interesting time figuring Gymnastic Training out, some reason it hasn't came as simple as the other types.

What are the more basic FPSs you are referring to? Straight arm plank, reverse push up, hollow hold, etc?

Gymnastic training is a bit more complicated since it is really progressions towards very low leverage positions, we are all learning together!

It is a pleasure to help, especially since you have taken the time to do a lot of searching and reading on your own! I really do appreciate it, and I hope that more people who are new to posting here follow your example.

Artaho

I was wondering if anyone knew when the new books will be out?

Nolan Womack
slizzardman said:

Ah, I think I see. I used to have an actual FSP part of my work out, but now they are just part of the warm up unless a WOD calls for them specifically.

The same happened to me, I was very strong but my joints weren't quite ready for planche work. I wouldn't say the book was made for non-beginners so much as Coach simply didn't realize how blank our slate really was lol! For example, it never occurred to him that we would try a FL if we hadn't already established a strong 60s hollow hold. Those updates will be in the second edition of BtGB.

What are the more basic FPSs you are referring to? Straight arm plank, reverse push up, hollow hold, etc?

Gymnastic training is a bit more complicated since it is really progressions towards very low leverage positions, we are all learning together!

It is a pleasure to help, especially since you have taken the time to do a lot of searching and reading on your own! I really do appreciate it, and I hope that more people who are new to posting here follow your example.

Having the FSPs included with the warm-up sounds a lot more logical then how I had programmed it prior.

Planche has probably been the toughest for me, too. Haha, that's a very good way to put it. I'm excited for the second edition to come out, I'm sure there will be myriad more ways to improve why workouts.

The more basic FSPs are:

-Straight Arm Plank

-Reverse Pushup (Plank)

-Perfect Hollow Position

-Arch Position

-PB Support (active shoulders)

-Chinup Grip Deadhang (active shoulders)

Learning is the only way to adapt and overcome, so I'm proud to be in the humble position of the beginner, it's much more exciting.

This was a much more pleasant experience being introduced to a forum board then any of the others I have joined, I'll undoubtedly highly commend here.

Joshua Naterman

First off, I'm glad you like the atmosphere here. This board exists to help, not to throw egos around, and I love it as well. There is a much friendlier feel here than I have found anywhere else online.

That's a good list of the basics, I was hoping to see something like that! I think one of the great things about gymnastics is that there is always a new skill to learn, which means we are always beginners at something!!!

What do you mean by active shoulders in the dead hang?

Cole Dano
slizzardman said:

What do you mean by active shoulders in the dead hang?

I'm guessing here, but most likely packing.

If so this is good, but we also need open shoulders, so a full hang is also good. I often will alternate pack to hang as a great way to grease the shoulder blade movement for pull ups.

Joshua Naterman

Interesting. I don't worry too much about packing the shoulders in my hangs since I do specific pull up shrugs in my warm up, but that's probably a really smart way to start off!

Nolan Womack

I'm guessing that packing is when basically you have your shoulders pulling down, and keep as much distance between your ears and shoulders as you can? Cause if that's the case, then that would be how I was defining active shoulders. So then, do you guys think I should maybe do the shrugs slizzardman does in his warmup, and make it a full hang, or maybe alternate between full/pack during the 60s set(s), or even designate a full set to each?

Cole Dano

Yes that's the jest of packing the shoulders.

Really the only should part is for gymnastics, you do want to also be able to fully hang with shoulders up by your ears, and ideally a slight hollow.

For pull-ups ect the shoulders need to pack properly.

So they are both essential... BUT as part of the static hold progression it is a full hang.

I haven't learned of any specific programing but like Slizz due to a rotator cuff problem and shoulder imbalance, i spend time hanging and then work on the movement from full hang to evenly pack my shoulders. My problem was one scapula moves differently than the other at the beginning so i'm twisting on the way up.

Doing the hanging shrugs has been really helpful, and to be honest i just do it by intuition.

One thing we learned at the seminar that i think i can pass on, is that variety in this kind of work is important.

Nolan Womack

I love variety so I'm glad to hear I need more. I can't wait until I can go to one of the seminars.

That's unfortunate to hear about the shoulder problems, I've accumulated a few from eight years of wrestling, but gymnastic training has helped me out quite a bit, so I definitely will add shrugs in and play around with them.

Joshua Naterman

Absolutely. Shrugging in all directions is essential for shoulder health. Of course there are other things that are also essential, but that's one of them.

I like the idea of practicing both a retracted hang and a fully extended hang. You will get completely different benefits from each. You should be practicing the shrugs and if you can't do them hanging use a cable machine, bands or some kind of assist. Definitely important.

The extended dead hang helps open the shoulders and helps strengthen the attachment sites of all muscles involved surrounding the shoulders and contributes to muscular hyperplasia and muscle lengthening.

The retracted hang will help with scapular instability and weakness if you can do it. End the hold the moment something starts to move!

Nolan Womack

Today I went and did deadhang shrugs, row shrugs, plank shrugs, and HS shrugs, and they all are feeling like a new addition to my warmup lol. Any recommendations as far as sets x reps for shrugs, I understand that information may be disclosed to seminar attendees only, so it's alright if you can't tell me, today I used 2x5.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a cable system, and the bands I have are of very little assistance, however, fortunately I'm able to do the shrugs hanging.

It's hard to end the movement the moment something moves a little bit; pride is a terrible thing.

Joshua Naterman

Lol, don't I know it... pride has stabbed me many times.

I think that one set is plenty, you don't want to do too much in one day when you're doing them 4x per week. I personally like doing 20 reps of retractions and 10-15 reps of everything else., but I am slowly working my scapular push ups towards 20-30 reps.