Muscle Up

Started by 1druid1, May 27, 2008 · 12 Replies · 6,098 Views

1druid1

Hi All

Decided to add some muscle up progression to my workouts, I have no problem with Pullups or Dips on either the Rings or a bar so my strength is ok in these positions. The problem I have is I just cannot hold my weight whatsoever in the false grip, my wrist just collapses on me. Does anyone else have this problem?

Cheers

Dougie

Coach Sommer

Shifting Out of a False Grip

My friend, it sounds as though you are misunderstanding the use of the false grip. It is not to be used during the support portion of the muscle-up, but only during the pull and the beginning of the transition. Once the transition begins, the false grip should shift to a support grip. This will be accomplished by flicking the wrists straight and pointing the elbows straight up while still in the bent arm support position. From this position, now simply perform a basic ring dip ascent.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob

Dougie, are you simply unable to hang in false grip? Best bet it to take some of the weight off by squatting or putting your feet in front or behind you on a block.

1druid1

Hi Coach, Blairbob.

Thanks for the replys, yes at the moment I am unable to hang in the false grip, although I am wondering if I have the correct position for the false grip. At the moment I am trying to hang from the wrist joint, is this correct for the false grip?

Cheers

Dougie

George Launchbury

Hi Dougie,

I have been doing some ring 'rows' in false grip, which seems to be helping. Also I find stretching out the forearm extensors (active and assisted) with the hand in a fist (and arm straight) seems to help a lot when I get near full extension, as before my wrist would sort of unwrap through lack of flexibility.

Cheers,

George.

George Launchbury

Hi Coach, Blairbob, All,

I am now wondering if I have misunderstood the false grip myself ...it has been my assumption that I should be able to go from false-grip hang through to support (a muscle-up might have been a better description) without having to shift my grip?

I have been doing ring rows and then, without unweighting significantly or changing grip, made a sort of assisted transition and gone into doing some dips. I simply found the grip position that I felt made this possible, and am now wondering if it is less than optimum for either!?

Thanks,

George.

LJoll
George said:
Hi Coach, Blairbob, All,

I am now wondering if I have misunderstood the false grip myself ...it has been my assumption that I should be able to go from false-grip hang through to support (a muscle-up might have been a better description) without having to shift my grip?

I have been doing ring rows and then, without unweighting significantly or changing grip, made a sort of assisted transition and gone into doing some dips. I simply found the grip position that I felt made this possible, and am now wondering if it is less than optimum for either!?

Thanks,

George.

I think the only change is that you go from a bent wrist that is kind of curled around the ring, to a more straight wrist.

1druid1

Hi All

Thanks for all your replys. I think I have figured out my problem, I have been trying to support myself using my wrists alone, I wasnt using my thumb for support, I will try this tonight and see how I get on.

Cheers

Dougie

1druid1

Hi All

Looked at all the information again and adjusted my False Grip slightly, I can now hold my weight and do pullups using the false grip, but damn that transition aint easy, gonna tak me a while to get it..

Cheers

Dougie

Blairbob

Good luck, sounds like you worked it out.

Alex
George said:
Hi Dougie,

I have been doing some ring 'rows' in false grip, which seems to be helping. Also I find stretching out the forearm extensors (active and assisted) with the hand in a fist (and arm straight) seems to help a lot when I get near full extension, as before my wrist would sort of unwrap through lack of flexibility.

Cheers,

George.

Thats a good idea George i'm going to give these a pop!

1druid1

Hi all

After a recent visit to my Physio, I have found out that the muscle up for me is a strength exercise that will take a long, long time to manage, according to my Physio the transition part of the muscle up requires a great deal of strength in the Rotator Cuff, and as both of my rotator cuffs are shot and are going through lots of remedial work he advises me not even try it because I will more than likely tare both of them again. I am not one for arguing with my Physio but my understanding of the transition was that it was more of a bodyweight tricep pulldown or have I got this wrong and its more of a shoulder roll?

Cheers

Dougie

David Picó García

For the strict muscle up, you need a lot of strength in the transition point, but in a kipping muscle up (and i mean by kipping just not strict, with a movement of the legs AFTER the pull in order to maintain the stability of the body while getting over the rings, not kicking BEFORE the pull and going up in a leg momentum), the transition is much more technique than strength, its simply to arrive high enough in the pull and in a quick movement move the elbows up. in than quick movement there is no strength if you arrived high enough in the pull. Try to go with the arms inside the shoulder. if you open the arms at shoulder width or more, it much more difficult as you have to go upper in the pull.