This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100913

Started by Coach Sommer, September 13, 2010 · 16 Replies · 2,422 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform the following:

5x30m Sled Sprint

5x5 Half GHR

2x10 Weighted Killers

Finish with 60 seconds total aggregate work of a straddle L variation.

notes:

1) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between sets.

2) This is a maximal strength workout. Do not perform these exercises as a giant set. Perform one set and then rest. Complete all of the sets for each exercise in the following order; Sled Sprints then move on to Half GHR, then move on to Weighted Killers.

3) Add sufficient weight to the sled/tire sprints to make the sprints quite challenging; the running should be very strenuous.

4) If you do not have access to a tire or sled for sprints, then possible sled/tire substitutions include: perform the sprints with a weight vest, drag a kettlebell on the ground behind you while sprinting, have a partner pulling backward on you during the sprint with a long strap. The best substitute, and possibly even better than the sled sprints themselves, is to run up a very steep hill with a weighted vest.

5) Add weight if possible to the Half GHR.

6) Killers are essentially a jumping lunge. To perform Killers, first assume a right kneeling lunge position where the right foot is in front and flat on the ground with the right knee bent at approx. a 90-degree angle. The left leg will be behind with the left knee on the ground approximately 14-16†behind the heel of the right foot and the toes of the left leg curled under to aid in the coming jump. From this position, explode upward into the air as high as possible. At the top of the jump, switch the right leg backward and the left leg forward landing in the opposite lunge position. This constitutes one repetition. Continue for the prescribed number of repetitions.

7) Be careful to only allow the knee of the back leg to only lightly touch the ground. DO NOT bounce off of the ground with this knee or injury will result.

Mathias Flækøy

Hello! I have a project in school, where the primary goal is to train for our own. I have chosen "vertical jump" (dont know the english word), and want to improve the vertical jump with about 5cm (1 month) - is that a OK goal by the way?

...Since I already do the WODs, why couldn't I just do the WODs? We should train once a week, yeah i know, pretty weakly, but would these leg workouts improve my verticale jump?

As we know, verticale jumps need alot of explosive power, so could someone tell me if its correct by me to train these leg workouts which include high repping (5,10,15 rep last friday).

I would be so glad if i got response. Sorry for my bad english. Thanks.

Freeflyer
Hannibal said:
Hello! I have a project in school, where the primary goal is to train for our own. I have chosen "vertical jump" (dont know the english word), and want to improve the vertical jump with about 5cm (1 month) - is that a OK goal by the way?

...Since I already do the WODs, why couldn't I just do the WODs? We should train once a week, yeah i know, pretty weakly, but would these leg workouts improve my verticale jump?

As we know, verticale jumps need alot of explosive power, so could someone tell me if its correct by me to train these leg workouts which include high repping (5,10,15 rep last friday).

I would be so glad if i got response. Sorry for my bad english. Thanks.

Your English is very good, actually. Vertical jump is a correct term, it is also often called vertical leap.

I find the GB WODs are not very leg intensive, as they only do legs usually once a week and sometimes not at all. While those leg WODs are certainly tough, if your goal is primarily to improve your vertical leap, I think you should focus a little extra on that as well.

If you are familiar with Olympic Weightlifting, it is a fantastic way to develop the power needed for a high vertical leap. If not, other exercises like the ones in the WODs (Box jumps, depth jumps, deck squats/jumping squats, etc) are all still very useful for building vertical leap. Just practicing your vertical is also an effective way to train for it as well in addition to other exercises. Heavy squat and deadlifts may be of some benefit as long as you drive with the intention of producing as much speed and power throughout the exercise as possible. Of course, if you are not familiar with the exercises, I wouldn't perform them like that without coaching.

As far as your goal, 5cm in one month, that really depends. If you are a well conditioned athlete and used to working your legs and jump hard, that may be a lot to expect to improve in one month. On the other hand, if you are new, especially to the type of training needed to improve your vertical, it is very possible to improve that much in one month.

Mathias Flækøy
Nick_EOD said:
Hannibal said:
Hello! I have a project in school, where the primary goal is to train for our own. I have chosen "vertical jump" (dont know the english word), and want to improve the vertical jump with about 5cm (1 month) - is that a OK goal by the way?

...Since I already do the WODs, why couldn't I just do the WODs? We should train once a week, yeah i know, pretty weakly, but would these leg workouts improve my verticale jump?

As we know, verticale jumps need alot of explosive power, so could someone tell me if its correct by me to train these leg workouts which include high repping (5,10,15 rep last friday).

I would be so glad if i got response. Sorry for my bad english. Thanks.

Your English is very good, actually. Vertical jump is a correct term, it is also often called vertical leap.

I find the GB WODs are not very leg intensive, as they only do legs usually once a week and sometimes not at all. While those leg WODs are certainly tough, if your goal is primarily to improve your vertical leap, I think you should focus a little extra on that as well.

If you are familiar with Olympic Weightlifting, it is a fantastic way to develop the power needed for a high vertical leap. If not, other exercises like the ones in the WODs (Box jumps, depth jumps, deck squats/jumping squats, etc) are all still very useful for building vertical leap. Just practicing your vertical is also an effective way to train for it as well in addition to other exercises. Heavy squat and deadlifts may be of some benefit as long as you drive with the intention of producing as much speed and power throughout the exercise as possible. Of course, if you are not familiar with the exercises, I wouldn't perform them like that without coaching.

As far as your goal, 5cm in one month, that really depends. If you are a well conditioned athlete and used to working your legs and jump hard, that may be a lot to expect to improve in one month. On the other hand, if you are new, especially to the type of training needed to improve your vertical, it is very possible to improve that much in one month.

Thank you so much!

Would it be beneficial to split up a workout in two pieces? Like having one workout that will be focusing on strength (like pistol squats - do you have other body-leg-strength-exercises btw :D?), and another plyometric workout? Opinions?

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

2 x 13m Inch Worms

10 Shoulder Dislocate

15s Samson Stretch

50 Skips

WOD:

Preform the following:

5 x 100m Rowing Sprints (Damper = 10) Rest 2mins between. (18.7, 18.1 17.8, 17.9, 18.1)

5 X 5 Half GHR (no weight) Rest 3 mins between.

2 x 10 Weighted Killers (40#) Rest 3 mins between.

Finish with accumulation of 60s Straddle L Variation (PB Low)

Freeflyer
Hannibal said:

Thank you so much!

Would it be beneficial to split up a workout in two pieces? Like having one workout that will be focusing on strength (like pistol squats - do you have other body-leg-strength-exercises btw :D?), and another plyometric workout? Opinions?

If you only intend on doing body weight exercises, I don't see much reason split them into different workouts. Just make sure you take adequate rest, probably 3 days, between those leg WODs. I would do the weekly one prescribed here, and then add in your own on another day later in the week.

As far as good maximal strength for lower body without weights, coach pretty much cover everything I can think of in his WODs. Perhaps you could add some variety to the plyo exercises, but it isn't necessary.

Freeflyer

Warm Up:

  • [*:2hhzvk7q]500m Row @ 1:50/500m
    [*:2hhzvk7q]3 rounds of: 20 Pushups; 5 dead hang snatch - 45lbs; 6 1-sided (pull chin up along one arm and back down that arm, switch sides each rep) chest to bar pull-ups; 10 tempo GHD situps; 10 Overhead squats - 45lbs; 3 tempo XR dips; 5 dead hang cleans - 45lbs
    [*:2hhzvk7q]Superset 3 x 20sec frogstand/3 x 20sec PL Lean
    [*:2hhzvk7q]Superset 3 x 15sec XR shoulder stand/3 x 30sec Wall Handstand
    [*:2hhzvk7q]Superset 5 x 10sec XR support/ 5 x 10sec bent knee straddle L
    [*:2hhzvk7q]18' Rope climb, no feet up, foot assisted cirque down

GB WOD:

  • [*:2hhzvk7q]5 x 5 Weighted Run - 45lbs backpack, 24KG kettlebells ea hand (apprx 160lbs total); rnds 1,3,5 sprint 20m forward, 20m backward run; rnds 2,4 sprint agility "T" (run 10m forward, 5m sidestep right, 10m sidestep left, 5m sidestep right, 10m backwards)
    [*:2hhzvk7q]5 x 5 Half GHR
    [*:2hhzvk7q]2 x 10 weighted Killers - 75lbs bar in OH Squat position rnd 1; 95lbs bar in back rack rnd 2
    [*:2hhzvk7q]3 x 20sec XR bent knee Straddle L - rnd 1 both hands outside, rnds 2,3 alternate 1 hand inside legs

Thoughts:

  • [*:2hhzvk7q]Extensive warm up today since I barely worked out at all the past week. I felt the need to get my body back into the groove for most all movements.
    [*:2hhzvk7q]Frog stands are feeling more stable every time, a lot less toe taps for balance. I am starting to try and get my hips higher when I am holding these.
    [*:2hhzvk7q]This was a nice WOD to get back into the swing of things. I love leg workouts, and this one has my nemesis: GHRs.
    [*:2hhzvk7q]I like to go heavy on the weighted runs even though I cannot full out sprint with that weight, because I find it is more similar to dragging people, something that is a very real part of my job. I still keep it at a weight where I am running and not walking though.
    [*:2hhzvk7q]Did a lot of hamstring stretches between each exercise today. Last time we had GHRs they were tight for a week + afterwards. Hopefully this time I that won't be the case.

Alexander Moreen

I bet if you just fixed up your form you could get two or three times your goal. Just practice the actual jump. How are you measuring your vertical?

Neal Winkler
Hannibal said:
Hello! I have a project in school, where the primary goal is to train for our own. I have chosen "vertical jump" (dont know the english word), and want to improve the vertical jump with about 5cm (1 month) - is that a OK goal by the way?

...Since I already do the WODs, why couldn't I just do the WODs? We should train once a week, yeah i know, pretty weakly, but would these leg workouts improve my verticale jump?

As we know, verticale jumps need alot of explosive power, so could someone tell me if its correct by me to train these leg workouts which include high repping (5,10,15 rep last friday).

I would be so glad if i got response. Sorry for my bad english. Thanks.

Considering your question, I assume that you are not very strong otherwise you would have the experience to not need to ask it.

Since you are not very strong, simply improving your maximum leg strength with squats and deadlifts along with practing vertical jumps is what you need. Olympic lifts and things like that should be a secondary concern at this time since your main problem is poor maximum strength.

You can do Coach's leg WOD if you like, but you will need to add in at least more leg day.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD

A) SLS (one leg at a time, 5 reps/leg) 25 lbs x5, 30x5, 35x5, 40x5, 40x4

B) half GHR 5, 5, 3; band assisted natural leg curl (mini jumpstretch band) 5, 5

C) killers 25 lb DB's x 10, 10

Straddle L PB (low) 12 sec x 5 sets; bent leg straddle, thighs parallel 2x15 sec

Kiyoshi

How best to do the GHR without a gym, or equipment

Freeflyer
Kiyoshi said:
How best to do the GHR without a gym, or equipment

Get a friend (or something heavy) to hold your legs down and do it on the floor, or over the edge of a couch or bed even.

Saber2

I did not do the WOD as prescribed but I feel I must post here because this workout although short was brutally tough. It was up there on the puke-o-meter.

5 min Jump roping to warm up

4x Sled sprints 45-50 yards w/200 pounds (my bodyweight is 185) (2 min rest between sets)

4x5 stair climbs with 80lb bag (2 min rest for first two sets followed by 1 min rest for last two sets)

5 min jump roping

50 pushups

50 four count flutter kicks.

It was also a workout getting the sandbags out of the car and carrying them to the field. More so on the way back. I wanted to do 5 sets of the weighted excercises but I was exhausted to the point on the last set of sled sprints the last 5-10 yards was practically a crawl :twisted:

Sorry for posting here I am just not sure if there are a lot of readers on my workout log and I really wanted to share this lol.

Tarun Suri

First WoD I had to skip since I started training (a month) :cry: It might happen again next monday. I hope these are just temporary. It seemed like a really hard leg day!

Tyler Schmitz

Did wod as rx'd:

5 x 30m sprint dragging a 100 lb log from a rope tied to a weight belt around my chest

5 x 5 Half GHR with heels underneath back of lawnmower

2 x 10 Weighted Killers with a 20 lb plate in each hand

6 x 10 sec holds of floor straddle L (hands in front)

Note: rested 3-5 min in between each set; 30 sec in between straddle L holds

Hammies always get sore 2 days after GHR or Natural Leg Curls!!

Josh Schmitter

1st of 2 WOD's today, but no worries as I've been watching a lot of Ninja Warrior :)

Completed:

5x60m Sled Sprint(found my rock backpack is not nearly heavy enough anymore so until I make a tire sled...I doubled it)

5x5 Half GHR : Had very slight angle, but still coming up to 90 degrees with my legs sometimes at the top.

2x10 Weighted Killers: 15lbs in each hand, last set with a cinder block(small)

skipped the straddle L due to time

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Starjumps

Wrist series (palm down leans, palm up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

2 x 15s Bent Straddle L

2 x (15s Planche Lean + 15s Reverse Pushup)

2 x 15s Bent L-sit

WOD - with 4 mins rest between sets, perform:

3 Running up stairs with (~20 lbs?) weighted backpack

3x5 Natural Leg Curls

2x10 Weighted Killers (same backpack)

2x20s Bent Straddle L

Notes:

  • [*:mvzesyim]I did this workout (Monday's) at about noon today (Thursday) and then Tuesday's workout at 8pm today. So this was my first workout since Friday - not ideal.
    [*:mvzesyim]I'm away at the moment with a lack of equipment. No FL or GH work in the warmup, and only time for 3 sets in the first two WOD elements. The backpack was too light, but it couldn't be helped.
    [*:mvzesyim]I was trying a new way to secure my legs in the second NLC set, which gave me incredible cramping pains in my calves - to the extent that I couldn't really walk properly afterwards and could feel the aftermath all day. I guess my assistant wasn't pushing down hard enough on my ankles.