A couple different things. Critique me.

Started by esh, September 11, 2010 · 4 Replies · 2,146 Views

esh

Critique me, please. I just got back into the rings from lifting weights for about 8-9 months and, I must admit, the rings were much easier 20lbs ago. I'm especially curious about the hip level and finer points of my back lever and front lever progression/pull-up. I know it's all pretty ugly, though.

QgfoFTE-i8E

lAq-knUUBYk

Yk6_bd8ULt8

Thanks.

Cole Dano

Overall not bad. The foremost thing that came to my mind is are you able to hold the elementary static FL and BL positions for time? Obviously that wasn't your intent with this posting, but after such a long break, its wise to start a few rungs down the progression ladder and build back up. You don't hold the levers very long in the video but i hope that you are doing holds in your regular practice.

A few other minor things that i noticed, others feel free to embellish or disagree.

Dip range seems limited. To help develop your muscle up, slow down the negative, dip down till the rings touch near the sides of your collar bones, and slowly lower to a full hang.

In your front levers retract your shoulder blades more.

esh

I took your advice, thanks. I'm holding the levers for time, but for my front lever I think I have a weak back, as I can hold the position for awhile but eventually my hips start to drop, though retracting my scapulae made the position feel much more stable for the time. I also slowed down the negative in the MU, which helped me maintain the false grip, as well.

The one thing I don't miss about training rings is adjusting them, then stepping back and eying up if they're level and rinsing/repeating a few times til they actually are. I spend as much time doing that as lifting, I believe.

Cole Dano
esh said:
The one thing I don't miss about training rings is adjusting them, then stepping back and eying up if they're level and rinsing/repeating a few times til they actually are. I spend as much time doing that as lifting, I believe.

:lol:

There is a trick, just bring the rings together in the exact middle and you will see which is higher. After a while it gets pretty natural.

Some people will use white out or finger nail polish to mark the most common heights they use.

esh

I'm not starting a whole new thread, so I guess this will be ongoing for me.

Ignore the bailing at the end, apparently an advanced tuck is way out of my element.

3UaXdqXroNU

Any good?