This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100910

Started by Coach Sommer, September 10, 2010 · 16 Replies · 2,453 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete four rounds:

60 sec Shuttle Run

5 Depth Jumps

10 Box Jumps

15 Jumping Deck Squats

Finish the workout with 2x60 seconds of Seated Toe Point Stretch.

notes:

1) The Shuttle Run should be performed with an all out effort. The primary focus of the Shuttle Run is to elevate the heart rate over 170 BPM.

2) Perform your shuttle runs in the following fashion; sprint out 5yds & return, sprint out 10 yds & return, sprint out 15 yds & return. Continue in this fashion non-stop for 60 seconds.

3) Move immediately from the Shuttle Runs to the Depth Jumps to the Box Jumps to the Jumping Deck Squats.

4) Depth Jumps - jump off an object 3’-10’ high, bending the knees but not allowing the feet to move or step upon landing. If in doubt go lower rather than higher and remember to BEND the knees upon landing!

5) The Box Jumps should be performed from a stand up onto as high a box as possible for all 10 repetitions. An excellent athlete will perform these onto a box that is at least chest high. Add weight with a dumbbell or weight vest if possible. There may be a slight pause in between each of the box jump repetitions.

6) The Jumping Deck Squats should be performed as a single unbroken set of 15 repetitions. Remember to jump as high as possible for each repetition.

7) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

8 ) Do Not skip the Seated Toe Point Stretch.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD

4 rounds

60 sec stationary bike sprint (high resistance)

Depth jumps 4.5' box x 5

Box jumps 40" box x 10

Squat jumps x 15

2x60 sec pointed toe stretch

Tough workout, though I was glad to see it was a leg day! Tried jumping deck squats but was inconsistent so I just switched to jump squats.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

2 x 13m Inch Worms

10 Shoulder Dislocate

15s Samson Stretch

50 Skips

FSP:

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 20s, 20s)

2 x 1 Front Lever(Tuck; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Planche (Adv. Frog; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Manna (MSH Bent; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Back Lever (Full; 3s, 1s) lol

2 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 5s, 4s) fried from BL

WOD:

4 Rounds for Form:

60s Shuttle Sprint

5 Depth Jumps (41")

10 Box Jumps (30")

15 Jumping Deck Squats

Rest 2 mins.

Finish with 2x60s Seated Toe Point Stretch + Other Stretch + 1 x 10 Side Rotator Cuffs.

What do depth jumps benefit except from landing in control and stable?

Leandro

I skipped today's wod, due to my ankle...It's hurting a little from yesterday's training at the gym, and I also wanted to do my cardio today (light running). These sprinting and jumping wods will have to wait a little more...Still, i'm feeling like that student who skipped a class.... =(

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
Leandro said:
I skipped today's wod, due to my ankle...It's hurting a little from yesterday's training at the gym, and I also wanted to do my cardio today (light running). These sprinting and jumping wods will have to wait a little more...Still, i'm feeling like that student who skipped a class.... =(

hehe true but taking care of your ankle is more important though.

Josh Schmitter

Four rounds as rx'd. Did the depth jumps from on top of my car, the box jumps a little higher than last time at slightly below waist level, and the jumping deck squats came a lot easier than normal today. Besides getting a nice grind/hit/swollen on my left shin from 1 of the box jumps during the second round, and having to take a 10-15s rest before the last 5 deck squats, this felt really good.

Did the seated toe point stretch, but I still don't feel anything. My ankles are super flexible and have no shin splint/trouble pointing in any exercise. I'm going to try and do this with my feet on the ground next time as I always end up having some sliding issues by the end of 30s when my feet are elevated.

Tyler Schmitz

4 rds as rx'd:

60 sec shuttle run/jog lol

5 depth jumps (off of 6-7 ft ladder)

10 box jumps (onto 3-3 1/2 ft trampoline edge)

15 jumping deck squats

2 x 60 sec seated toe stretch

rested approx. 10-20 sec bet. exercises, 3 min between rounds

4th round box jumps were killer!

Along with the wods each day, does anyone think that jogging a mile (no more) around 2-3 days a week would be beneficial and not detrimental to strength gains? I wonder bc general heart health is an interest to me. If it does inhibit maximum strength progress, then forget it.

Michael8Christian

thanks for this training for legs very great training

Kiyoshi

Is it okay to do WOD a few days late?

I will do it tomorrow. Oh but are the jumping deck squats just jumping as high as you can? And I'm not sure how to perform the toe exercise ( I read his article on it, but still not sure).

thanks

Wheelson
treemantyler said:

Along with the wods each day, does anyone think that jogging a mile (no more) around 2-3 days a week would be beneficial and not detrimental to strength gains? I wonder bc general heart health is an interest to me. If it does inhibit maximum strength progress, then forget it.

as long as you keep it under a half hour and at maximum 3 times a week all is good. Just make sure you run after your strength workouts. in fact, you can do HIIT (High intensity interval training) which will fry your cardiovascular system and actually ELEVATE HGH and testosterone production in your body, making you more efficient in fat burning, and muscle production.

note: if you do decide on HIIT 2x a week should be more than sufficient 3x would probably be pushing it and lead to overexertion

Joshua Naterman

Spartan:

The depth jumps accomplish a lot of things. They provide a powerful compression stimulus, which causes bones and tendons to thicken, for bones become more dense, and become stronger through these adaptations. The muscles are exposed to forces far beyond what you can generate under a barbell and this stimulates the nervous system to become more efficient and activate more fibers in a shorter period of time.

Let me put it to you in math terms: If you drop from a height of 6 feet, weighted 100 kilos (that's me!) and bend your legs so that your body drops 10" once you hit the ground, you will be absorbing 1920 lbs of impact force. That is not a typo. of you only use 5" of bend once you hit the ground you would be absorbing 3693 lbs of force. Almost 2 tons. Right now I'm dropping from 5 feet and using that range of motion on impact, so I am absorbing between 1469 and 2825lbs of force on impact. It is simply not possible to generate that kind of force with weights. So you see, by increasing the height only 20% the impact force rises by 33%. The higher you go, the higher the percentage goes. It is not linear. This is why it is suggested that you take your time building up your height! You're getting a LOT of stimulation at just 5 feet.

Kiyoshi

I did it! :)

It was tiring, but it was worth it.

This is my first WOD.

But I did it at full intensity

only 2-3 mins rest between rounds

Full sprint for 1st round, 5 deck squats (at thigh height) , then did the box jumps onto the same thing, then did the 15 jumping deck squats.

However on 3rd round I couldnt do the jumping deck squats cause I was out of breath. Did them on 4th . And decided to finish it with 15 pullups.

Anyway few questions, he said for the deck squats 3-10 inches? How much benefit do I get doing them from thigh height? And the jumping deck squats, are you just jumping as high as you can and do you have to squat down for it or is it okay to do them kind of like the senders where you just jump as high as you can? also is it okay if I was running at a fast jog pace the last few rounds? I was out of breath when I finished, so I guess it was a good sign. And lastly is it okay to do these WOD whenever you have time (or a few days late) or does it have to be on the same day the WOD is posted?

Thanks, and I think I will continue the WODS . :D

Joshua Naterman
Kiyoshi said:
I did it! :)

It was tiring, but it was worth it.

This is my first WOD.

But I did it at full intensity

only 2-3 mins rest between rounds

Full sprint for 1st round, 5 deck squats (at thigh height) , then did the box jumps onto the same thing, then did the 15 jumping deck squats.

However on 3rd round I couldnt do the jumping deck squats cause I was out of breath. Did them on 4th . And decided to finish it with 15 pullups.

Anyway few questions, he said for the deck squats 3-10 inches? How much benefit do I get doing them from thigh height? And the jumping deck squats, are you just jumping as high as you can and do you have to squat down for it or is it okay to do them kind of like the senders where you just jump as high as you can? also is it okay if I was running at a fast jog pace the last few rounds? I was out of breath when I finished, so I guess it was a good sign. And lastly is it okay to do these WOD whenever you have time (or a few days late) or does it have to be on the same day the WOD is posted?

Thanks, and I think I will continue the WODS . :D

I think you mean depth jumps! It's 3-10 FEET. ' = feet, " = inches. I'm glad you enjoyed the WOD!

I think you'll be fine with your sprints, your max effort will deteriorate with each round lol! That's unavoidable if you're working as hard as possible.

It would be best if you could keep up the basic WOD schedule, if you need to shift the days some so that you are like 2 days behind that's ok, some people like doing that so that they can see how other people are scaling the WODs.

If you DO have to modify the schedule to 3x per week or something then it would be best if you could do 2 sessions on one of those days. Trust me, that won't screw anything up. Just try to get all 4 wods each week, and try to do them in the order they come up. It's ok to be a week behind or something, that may actually help you at first.

Kiyoshi

Thanks , I'll do that :)

Gavin Strelitz

Completed three rounds:

60s Shuttle runs

5 x Depth Jumps

5 x Box Jumps

5 x Jumping Deck Squats

Tough one, legs feel like jelly after. I'll work on increasing the number of reps in the set.

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down/up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

2 x (15s Bent Straddle + 15s Low L Hang)

2 x (15s Planche Lean + 15s Reverse Pushup)

2 x (15s Bent L-sit + 15s German Hang)

WOD - 4 rounds of:

60 sec Shuttle Jog

5 26″ Depth Jumps

10 26″ Box Jumps

15/10/11/10 Jumping Deck Squats

Forgot the 2x60s Seated Toe Point Stretch

Notes:

  • [*:2j8g8ga4]This was tough, and I was breathing damn hard by the end of the sets, but I got through with zero rest between elements.
    [*:2j8g8ga4]My Shuttle Run was more like a Jog than an all-out sprint, but still got my heart rate pretty high. Maybe not quite to 170, unfortunately, though I doubt I could've got through the Box Jumps and Jumping Deck Squats had I sprinted.
    [*:2j8g8ga4]Ideally I'd like to do higher depth jumps - I haven't found anything higher to do them from.
    [*:2j8g8ga4]The Box Jumps were low too, but probably at about the right height for now (a couple of inches below mid-thigh). I wasn't too far off failure for the last rep.
    [*:2j8g8ga4]Although I felt my Jumping Deck Squats were consistent in height and explosiveness throughout, I stopped early in the latter 3 sets when I suddenly couldn't summon myself from the squat position anymore. I forced myself to do one better in the 3rd set than the 2nd, but there was no way that I could duplicate that for the 4th set. :)
    [*:2j8g8ga4]Yeah, I was in a hurry and forgot the stretch at the end. Whoops.

Tarun Suri

Almost finished 3 rounds. Stopped when I couldn't complete my 9th deck squat. I find it very hard to keep my balance and stand tall after the deck squat. I usually end of jumping backwards or something. I was very surprised at how much this movement engaged the core.