This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100903

Started by Coach Sommer, September 3, 2010 · 17 Replies · 2,686 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

12 cycles of XR Strap HS

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes after completing all of the Press HS work and then begin the XR Strap HS.

8 ) Each XR Strap HS cycle consists of 30 work followed by 45 seconds of rest. Go directly from one cycle to the next with no additional rest.

9) DO NOT come down during the 30 seconds of HS. If you do come down, that cycle does not count towards your total of 12 cycles.

10) To perform XR Strap HS drop your Xtreme Rings down to 6â€-8†from the ground. Now kick up into a handstand widely straddling your legs so that they wrap around the straps. Straighten and lock your arms as much as possible and begin timing your HS.

11) The XR Strap HS can be made much more physically demanding by placing your feet along the inside of the straps rather than wrapping your legs around the straps. The intensity can be further increased by ensuring that your elbows are completely locked and straight.

12) If XR Strap HSs are currently too demanding, perform Wall HS instead; although every effort should be made to complete the workout with XR Strap HS.

Mathias Flækøy

This was my third week with _the__WODs_.

Warmup:

30sec Straddle L

30sec Tuck FL

30sec Straddle L

30sec Tuck FL

30sec frog stand

30sec L-sit

30sec frog stand with almost straight elbows. :)

WOD:

5+5 cast wall walks

5 pike press headstand

10 straddle press headstand

and the cycle.

30sec handstand

45sec rest

x 12

right?

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU: 2 x 13m Inch Worms (Flexibility getting better in hamstrings)

15s Samson Stretch

10 Shoulder dislocate

50 Skips

FSP: I forgot to do this :(

WOD:

1 x 10 Cast Wall Walks; rest 2 mins

1 x 5 HSPU on Paralletes (I mixed this up with Pike Press; shoulders fried now) rest 2 mins

1 x 5 Pike Press with 30" Box

1 x 10 Straddle Press with 24" Box

6 Cycles of XR Strap HS

Finished with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups

This was hard as hell! destroyed me! :shock:

Wheelson

hey guys quick question... well, life got in the way yesterday and I didn't get a chance to do the WOD should I do that one today and the handstand workout tmo, or could I just go for two training sessions today (it's entirely doable with the completely different targeted muscle groups)?

any ideas are appreciated

Freeflyer
Wheelson said:
hey guys quick question... well, life got in the way yesterday and I didn't get a chance to do the WOD should I do that one today and the handstand workout tmo, or could I just go for two training sessions today (it's entirely doable with the completely different targeted muscle groups)?

any ideas are appreciated

I do 2-a-days fairly often, but unless you are conditioned for it, it is pretty brutal. Even with the different muscle groups involved, you will still really feel it. I also would not advise doing them unless you can take a good 6-8hrs off in between them, to let your body recover. I usually do my morning workouts at 7am and then my afternoon ones don't get done till 4-6pm. Even with 9-11hrs of rest in between I can usually still feel it in that second WOD.

I would suggest just doing one today and one tomorrow and just taking one rest day on sunday (unless you feel you need another day on Monday, then take it!). The other advantage to this is the full day of rest between your FSPs as well.

I am feeling pretty beat up, so instead of doing this WOD and O-lifting today like I would normally, I am taking today as a rest day and doing them tomorrow. Then I will continue as normal on monday. Just learn to listen to what your body is saying it is capable of.

Wheelson

Well, I'm fairly conditioned to the work, and I'm feeling especially energetic today, so I'll attempt both and if I'm too fatigued I'll pick up where I left off another day. Thanks for the input

Justin Kyle

This was challenging but felt great!

Warm up:

30 sec L-sit x 2

30 sec adv. frog stand x 3

15 sec flat tuck FL x 4

15 sec flat tuck BL x 4

Workout:

-1x10 Cast Wall Walks (did all 10 in one set! I was really pleased)

-1x5 Pike box press HS (I can straddle press HS but have never tried pike. Took the first few reps to get the feel but these felt great after that)

-1x10 straddle box press HS (these felt easy after the previous pike presses. The last 3 reps were brutal though!)

-12 cycles of XR HS - (Had not done the 12 HS cycles on rings yet. These microwaved my shoulders and traps! I did 30 sec holds on the first 7 sets but the last 5 were in the 20-25 sec range)

-2x10 wrist pushups (these still hurt too much to perform without being on the knees)

Notes

-FL is feeling better and better with each session. Very excited!

Cody Clark

Do you have to be able to do a freestanding handstand to do a ring handstand with feet on straps. Also could you have some one help you up on to the straps because if I kick I just can't straddle and I do a flip around the rings.

Josh Schmitter

Just finished this one up...did a double(yesterday and todays WOD) today.

1x10 cast wall walks 5,5 with only about 2 steps away with each hand(4 steps away total) and back.

1x5 Pike Press HeS

1x10 Straddle Press HeS

12 cycles of wall handstands -these felt pretty good. Started feeling it in the wrist, right at the base of the palm, but put a folded over rug under about 2/3's of the way through and alleviated it a little.

2x10 wrist pushups...still on knees, about the same.

Couple things: Noticed my back is slightly arched in the headstand, and it should be dead straight correct?

Also during my warm up the german hang is still killing me...my left elbow is getting a little touchy even when my feet are supporting some of my weight. I can hold a tuck BL without any discomfort, but something about my position in the hang doesn't jive. I think I might be pushing out more than down. I will just take some more weight on my feet for now and see if it gets more comfortable. Going to check out slizzardman's prehab video again to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Leandro

I did

All FSP + german hang and planche lean.

5x2 Cast wall walks

5 pike press to HeS

10 Straddle press to HeS

10 minutes of free handstand training, like this

RpBC4GbNAKs

Josh Schmitter

That is an awesome free handstand. I can only hold it that long with arch at the moment, but that is definitely inspiring for me. Thanks for posting.

Max Johnson

NLC pain from yesterday as predicted. Apparently hamstring soreness doesn't impede walking, but it was uncomfortable doing pushups on knees today.

Warmup:

Starjumps, jumprope.

Wrist series (palm down leans, palm up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

3 x (15s Bent Straddle + 15s Low L Hang)

2 x (15s Planche Lean + 15s Reverse Pushup)

3 x (15s Bent L-sit + 15s German Hang)

WOD:

1x8 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HeS (then rest 2 mins)

1x10 Straddle Box Press HeS (then rest 5 mins)

12 cycles of Wall HS (30s work, 45s rest)

2x10 Wrist Pushups (on knees)

1x10 Ido's Scapula Mobilisation Routine

Notes:

  • [*:g8zvnlkp]Cast Wall Walks are still tiring - I did 8 with a couple of short rests.
    [*:g8zvnlkp]I was pretty damn happy (and surprised) to get my first ever press to HeS today. Unlike last week, I found I could suddenly lift my legs after correcting my hands to be a few inches away from the wall (rather than touching, duh) and elevating my head about 1.5 inches on a towel. I'm using a box of about knee height to stack my hips.
    [*:g8zvnlkp]The Wall HS was tough - much more volume than I trained before starting the WODs. There were a few 25s holds and 60s rests here in the latter sets, I'm afraid.
    [*:g8zvnlkp]Apart from the hamstring pain, the Wrist Pushups felt incredible today - much more fluid, strong and stable than ever. I would've guessed they'd be harder after a HS WOD, but it seems not. Scapula stuff felt good too.

Leandro
TANSTAAFL said:
That is an awesome free handstand. I can only hold it that long with arch at the moment, but that is definitely inspiring for me. Thanks for posting.

Thanks man! Actually some time ago I was arching a lot too, but with some shoulder flexibility and forearm strength work I'm improving it! Doing them stomach to wall helps a lot!

Joshua Naterman
TANSTAAFL said:
Just finished this one up...did a double(yesterday and todays WOD) today.

1x10 cast wall walks 5,5 with only about 2 steps away with each hand(4 steps away total) and back.

1x5 Pike Press HeS

1x10 Straddle Press HeS

12 cycles of wall handstands -these felt pretty good. Started feeling it in the wrist, right at the base of the palm, but put a folded over rug under about 2/3's of the way through and alleviated it a little.

2x10 wrist pushups...still on knees, about the same.

Couple things: Noticed my back is slightly arched in the headstand, and it should be dead straight correct?

Also during my warm up the german hang is still killing me...my left elbow is getting a little touchy even when my feet are supporting some of my weight. I can hold a tuck BL without any discomfort, but something about my position in the hang doesn't jive. I think I might be pushing out more than down. I will just take some more weight on my feet for now and see if it gets more comfortable. Going to check out slizzardman's prehab video again to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Take it nice and slow, and try not to intentionally hold a partial position. It is extremely hard on the elbows to press out of a german hang and if you're actively resisting gravity during the hang then that is exactly what is happening to your elbow(you are exerting a TON of force on it and it's hurting as a result). I don't know what Coach's approach to this would be, that would be good to know. I'll have to make some notes about some of the common questions that are coming up here and see what I can dig up.

I think that your best bet is to support more of your weight and get your body as vertical as possible, then slowly work on lessening the assistance. You should probably take it a little easy on the timetable and work the German Hang so that it doesn't hurt, and take a few weeks before increasing the difficulty at all.

Kenneth Manning

Didn't have time to post yesterday, so here was my WOD:

Cast wall walks 2x5 - 30 sec break between each set of 5. Really trying to walk my feet "all the way" down the wall, the problem I keep encountering is that my back starts to "sag" as I near the bottom. getting better though.

pike press HeS, head elevated 4" x 5, 5, 5

pike press HeS, head on floor x 10

straddle press HeS, head on floor x 10

12 cycles of wall HS - I was messing with my XR's, but was still hesitant about jumping up into a handstand on them, don't have the confidence quite yet after falling forward and crashing on my back the first time I attempted these (a few weeks ago).

wrist pushups: 1x10 on knees, felt "better" than usual, so then I did,

legs straddled, hips slightly piked (not on knees) wrist pushups x 10

then, first ever straight body, standard wrist pushup x 6. Could hardly believe it, considering when I started the WODs I was extremely uncomfortable doing these even on my knees.

Josh Schmitter
slizzardman said:
Take it nice and slow, and try not to intentionally hold a partial position. It is extremely hard on the elbows to press out of a german hang and if you're actively resisting gravity during the hang then that is exactly what is happening to your elbow(you are exerting a TON of force on it and it's hurting as a result). I don't know what Coach's approach to this would be, that would be good to know. I'll have to make some notes about some of the common questions that are coming up here and see what I can dig up.

I think that your best bet is to support more of your weight and get your body as vertical as possible, then slowly work on lessening the assistance. You should probably take it a little easy on the timetable and work the German Hang so that it doesn't hurt, and take a few weeks before increasing the difficulty at all.

Thanks a lot. I will definitely being going on the easy side starting next week with the elbow, getting out the camera and trying to focus on verticality(new word). I keep watching the beginning that video of yours over and over, trying to stay more upright, but something is just off...it could be the height of my bar, maybe a chair under me would be better so it's more the height of your video, but I think once I start video I'll be able to get it. Thanks again.

Tarun Suri

Skipped this workout. For good reason though!

I did about 4 hours of tree-link (arbre en arbre). With crazy obstacle courses 10-40 feet in the air with lots of zip lining and obstacles. Primarily lots of balance work and pulling and pushing strength is required. But really a LOT of pulling strength. I'll need these two rest days.

I highly recommend the activity to test how our gymnastics training makes it easier and possible discover some weaknesses.

Wheelson

did the work as prescribed.

10 cast wall walks

5 pike press headstands

10 straddle press headstands

12 rounds of brutal handstands (floor rings were unavailable that day =( )

it was more like 14-15 rounds however, cause my allergies were acting up and I started sneezing about 20 seconds in during two or three rounds :evil:

my shoulders were on fire after this workout