Mobility work & flexibility

Started by Rasmus B, September 2, 2010 · 10 Replies · 3,701 Views

Rasmus B

Hi

I am very confused about how to incorporate some mobility and flexibility work into my workout days.

Can you briefly touch this subject and maybe give me some guidelines and a simple program until I can dig deeper into it when "Liquid Steel™" can be bought.

I have seached a lot on this forum but I can't find a full mobility plan.

So far I have come up with this:

German hangs

Wall slides

Band dislocates

Scapula mobility (Ido Portal)

Scapula stabilization (Ido Portal)

Ankle stretching

Splits

Bridge wall walks

Active back flexibility

Wrist push-up (10 reps)

First knuckle (10 reps)

The problem is I dont know if it will cover all joints and I think it will take too long if it should be done every workout.

Can you help me find a usefull mobility program? :)

Tarun Suri

Full mobility workout plans never lasted long for me. Just trains the ones you are deficient at. Starting with the one you milk most out of. Even 5 minutes a day is better than a full plan that you'll stop after a few weeks, IMO.

jl5555

I think Ido, a moderator here, talks about the fusion of mobility and flexibility the best. I would search for his posts and study them with care. Full of lots of great advice. He also has a full suite of videos on YouTube which should be researched as well.

Rasmus B

I have now tried to find articles from Ido but I can't find a full mobility plan :S

I would appretiate if someone could give me some guidelines on mobility and flexibility work?

Rasmus B

I still can't find a good page or article that explains the stuff you have to know when you want to design a mobility and flexibility routine. Anyone who can help me? - Maybe Ido or one of the other moderators? :)

Tarun Suri
SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:
This might help you guys: http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/

Thanks for that link. I think it'll be a good way to spice up my warmdown after the WoD.

Brendan Coad
SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:
This might help you guys: http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/

great concept but I don't really like the way the WOD's are presented though, it seems very unclear. I feel like I could spend 10 minutes per day just figuring out what I'm supposed to do.

Tarun Suri
Brendan Coad said:
SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:
This might help you guys: http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/

great concept but I don't really like the way the WOD's are presented though, it seems very unclear. I feel like I could spend 10 minutes per day just figuring out what I'm supposed to do.

What's wrong with that? You're spending 10 minutes exploring your body in various positions. Don't think there is no benefit to that. Also, if you just watch the video, it's more than clearly explained.

Moments after I posted my earlier post I realised that the blog is from none other than Kelly Starrett. My freaking hero. He helped me bridge the gap between movement and postural health. He was the missing element to my many years of knowledge accumulated. Spartan, I'm stoked to have found this :!:

Cole Dano

A loose rule of thumb is for mobility / warm up to last around 20 minutes.

There is no need to go through the entire body every session, try to do the mobility the connects to the work out you are doing that day. Ring Work = shoulder mobility, Leg = Hips etc.....

Deeper stretching can be done after the workout as well as when muscles are warm they respond better to stretching.

Brendan Coad

I take back everything I said. What an awesome resource. I think there must have been a disconnect for me with the first video I watched but everything else since then has been super clear.