HeSPU attempts

Started by Samuel Carr, September 2, 2010 · 13 Replies · 4,864 Views

Samuel Carr

Hey this is the first time i've been able to do full head to floor HeSPUs, but im wondering if they actually count. Two things i noticed were that my hands may possibly be too wide apart, and that my elbows/arms are going out to the side rather than staying in...

6LZVbmcMxf4

(couldnt figure out how to embed)

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Good Job.

A little bit to wide. The hand positions should be approximately shoulder width. A good general rule(although not exact) is place the forearm on the floor your width should be between tip of fingers and elbow(this is same for width between rings or parrallel bars). Make markings and go with that. At first it will be hard but thats the width of the actual HeSPU.

What do you guys think?

Oh and Embedded just put the stuff after the =... example for you its the "6LZVbmcMxf4"

Hope I was a good help.

Samuel Carr

What about the elbows going to the side rather than staying in?

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

elbows stay in yes.

Animalonfire

QD5nerikSGw

Hence Bulgarian variations

Samuel Carr

Wow he makes it look way easier. When I try to keep my elbows in it's way harder

Eddie Stelling

I thought these were considered wall HSPUs?? If this is HeSPU, what is the difference?

Cole Dano
Eddie said:
I thought these were considered wall HSPUs?? If this is HeSPU, what is the difference?

HePU = Headstand Push Up - You lower to the height of a headstand, head and hands and same level.

HPU =Handstand Push Up - You lower the shoulders to the level of the hands. to do this you need to raise up off the floor at least the height of your head using blocks, PBs or rings.

Eddie Stelling

Well, what if you are doing a free standing HSPU on the floor? You can't go that far?? The way you described it sounds to me like you can not perform HSPUs on the floor? Sorry to be asking stupid questions, I am confused on an issue I thought I fully understood. I thought a HeSPU was pressing up to a HS when you are in a HeS. I always thought that there were two ways to do HSPUs, head to ground or nose to ground such that you are looking at the ground. Sorry man do you mind clarifying again?

Neal Winkler

That's correct, you cannot do HSPU (handstand pushup) on floor, only HeSPU (headstand pushup). It doesn't matter if your head or nose touches, or if you start from the headstand or from a handstand, it's still a headstand pushup.

Handstand pushup ups can only be done on something that allows your head to go below your hands, such as rings, parralettes, ect.

Cole Dano

Most of the world calls HePU a Handstand Push Up. In gymnastics the distinction is made to make it clear that a HePU is only a partial ROM movement. Same if you were to do a military press from the top of your head up, its not a full military press then.

As for the turning the head etc that really isn't relevant and will start to cause bad form as it will usually mean lots of arching in the back.

The main thing to understand that Gymnastics terminology isn't always the same as the rest of the worlds so its no surprise if you're confused at first.

Amongst friends call it what you want here its only an HeSPU.

You can do it on the floor in the sense that you could use some blocks, books etc on the floor to raise your hands.

Edit: Triangle answered at the same time as me!

Eddie Stelling

WOW! I had no idea! Well, thanks for clarifying. I have gotten up to a max of 20-21 headstand pushups (HeSPUs) on the wall and have been calling them handstand pushups (HSPUs)! I apologize to who ever I let think I am much stronger than I really am! I am nowhere near 21 of the full ROM HSPU, more like 3-5 of those. Thanks for your time fellas!

Cole Dano

Eddie don't sell your self short 3-5 HSPUs is nothing to laugh at!

Seiji

^

I can't even do one correctly! :D