Planche Progressions

Started by swift, September 1, 2010 · 6 Replies · 2,974 Views

swift

Planche progression on floor

SRnXvv8kcCQ

Planche progression on homemade paralettes

VXM_NDc1r-s

Any tips on how to make sure my hips don't drop down like in the 1st video?

I always have to wrap my feet together to prevent from touching the floor when my hips loses it.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

I like how you put one foot on the other to prevent it from touching floor :mrgreen:

You just got to spend more time in the position and keep practicing.

Darius

Your hips are dropping because your shoulders are tiring. Best bet is to do more sets with a shorter hold time, up to a minute of total work. Planches are one of those skills that often seem like they take forever to make progress.

swift

LOL. It's somewhat cheating too.

There are some days when my hips can get real high, that feels awesome.

swift
Darius said:
Your hips are dropping because your shoulders are tiring. Best bet is to do more sets with a shorter hold time, up to a minute of total work. Planches are one of those skills that often seem like they take forever to make progress.

That sounds kinda counterintuitive.

I've worked up to 5 sets of 12 seconds. But I guess it doesn't really mean much if I can't do it in proper form.

Alright, so that means my new hold time will depend on how long my hips are up?

Daniel Jorgensen
swift said:
Darius said:
Your hips are dropping because your shoulders are tiring. Best bet is to do more sets with a shorter hold time, up to a minute of total work. Planches are one of those skills that often seem like they take forever to make progress.

That sounds kinda counterintuitive.

I've worked up to 5 sets of 12 seconds. But I guess it doesn't really mean much if I can't do it in proper form.

Alright, so that means my new hold time will depend on how long my hips are up?

Darius is right. You should maybe switch it around: 12 sets of 5 seconds. On the parallel-vid your hips drop after 5 sec ;) As soon as your hips start dropping, the muscle work becomes eccentric and much more damaging - leading to prolonged recovery time.

But I feel with you - its difficult to be that strict on yourself - I have the same problem :)

Tarun Suri

Planche leans might help as well.