jasonmstein said:...This is one of the strengths of the Crossfit system, as well as the O-lifting WODs at Catalyst: they provide either daily in-class or online measurable competition as well as measured/timed/scored workouts repeated as benchmarks and tests.I know Coach Sommer is hard at work writing the subsequent books and, y'know, COACHING COMPETITIVE ATHLETES that his personal time is limited, but the next stage of evolution for Gymnastic Bodies would be Gymnastic Body Benchmark Workouts, repeated at select intervals, as well as on-line gymnastic "meets" a la 70s Big "Super Totals," Catalyst Athletics' "Totals," or other competitions.
best,
jason
That already exists. In the SSC we should be testing our maxes every 8-12 weeks and revising the work sets. In the WODs, the same WODs show up 2-3x per month, so you should be able to judge any progress by how easily you can replicate your previous performance. Sometimes I don't even get any more reps, but I notice that I am less drained or I have slightly better form than the last time. That's progress!
Triangle, where you're at isn't bad at all for a year of training! The only reason I am where I am is because I already had build massive strength(in certain areas) in the weight room over a period of like 5 years! Just because I've only been here a year and a half doesn't mean I've only been TRAINING for a year and a half. I have literally got a lifetime of training that has allowed me to make fast initial progress and now I am moving forward slowly just like you are. Heck, I'm still on Advanced frog lol!!!
Are you working your FSP each WOD day? From what you said about your planche I am wondering if you are keeping up with your SSC.
What you can do now is beyond what I could do my first day despite that lifetime of training, and as many have mentioned we all develop at different rates. My friend Andrew is like you. 6'2, 170 lbs. I am far, far stronger than he is and I have made faster progress, but he's still making progress. At first he was discouraged by my progress versus his, but we talked several times and reset his mindset. He will never be as big as me without massive amounts of steroids and/or a decade of hypertrophy specific training, because that's not how he is built and it's not how he eats. He will also have a Manna long before I will. I can't even come close to his progress there.
If you feel like something is holding you back, experiment some with the volume! If you look at my WODs, you'll notice that while I do the exercises, I sometimes take more rest and I sometimes do less reps than recommended. I have my reasons for this, and it is because I know how my body works now so I know how to set myself up for failure. As long as I avoid THAT, I can't help but succeed.
I think that a similar process may help you a lot as well.
EDIT: I can't even do 1 FULL ROM HSPU. You're further along than me and a LOT of people here there. You and I are at fairly similar levels on about half of your work, so don't think you're doing things wrong!