This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100830

Started by Coach Sommer, August 30, 2010 · 19 Replies · 2,934 Views

Coach Sommer

IwJ80DDIeNE

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo XR Bulgarian Row

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo XR PPP Plus

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo Body Levers

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier Row/Pushup variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

3) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

4) Use a tempo of 212 for the basic strength sets. This equates to a 2 second descent, followed by a 1 second pause at the bottom, then a 2 second ascent.

5) You may scale the workout as necessary by substituting another exercise from the same movement family as necessary if a particular movement is either too easy or too difficult.

6) Do not forget to elevate your feet briefly off of the ground at the bottom of each XR PPP Plus rep.

7) Add weight at your ankles if necessary to make the Body Levers sufficiently challenging for the 5 repetitions.

8 ) DO NOT rush through this workout. Be calm and deliberate; taking your time between sets and focusing on maximal efforts during the sets.

9) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

Guest

I scaled this WOD down to:

3 sets each:

1 Embedded Tuck BL (from German Hang) + 5 Tempo XR Bulgarian Row (damn the doorway pullupbar-XR setup... can't go wider than the doorframe!)

1 Embedded XR L-sit (from XR Support) + 5 Tempo XR Pushups

1 Embedded Tuck FL (from Inverted Hang) + 5 Tempo Tuck Body levers

Finished the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

Freeflyer

Is it 3 sets of statid + FBE then 3 of the next and 3 of the last or is it 1 of each Static + FBE set 3 times?

Also is a giant set 3 full sets (either way) or just one static + FBE?

jutajata

Sorry for my ignorance but I searched through the forum and didn't find any reference to bulgarian rows, neither on the book, what is a bulgarian row?

gymgreg
jutajata said:
Sorry for my ignorance but I searched through the forum and didn't find any reference to bulgarian rows, neither on the book, what is a bulgarian row?

The "Bulgarian" refers to the arm position used for the particular exercise.

Your arms are supposed to go to the side of your body and end in a 90 degree elbow bend.

See Coach's Bulgarian Dips clip

9mKyrPmmPt0

or Bulgarian XR HSPU clipZNCupJIYP6M

Now for Bulgarian rows elevate your feet roughly to the same level as your rings are (put them on a box or a chair).

When hanging with your arms straight and your feet on the box, your shoulders are leveled slightly below your feet.

And now you start pulling yourself up (keep body straight) and finish the movement with your arms being to your side and your elbows bend 90 degrees at the top of the pull.

Joshua Naterman

The absolute most important part of the Bulgarian rows, and I'll be sure to point this out on my video today, is that you have your arms perfectly in line with each other. THere should be a perfectly straight line from elbow to shoulder to shoulder to elbow. Failure to perform this way will rob you of the primary benefit of this row. Successful execution will make you realize right away what the difference is lol! You'll feel it HARD in your rear delts and traps. It's way different than being even slightly off.

We all got owned on this one at the last seminar! NONE of us did them right.

Saber2

3 sets of:

Embedded Tuck BL+ 5 tempo bulgarian rows

Embedded XR L sit + 5 tempo PPP. Getting the legs in the air was tough. I think I was flopping if anything. So I started to go even deeper in the pushup.

Embedded Straddle Tuck FL + 5 tempo body levers

The FL is turning to be real tricky for me. I cannot seem to rotate the hips down in the straddle position. Thats why I call it a straddle tuck. Overall the workout felt really good. I am looking forward to Slizzardman's video to help out with the bulgarian rows.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Do we go 3 sets of each one or all = 1 set?

Like do I finish my 3 sets of the embbeded BL with XR Bulg Row then move on to next or do all and come back to this one for my second set?

Might be a stupid question but just wanted to know that I'm doing it right.

Mats Trane

Thanks Slizz for the tip on the Bulgarian Rows! What à difference

I'm FRIED :evil:

Guest
...do I finish my 3 sets of the embbeded BL with XR Bulg Row then move on to next...

This.

Otherwise they will be referred to as 'rounds', I think. There was some discussion on this some time ago in the thread of one of the WODs, with a clarification by Coach S.

Josh Schmitter

This felt ok, not great, not bad, but just ok. I did like a shorter warm-up as all the statics in the WOD cut that down a lot.

3 sets of:

1 embedded 15s German hang with feet on floor(this still feels really awkward on my left elbow and the shoulders/chest...it's amazing how much harder this is than a tuck BL). With tempo regular old XR rows...a little help with my feet towards the end as my forearms were on fire.

1 embedded 15s XR L-sit legs just under 90. 5 very slightly leaning PPP on floor. Struggled on the last set with tempo.

1 embedded 15s tuck FL...with 5 ugly tuck Body levers...something is still feeling very wrong with these as I'm feeling them mostly in the shoulders and neck, like I'm scrunched up too much or I don't know.

The wall walks were rough after the levers...did 2 sets of 5 with a little weighted pike stretch after.

Just to hopefully clear up the 'giant set' issue. It was confusing for me at first as well, but this is how I understand it. A giant set is considered to be the embedded static with the 5rep strength set(i.e. 1 embedded BL + 5 Tempo Rows = 1 giant set). So the way this WOD is written, if I'm not mistaken, is to do 3 'giant sets' in a row(of the same static/strength pair), then move on to the next static/strength pair and do 3 more giant sets, etc. Hopefully that helped someone instead of making it more confusing :).

Max Johnson

My legs were still a little sore until today from those squat jumps last week. :lol:

Workout:

Warmup:

Starjumps, jumprope.

FSP warmup:

2 x (15s Bent Straddle + 15s Low L Hang)

2 x (15s Planche Lean + 15s Reverse Pushup)

2 x (15s Bent L-sit + 15s German Hang)

WOD:

Warmup with 2x5 Unelevated Rows and 2x5 Regular XR Pushups

3x (15s German Hang, 20s rest, 5 tempo XR Elevated Row, 2min rest)

3x (15s Bent L-sit, 20s rest, 5 tempo XR Bulgarian Pushups, 2min rest)

3x (15s Low L-hang, 20s rest, 5 tempo Tuck Body Levers, 2min rest)

2x5 Bridge Wall Walks

Notes:

  • [*:ybpu7vxt]Woah! Tempo makes everything a lot harder. Maybe because I accidently used a tempo of 313...
    [*:ybpu7vxt]Never tried body levers before - I like 'em! I did them tuck but then straightened my legs at the top and bottom for a little extra fun. I wonder how long it'll be before I can do these straight and controlled.
    [*:ybpu7vxt]Also touched my fingers and head to the ground in bridge wall walks for the first time today, but I still can't easily walk fully back up to standing. I don't think I'm too far off a real bridge.

Leandro

This is round 2 of my wod:

0twmaZFy0Nc

The crappy webcam messed up the sound sync, anyway the sound doesn't really matter =P

Did 3 rounds, and finished with 10 bridge wall walks. Can't do them in a row yet. I rested between every rep.

Cody Clark

Are suppose to do this like 3 sets of embedded BL + 5 Rows then to next one or one after the other like all three embedded work then back to first one for three.

Freeflyer

First full GBWOD :D

Warm Up:

  • [*:1t3x7lb0]1000m row @ 2min pace to get loose and sweaty
    [*:1t3x7lb0]Superset 3 sets of 20sec frog stand/3 sets of 20sec Planche Lean with feet even with head
    [*:1t3x7lb0]Superset 3 sets of 15sec XR shoulder stand - feet on outside of straps squeezing in for balance/2 sets of 30 sec Handstand - belly to wall, use wall as little as possible
    [*:1t3x7lb0]Superset 5 sets of 10sec XR support/5 sets 10 bent knee straddle L (hands inside legs)

WOD:

3 rounds:

  • [*:1t3x7lb0]1 tuck back lever - roll into from inverted pike, roll out of into inverted pike; 5 tempo XR Bulgarian row - feet elevated to be slightly above head in rest postion
    [*:1t3x7lb0]1 kipping muscle up into low(ish) straight leg XR L-sit; 5 tempo PPPu (no plus here, I tried a few but it was really just a hop and added nothing to the workout) -feet elevated to be above hands
    [*:1t3x7lb0]1 Advanced Tuck FL - lower into from inverted hang, lower out of to floor; 5 tempo body lever. These were very new to me and took some figuring out. The first 2 rounds I did pike up to straight body negative. Only issue was I could not stop myself from stopping on the floor between reps like this. Last round I did in the advanced tuck position. This was much easier to control at the bottom where I had some trouble with the other version, although I didn't feel like I got nearly as much out of it it in the top 85% of the movement.
    [*:1t3x7lb0]2x5 wall extensions. I got my hand about9 inches from the ground on all of these and used my arms as little as possible to pull myself back up.
    [*:1t3x7lb0]2x30 sec weighted pike stretch

Thoughts:

  • [*:1t3x7lb0]Wow, this was one heck of a core buster. If I keep up with core WODs like this by the time I deploy next year I will be able to take a bullet in the abs without armor, lol.
    [*:1t3x7lb0]Upper back is feeling a little sore are well. That foam roller sure felt good after this WOD. Some thoracic rolls and lat rolls really did the trick.
    [*:1t3x7lb0]It feels a little different ending a WOD with so much energy left. I am so used to CF WODs where it is always all out for time and by the time I am finished I am laying on the deck making sweat angels.
    [*:1t3x7lb0]2-3 minute breaks seem to take forever. I never know what to do with myself during those time. Maybe I should bring a book next WOD, lol. On the other hand 20sec seems to go by in a flash.
    [*:1t3x7lb0]Those bulgarian rows were surprisingly hard. I have done plenty of ring rows before but never that style and rarely at a tempo. I think my form sucked on a lot of them because I know my upper arms like to slip down (elbows towards hips) away from being perpendicular to my torso. I also could not get a good 90 at the elbows on the top. The angle was usually much smaller.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
biomieg said:
...do I finish my 3 sets of the embbeded BL with XR Bulg Row then move on to next...

This.

Otherwise they will be referred to as 'rounds', I think. There was some discussion on this some time ago in the thread of one of the WODs, with a clarification by Coach S.

Thx.

WU: 10 Shoulder Dislocate, 2x 13m Inch Worms, 15s Samson Stretch then progressed hard with pushups and ring rows.

FSP: 3 x 1 Planche Variation Started bend arm frog because i was sweating so advanced frog was hard in beginning but then I whiped my hands and got it. (40, 10, 10)

3 x 1 Floor L-Sit (10, 9 ,8 )

I did BL yesterday so changed BL to planche for todays WOD.

3 sets each:

1 Embedded Planche(adv frog; hit 15s each); 20s rest; 5 Tempo XR Elevated Buglarian Row @ Rx'ed Tempo

1 Embedded L-Sit (did hanging from bar L-Sit; didn't go se well because did floor l-sit before lol); 20s rest; 5 Tempo PPP on floor feet on 12" box @ Rx'ed tempo

1 Embedded FL(tuck; hit 15s each);20s rest; 5 Tempo 4s down negative Body Levers; can't go back up yet.

touch stuff.

10 Brigde wall walks went well

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD, 3 sets each:

BL x 15 sec, XR bulgarian rows tempo x 5

XR L sit x 15 sec, XR PPP tempo x 5 (no plus here, feet stayed on floor)

Adv tuck FL x 15 sec, body levers tempo x 5 (first 2 sets full lay, last set straddle)

10 bridge wall walks

*for whatever reason I just felt weak today. My XR L sit, legs were slightly below parallel for pretty much all 3 sets, usually I'm able to keep them solidly parallel to the ground. Tried to do XR PPP plus, and although I could sort of kick my feet up, I couldn't seem to do it while maintaining a straight body, so I just stayed with ol' regular XR PPP.

Newguy

Done :? For some reason it was not as hard as the others...

Wheelson

today I gave it my all and felt strong throughout the workout

warm up played around with some full lay back levers and front lever pulls with pauses in full lay

-3x15 frogstand hands facing backward

-3x15 straddle L-sit

-a wee bit of german hangs

workout

3 rounds

-advanced tuck back lever lower from inverted hang-->hold-->advanced tuck german hang-->pull out

5 tempo bulgarian dips (made sure to keep good form as sliz noted)

-XR L-sit (support position-->raise to L-sit)

5 Temp XR PPP no plus =/... YET

-advanced tuck front lever (pull to inverted hang from dead hang-->lower to Adv tuck Fl-->inverted hang

5 tempo Body levers (painfully slow negatives for the 3rd set)

each static was held circa 20 seconds

ended with the 10 bridge wall walks

--did a few 360 degree pulls later in the day (adv tuck)

Tarun Suri

3 rounds of:

15s german hang, 5-5-5 tempo block elevated XR rows, 15s XR Lsit, 5-5-5 tempo bulgarian pushups, 15s tuck front lever, 2-2-1 longer tempo body levers.

Last round of rows was with rings too high so it comes back to the first progression by accident.

Lsits surprised me! 80% of the time I was parallel. However, I noticed that I could only do this when I focus to push the rings behind me as much as possible. I wonder if this is a sign of weakness. Shouldn't that position be used only for advanced high lsits?

Tuck front levers was swaying a lot! It's not often I do them on rings. oddly enough, my right hip flexor was cramping up.

I used a half bosu ball to do body levers, but it was far too unstable, which is why my tempo was more like 5-1-3. Any suggestions on what to use as a round object?

Finished with 2x1 back wall walks. Still super far from touching the ground and I really felt them in my lower back. I think I will put like 10-15 mats on the ground and aim to touch them next time. Progressively I'll remove mats until I can touch the ground. Then build volume for 2x10.