Round off and Back Handspring

Started by matthew.percussion, May 25, 2008 · 5 Replies · 3,200 Views

matthew.percussion

Hey coach,

I have only been doing Tumbling for a little over two months but have progressed very quickly. (says my instructor)

I am 6' exactly and weigh 155lbs

I just got my back handspring on the floor a couple of days ago but, I can't push hard enough off the ground to get my feet in front of me. I have the same problem with round offs. My feet are always behind me. This prevents me from connecting my round off to a back handspring and also from doing multiple handsprings.

Do you have any suggestions for technique and possible strenth in my wrists?

My instructor says that I should be pushing off with my hands hard enough to get about a foot in the air but I can't even get off the floor.

Thanks,

Matthew

Blairbob

You need to learn how to snap down quickly and powerfully as the first step.

Start doing handstands onto a panel mat to an arched free handstand and snap your legs down quickly. Don't just let them fall but pull them down to the floor. I generally spot the gymnasts into this position and sometimes help their legs go down faster. I will also lift or push their chest back up off the panel mat as their legs are snapping down.

A solid handstand, handstand shrugs, and handstand pushups will increase your ability to push off the floor.

Do your wrists hurt at all If not, great. You should be conditioning your wrists if you are getting into tumbling. Either way, it's a good idea.

matthew.percussion

Thanks. I look forward to trying that. My wrists do hurt a little about an hour into practice but not nearly as bad as when I first started.

Thanks again,

Matthew

RICK MARVIN TING Ting

Hi,I can do round off but i just can get into standing position after doing one.any tips or exercise I should do??

Blairbob

The wrists tend to acclimate themselves so long as you don't abuse them in the process.

Rick, you probably need to block off the floor and snap down/through your legs faster.

RICK MARVIN TING Ting

maybe?? coz wat i do i juz turn to round off and doesnt snap the legs..and i juz push my hands off juz like that...or should i snap and push harder??