Front & Back Lever

Started by swift, August 28, 2010 · 10 Replies · 2,742 Views

swift

Please critique my levers.

h8waq8m0qAE

tVyou95o37s

Wonder why the Youtube BB codes aren't working.

*This is an update from the most Slizzard Lizard: Video is corrected.*

Neal Winkler

Only post the end part after the = .

Tarun Suri

Are those your max hold times? Can you achieve a 3x30s german hang yet?

Off-topic: Spartan, where do you train? I go to the YMCA in the west island. I'm the guy with vibrams, rings and chalk getting funny looks by everyone on my "unorthodox" training. :P

Joshua Naterman

His hips definitely aren't at shoulder level. Maybe he just isn't comfortable there yet. I took a little while to get acclimated to that as well.

swift
SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:

You should go a little lower on your back levers. Anybody else agree?

You mean my torso or my hips? That's the lowest I can do so far, I can feel the stretch and pain in my lower chest.

Before filming these videos, I tried a full back lever and thought that I had got it down since it felt like it. It wasn't until I got the camera out to record what I was doing, until I found out that my full back levers were actually in my own imagination.

In actual fact, My torso was too darn vertical, with my legs stretched out behind. I was like WTF when I found out.

So, I had to refer to Coach Sommers book on the first progression to back levers and compare how I did with the guy in the picture.

RandomHavoc said:
Are those your max hold times? Can you achieve a 3x30s german hang yet?

Never tried a german hang before. But I do a few Skin The Cats.

German hangs are with legs straight at the end of Skin The Cats?

What about my front lever?

I was trying to do a flat back progression and it didn't seem to be flat enough. I couldn't make it flatter anymore, so does that mean my hips are tight?

Joshua Naterman

The German hangs are really important. They stretch the chest and anterior shoulders and strengthen them in the stretched ROM, which ends up making the BL work much easier AND protects you from injury. You should be doing 3x30s German hang before you start BL work. After that you will probably find that it's not that difficult to have your hips at the right elevation.

swift
slizzardman said:
The German hangs are really important. They stretch the chest and anterior shoulders and strengthen them in the stretched ROM, which ends up making the BL work much easier AND protects you from injury. You should be doing 3x30s German hang before you start BL work. After that you will probably find that it's not that difficult to have your hips at the right elevation.

3 sets of 30 seconds right before training BL?

Or achieving 3x30s first, then only start training BL?

It's a lil vague, but I hope you get what I was asking.

Joshua Naterman

3x30s before you move on to actually trying the back lever!

And, to answer an earlier question, your flat tuck FL isn't all that bad! You'll get it better as time goes on. You'll never be perfectly flat because spines are not perfectly straight, there is always some curvature.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
swift said:
SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:

You should go a little lower on your back levers. Anybody else agree?

You mean my torso or my hips? That's the lowest I can do so far, I can feel the stretch and pain in my lower chest.

Before filming these videos, I tried a full back lever and thought that I had got it down since it felt like it. It wasn't until I got the camera out to record what I was doing, until I found out that my full back levers were actually in my own imagination.

In actual fact, My torso was too darn vertical, with my legs stretched out behind. I was like WTF when I found out.

So, I had to refer to Coach Sommers book on the first progression to back levers and compare how I did with the guy in the picture.

RandomHavoc said:
Are those your max hold times? Can you achieve a 3x30s german hang yet?

Never tried a german hang before. But I do a few Skin The Cats.

German hangs are with legs straight at the end of Skin The Cats?

What about my front lever?

I was trying to do a flat back progression and it didn't seem to be flat enough. I couldn't make it flatter anymore, so does that mean my hips are tight?

yeah i meant hips

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
RandomHavoc said:
Are those your max hold times? Can you achieve a 3x30s german hang yet?

Off-topic: Spartan, where do you train? I go to the YMCA in the west island. I'm the guy with vibrams, rings and chalk getting funny looks by everyone on my "unorthodox" training. :P

PM'ed you! Wow another one in Montreal! WOOT!