So ever since I started getting into scientific research I've been wondering why so much of epidemiology is taken as scientific fact and used to make nutrition guidlines when there are so many confounding variables that go unaccounted for compared to controlled trials. As such I generally look at epidemiology as a good starting point to look at correlations and then see if a controlled trial, which has much less chance of confounding, corroborates the epidemiology. This has lead me to look more into epidemiological vs controlled studies and what I have found is that most epidemiologists believe that they can adjust for confounding factors and find cause and effect. For instance, a whole grain study that I cannot find right now, said that after adjusting for age, BMI, and "all other possible confounding factors, people who consumed more whole grains had less instance of cardiovascular disease." This researcher believed he had eliminated all confounding factors and thus whole grains must prevent heart disease. I have since found http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20307353 and some others that are randomised controlled trials on cardiovascular risk factors and whole grains and they show no benefit to cardio risk factors. I know cardio risk factors and actual disease are different, but I would trust more the controlled study that showed no change in risk factors vs an observation on people who have or do not have heart disease and their whole grain consumption.
Is it ever possible to adjust for confounding factors in an epidemiological study to the point where you can actually find cause and effect or do you always need a controlled trial to be sure?
Are controlled trials always more accurate in establishing cause and effect than epidemological studies?