Hi, this is my first time posting here on gymnastic bodies and i'd just like to thank coach and everyone else here for providing such a great resource for training advice.
Anyway, just some background about myself to hopefully make some sense of the issues i've been having (feel free to skip down two paragraphs to get to my actual question). I'm 17, I've never had any gymnastic training, but I've been a wrestler for the past 6 years, and over the past 2 years or so I started having problems with shoulder subluxation, which is a temporary, partial dislocation of the shoulder joint. It would occur quite often during wrestling season, often several times per week, and each time the ligaments around the joint would grow weaker and consequently, the subluxations would become more and more frequent. Eventually i started going to physical therapy and that combined with a break from wrestling in the off season has tightened up the joint considerably.
Over the past few months i've taken an interest in hand balancing as well as achieving several basic gymnastic static holds (planche, front lever, back lever, V-sit etc). Surprisingly enough i haven't really run into many issues with my shoulders, the only exception to this being as follows: handstand presses (lowering myself back down into a tuck position with bent arms from a handstand results in some shoulder pain), hanging leg raises (when the shoulder joint is completely open it feels very unstable), and of course side levers.
I've been working on holding a side lever, or a human flag as im familiar with it, for a couple months now. I'm just a few degrees south of horizontal (http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll293/moefro777/?action=view¤t=HumanFlag.jpg).
the problem is that the shoulder of my top arm is completely extended while im in the position, so similarly to when i'm doing hanging leg raises, the joint feels very unstable. When i try to go beyond horizontal, even in a tuck position i find that i have absolutely no ability to pull with my top arm, not only that but its quite painful and it feels like i'm basically hanging by the ligaments in my shoulder.
So my question is, does this seem like something that I could overcome simply by strengthening the required muscles to stabilize my shoulders, and if so are there any exercises that I could do to specifically work on this. Or, are side levers simply something I should avoid doing in order to spare my shoulders from getting even worse. I realize that this has been a very long post, but any advice would be greatly appreciated, although I understand if i dont get much because this might not be a common issue.