Pike Press Headstand

Started by Jay Guindon, August 26, 2010 · 3 Replies · 2,721 Views

Jay Guindon

In the WODs that call for press handstands I have to do press headstands because I am not strong enough. I feel however that when I do a pike press headstand it is the same thing as a reverse leg lift - headstand that is on pg 135 in BtGB. Am I doing it wrong?

Guest

As far as I know they are the same.

My guess is that the HeS RLL is not called a 'press' in the book because in this particular case it's used as a progression for lower back training. The same goes for the Wall HS RLL which is the next progression in the book. Note that the book does say that the Wall HS RLL is in fact also a Press HS preparatory element... and once Coach releases his book on HS/Press HS work, who knows? These two exercises may also be in there and they will then probably be called Pike Press HeS and Pike Press Wall HS.

Gregor

Reverse leg lifts are part of a training for press to HS (for lower back muscles). Press to HS is more complex and includes muscles of arms, shoulders and upper back (you must press palms on surface down and forward so you stop shoulder leaning).

Press is way harder then RLL

jl5555
Gregor said:
...Press is way harder then RLL

Ha! No kidding, that's an understatement. Press HS eludes me.....