Pike and straddle stretch. Pain in lower back

Started by Leandro, August 25, 2010 · 27 Replies · 21,750 Views

Joshua Naterman

When you feel it behind the knee like that it is nearly always the nerve being stretched. Take it very easy like Mr. Brady said, you don't want to aggravate it. Gentle stretching shouldn't cause problems, but be careful.

A lot of times there are soft tissue issues behind symptoms like that, but it could be something to do with where the nerves come out of the spine. I would suggest getting active release performed on your glutes, outer thigh, hamstrings and calves. I would also suggest you treat the glutes and quadratus lumborum for trigger points and see if that affects your symptoms. That's basically going to involve looking up that muscle so you know where it is and then laying on top of a lacrosse or tennis ball and using that to perform active release work and slowly work into any trigger points or sore areas you find. You may want to do the same for piriformus. That is not a guarantee, but if the problem is in the soft tissue those suggestions should treat it.

Leandro

I did 2 sessions of eletro acupuncture. It reduced my pain to almost zero or even zero some days. I was really impressed with the results. I could do stretches, going very deep in the straddle so I feel the stretch on the hamstrings again, not rounding the back too much. When I was in pain I coudln't get to that point without feel pain or something weird in the lower back.

If anyone is having pain in the lower back, I recomend it. Eletro acupuncture does not help fixing structural problems, as the therapist said. But even if your problem is structural, like a herniated disc, for example, it can help with the symptoms. Luckly, the chiropractor I also go discarts herniated disc, he thinks I have a light disc protrusion, only.

Cole Dano

Thanks for the follow up, i'll keep that in mind for the back pain people i run into. Great to hear that it worked so well for you.