Hi guys,
I have a few pullup questions. Everyone please feel free to pick whatever question(s) you wish to answer out of the grabbag ![]()
1.) I seem to be stagnating at 8-9 max reps on my first set (or 1 rep at 40lbs added weight). I've been doing about 20-30 - and more recently 30-40 - pullups per day (and a few max rep sets of pushups). What sort of training programme would you recommend to up this? More volume? More weighted pullups? More variation between chin/pull and wide/narrow grip?
The usual recommendation would probably be GTG but I can only work out during the evenings. Is GTG still applicable if I can't train throughout the day, or would you rather do a bunch max rep sets than training at less-than-max intensity per set? I have to admit it is very hard for me to resist the temptation of going to failure! I stop 1 rep short of failure on at least 2 sets per day, but then again I do get 18-20 hours of recovery during weekdays.
2.) I always do full dead hang pull ups with fully extended arms and 1 second or so break at the bottom. I was under the impression that this is the cleanest and most intense way, but I seem to get 2-3 fewer reps if I do not have such a break, i.e. immediately pull up again after fully extending arms. It does not seem to be due to countering swing or something like that. Should I skip the clear break, is it cheating?
3.) For me there seems to be an absolutely linear relationship between weighted and normal pullups: If I add 4.5lbs, I can do 1 rep less. If I take away 4.5lbs, I can do 1 rep more. From this stance it doesn't seem to matter whether I train for normal reps or weighted ones because they scale the same. If I learn to do 5 more normal reps by doing normal reps, I can probably carry 5x4.5 = 22.5lbs more added weight automatically! Will this strength relationship break if I do weighted pullups exclusively for an extended period of time, or will it break in higher rep regions like 15-20 reps?
Thanks a lot for your time everyone!