Problems with Straddle L training

Started by Finn Frank, August 21, 2010 · 2 Replies · 2,853 Views

Finn Frank

I have just started training straddle L. I think I'm lacking in (active?) straddle flexibility but my other main issue is some major cramping in the side of my hips.

From the book I see this is common in new trainees but is this just a strength issue and will it eventually fade? Are there any other movements I can preform to help? And I'm unsure how to stretch the cramping area which so any ideas on that would be great too.

I'm currently unable to preform the Straddle L - PB bent variation because I do not have PB and possibly lack the flexibility. So I'm currently working on a sort of compressed V up straddle position, a hanging Straddle L hold and a straight leg straddle L position perched on the end of a seat with a stool in front of me to keep balance.

So any critique on my training method and suggestions would be much appreciated plus any advice/info on the hip cramping would be great.

Thanks :)

Blairbob

Sit in a chair. Straddle. Push up.

Sounds like you may need to stretch out your IT band. I have the same issues, but have been stretching them out but not massaging them out like I should be.

Coach Roy

Blairbob is right or do like I make my L4 boys do quite often is on the mushroom so it's a little easier on their wrists