Hello. A few months ago I threw a very sloppy back handspring when I wasn't yet warmed up. The result was stressfractures in each arm and extreme tenderness in the muscles of the forearms (just below the wrist, on the inside of my arm on the thumbs side). I've long since let the stress fractures healed, done PT the works. But whenever I tumble I've been getting this extreme tenderness in the forearms. It's only when I do back handsprings, and more specifically, Round off back handsprings. I thought this was just my muscles not used to it, but eventually it never went away with all the conditioning I did.
Eventually after talking to a coach at a local gym, he concluded that I had wrist splints. Apparently when I do round off back handsprings, I hyperextend my wrist cauing injury to the muscles in my forearms. It usually doesn't get painful, only tender to the touch, but if I continue for too long I can feel the soreness as I'm actually tumbling. But no pain. The coach said that it's safe to work with, just irritating, and that I should keep working with them with tape and icing after practices. Does anyone know for sure if this is what it might be? Should I tape it or look for wrist support (keep in mind I'm a male cheerleader so a wrist support may not be too viable when lifting girls up). The coach also said I should fix my back handsprings as to help eliminate the problem. They're not bad, I can do several in a row and do stuff out of them (tuck, layout, full), but just apparently the way I do it causes problems. I'm not sure how to word this, but are there drills as to land with your hands not so bent back? Any feedback is greatly appreciated =)