I strained my left pec today. Didn't get it diagnosed by anybody but I've strained my hamstring enough times that I'm pretty sure this is what it is. Not too severe though. Definitely grade 1 and no worse. No tear larger than microscale, I pretty sure. Sometimes the hamstring strains feel like you get hit with a shotgun while running. Well I'd call this getting hit by a paintball gun from long range, so not as bad. It actually took me a second to figure it out. I was like, "did I just strain my pec? Hmm... Yep, must of".
The stupid thing is how I did it. Ring strength? Heavy bench? Nope. I was doing plyos. I was doing an exercise called double knee jump. This is where you kneel on a mat next to a 30" box. In one motion, you "jump" off your knees onto your feet, and then immediately explode onto the box. Well, that first movement requires a powerful arm block for me, and it was during that arm block that it happened.
What are some good rehab exercises for strained pecs? I'm assuming this has to be somewhat common in gymnastics. I've been icing it off and on (haven't used compression, don't really have the tools to wrap my chest). I'm also trying a topical anti-inflamatory called traumeel. Don't know if it really works or not. There aren't a ton of studies on it, but it probably can't hurt. I will follow this protocol for probably the first 48 hours post injury to get the swelling and inflamation under control, and then I'll start rehab exercises.
I don't plan on it taking too long to get this one back to healthy. Maybe 3 weeks all together. But I don't want to risk reinjury during the healing process, because I know from experience that multiple strains in the same spot can lead to chronic injuries.