MAG program for jr Boys...what do you do?

Started by Valentin, May 22, 2008 · 3 Replies · 2,153 Views

Valentin

Hi

I am interested to know what people (MAG coaches) feel is essential to start with new boys that start their program (conditioning and skills). For example do you start boys on Press to Handstand work from day 1, or manna work, or giants etc..

What do you feel are the most important things to do per each apparatus with boys that just start a MAG program (age about 5-6). I have a group of boys that are starting, and i am just interested in getting ideas, to improve the bosy program.

Thanks,

Blairbob

Did you ever come across the BSAP program in the states. It's released by USAG as the levels before level 4. Basically pre level 1 ( kinder ) to level 3.

It's nothing astonishing by any means, but it has a lot to do with learning basic support and hanging skills and some other stuff. In fact there was quite a bit of repitition across apparatus. For instance, 5 pullups on rings in the same level as doing 5 on high bar. Though, it's released on a DVD now, I don't think it has changed any besides it coming with some other program stuff like a chart as do other gym curricula programs come with.

I have the tape around somewhere and I could pop it in and write everything down again. I've done it before and did last summer when I was trying to create a boy's rec program/team program skill chart to level 5. Some of it figured in there, but honestly I did not include everything as I had limits to how many skills per level so I had to put that in the supplementary skills per level/outline under progressions. All in all it was a mix of the several boy's programs I've been exposed to from other gyms and the USAG BSAP and my own ideas. I was also using it for my compulsory boy's since they were still only around levels 4 and 5 and I found it useful for them and their parents.

If you really want, I'll just email you the boy's skill packet I have and use. After coming to this new gym without a boy's curricula, I've just been using it and going from there. I'm sure there is a lot more I could add like a strength chart and I'm sure I'll be tempted to revamp it ( hence what the supplementary skills pages where about. Dummy 101 for progressions to the skills ).

Basically it's my opinion that boys learn how to hold their positions and lots of swing basics besides some coordination stuff at that young age ( think a lot of the kinder drills for 5yo, walking on beams, animal walks, basic tramp ). Oh yeah, and strength. Hang and support for time, climb rope or cargo nets, run and hop around.

Valentin

HI Blaire

no i never came across it (BSAP). However i would be interested to see it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Blairbob

Valentin, I should have the tape in my room somewhere and it's on VHS. Sounds like I have something to do tonight. It's on the USAG website but it's not very expensive nor is it really special.

Besides my program that is very simple, I bought a copy last congress from a gym elsewhere in CA that is a complete program with everything in it.

PM me here or on Drillsandskills as I'd like to talk to you further about this.