Hola guys.
Been working on the GB stuff since the beginning of the summer, and enjoying it much. However, in my second steady-state cycle I began experiencing some elbow pain, so I haven't finished that cycle (let alone progressed beyond it). My main athletic activity is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu-unfortunately for me, in my 9 years of training, I have had a few hyperextensions of each elbow, so they are probably a bit more fragile than average to begin with.
For my second GB SS cycle, I moved from Frog Stands to Advanced Frog Stands (8 sets of 8 second holds), and moved up to working a 24 sec tucked back lever hold (X 3 sets). These two exercises seem the likely candidates for what is causing the elbow pain. I am also doing ring supports, pullups, ring dips, and tuck front levers. I only recently realized that the BL should be trained palms down from the beginning, and I think my elbow pain was probably caused by the first (only) time I tried to do a skin-the-cat to tuck BL with palms down-I lowered into it, felt immediate pain in my left elbow and sort of felt a 'crunch'. I let go, and went back to training with palms up. The pain is on the 'back/outside' of the elbow, and I feel it during extension, rather than flexion of my arm. The pain is occurring near where my tricep meets my elbow joint.
I took last week off to let my elbow heal, and things feel much better. I would like to resume training soon-possibly this week, and certainly by next week. My first step towards training again will be to cut the volume of every exercise I did in half for the first 1-2 weeks, and work back up to what I had programmed over the course of 2-5 weeks.
So. Long setup, but here are my two questions.
1. If I can't currently perform a palms-down tuck back lever, what is the first exercise in the progression that leads to a palms down tuck BL? Basically, I want to know what exercise I should be doing in place of back levers, for now.
2. Are there any good prehab exercises I can do to build strength in the muscle and tissues in and around the elbow? I'm open to any ideas for elbow prehab, but I'm specifically interested in exercises that will prevent further pain where I am currently having it-near where the tricep meets the elbow joint, on the 'backside/outside' of the elbow.
This was a long question, so I appreciate input from anyone who was willing to slog through the whole thing. Thanks in advance!
Greg