Chest roll to handstand

Started by Sven Ravnstag, August 15, 2010 · 6 Replies · 6,873 Views

Sven Ravnstag

I'm working my way rough the WOD's and today I attempted the second one. It calls for a multi plane movement variation, and since I'm new to gymnastics I tried chest roll to headstand. I don't get it. I searched these forums and google, but no helpful videos or explanations turned up.

I'm assuming that, at least with the headstand version, there's a kick up with the feet? I'm just struggling a little with the mechanics. I saw the video here of the boy going into a handstand; It seemed like the key there was positioning the hands down towards the hips, leaning forward and pressing up. I don't have the strength to keep my body rigid for that movement yet, but is the chest roll to headstand calling for the same type of movement?

I'm just trying to figure out if there is something I'm misunderstanding, or if this movement is just too advanced for my current ability. If so, what sort of drills might I'm substitute for it (since this is the easiest movement in the multi-plane pressing section)?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Joshua Naterman

If you can't do any multi-plane work, that's fine. You'll want to just work on basic strength, so substitute a few PPP and a HeS push up starting from the down position for the chest rolls when they come up.

Chest rolls require you to keep a very strong arch in the back the whole time. It's tough to get into the habit, but once you do these become a lot more manageable. It's definitely a skill as well as a strength move!

When you say you're working your way through the WODs, what does that mean? Are you starting with the very first WOD ever?

If you are, that's not necessary. Just start with Monday's WOD and scale it to your ability. If it calls for something that is BEYOND you, even at the first progression like these chest rolls, try to break the movement apart into two basic strength moves and work those. You can't do multiplane work or combined pull-press if you don't have strength in the individual components first!

Welcome to the WODs, by the way! We pretty much all have to scale nearly every WOD way back lol! They're tough.

Neal Winkler

Chest roll to handstand can be seen @ 2:24 of this vid:

wwIqDuJXAME

Joshua Naterman

Unavailable?! WHY?!!!! :shock:

... so... what's this a video of, when it becomes available, besides the chest roll at 2:24?

Neal Winkler

Ok now it works.

Sven Ravnstag

Thanks for the help guys; and that video is a very good reference.

Slizzard- Yes, I had intended to start way back at the beginning WOD based on an impression I had gotten somewhere that they had gotten progressively more advanced over time. The handstand wall walks from from the recent WOD really put me in my place, and I thought maybe I was supposed to start from the beginning. I'll just pick up with the most recent post this Monday and take it from there.

Thanks as well for the info on scaling. It's good to know I'm not the only one who has had some trouble! I've learned at least one new thing everyday since joining this forum; this really is an awesome place!

adrianc714

im having trouble with these too. today is my day off but tomorow i will give them slizz's approach. hope they work.