This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100813

Started by Coach Sommer, August 13, 2010 · 31 Replies · 3,665 Views

Stewart Whaley

On Saturday:

Several minutes of rice bucket work to warm up wrists.

1x3 Handstand holds

1x5 Cast Wall Walks

1x10 Wall HeSPU (head elevated about 3 inches)

1x10 HeS RLL

100 alternating overhead band presses

Did these instead of Wall Runs b/c wrists started bothering me.

Worked hard at keeping back flat and trying to push each shoulder joint up high like during a wall run.

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

Skipped these and did a little bit of wrist stretching.

Graham Smith
Erik said:
Children are nature's dumbells.

Oh yeah, Mine weighs 15kg going on 150 with all the wriggling. Coach's WOD's have nothing on trying to get him into his pyjamas. At least I get a kick out of watching him do headstands with daddy!

Julekman
Eric wrote

Children are nature's dumbells.

HAHA !

Congratulations to all dads, yeah my daughter also weight 15kg, I like to do swings with baby, but she loved it so much so my lower back start to cry, and then I must escape :D. Of course, she chased me around

Graham Smith

Ugh. This one beat me.

Warmup: FSP's

urn

1 x 10 cast wall walks

1 x 5 Pike press HeS head on 3" block

1 x 10 Straddle press HeS as above

3 minutes aggregate wall handstand.

elevating my head in the presses was exactly what I needed thanks Killroy70. It really worked the lower back and abs a lot more than I could in a regular HeS, which is what I need for the press movement.

By this time my wrists were so beat from the cast wall walks and presses I couldn't even contemplate wall runs. Truth told I could have pushed myself to do more wall handstand work, but by wrists were beat, I had a lousy day and just wasn't into it. I figured that's where injuries happen and called it quits.

finished with 2x10 wrist pushups from the knees with gentle weight. I think a rice bucket would have been better if I had one as they were feeling the pressure.

Calder Photography

My workout:

Fsp warmup tuck fron lever, L-sit on chairs, Tuck back lever, Frog stand (relative progressions of course)

WOD:

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks ( I did 1 x 5, then 1 x 2 = 7 total, I wasn't sure whether to keep going as I didn't want to push too hard)

1x5 Pike Box Press HS (with my back against the wall)

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS ( I could only do 1x5 of these, probably should have finished with negatives now that i think of it)

10 minutes of HS Wall Runs ( my wrists were hurting so i only did about a minute of these and finished with 5 minutes or so of handstand practice and wall hastands)

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups (skipped due to wrists hurting)

I wasn't sure how far to go with this one, e.g the cast walks, should I have done more sets and rested more, but just make sure i did 10 total? or was I right to move on? the same goes for the other exercises.

So happy to be back into it after a break due to illness.

Cole Dano
Redlac said:

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups (skipped due to wrists hurting)

I wasn't sure how far to go with this one, e.g the cast walks, should I have done more sets and rested more, but just make sure i did 10 total? or was I right to move on? the same goes for the other exercises.

From what i understand- Don't skip the wrist pushups, they will relive the wrist pain. If they are really tender from the WOD then take all the weight off by getting on your knees (or use a wall) and go through the movement. Watch what happens. This WOD was particularly hard on my wrists as well, i did a couple of set of the wrist push ups and it help immensely.

In general you want to scale the exercise so you can do it the recommended number of reps. But at least for me it might take a few iterations of a particular WOD to work out the best way for me to do it. So the first time i do a new WOD i don't sweat getting everything perfect, i know it will come up again and then hopefully i have a better handle on how to scale it.

The cast wall walks were killers for me so i wound up doing singles. Next time i might limit the ROM, in any case they are an excellent exercise.

Brendan Coad

My WOD from today

3 cast wall walks

5 HeS Pike LL 2 books under head

10 HeS Straddle LL

80 touches total in 10 min

2X10 full wrist pushups

First time I've done full wrist pushups. Actually surprised I could do them. I've been doing from my knees no piking in my warm up for the last 4.5 months. Will probably still do knees no pike for my warmup and when its listed as a finisher on the WOD I'll do full until it feels strong/easy enough to be part of my warm up routine.

The wrist pushups were actually the highlight of the workout for me :D