Competitive rope climbing

Started by Alexander Moreen, August 11, 2010 · 9 Replies · 4,034 Views

Alexander Moreen

So I was reading through some of John Gill's website(famous rock climber and amateur gymnast who achieved some impressive feats of strength such as OAC, iron cross and 1 arm front lever at an incredible 6'2") and read the section on competitive rope climbing and decided to try it out.

It seems the record for 25' rope(around 8 meters) is just about 5 seconds, the question is what is your best time for the 25'?

Starting from sitting till you reach the top connecting piece with no feet touching the rope( no l sit required ):

Mine is 12.3 seconds

Other times from our gym are 13.1(roommate),13.4(probably the strongest overall guy in the gym), 15.4, and 17.4(used feet a bit, first time at gym so gave him some slack).

What are your guys best times?

Joshua Naterman

Never speed-climbed a rope with no legs! With legs I used to do around 7 seconds, but that's totally different. Feet to hands, stand up, repeat. Didn't take very long lol! Of course, I was wearing boots.

Alexander Moreen

It's pretty fun, I hope you guys give it a try.

Joshua Naterman

When my biceps tendons are good enough for straddle planche I certainly will!

Animalonfire

As soon as I can get back to the gym(actually not for a while:( ). It's about time that one of these competitions caught on.

Razz

In a few weeks I'll be able to rope climb, I'll get a time.

rubadub

4.87s here.

4llXf3tTRf4

Czech and world rope climbing record on 8 long rope - 4,87 second.

Aleš Novák from Sokol Šternberk during Czech championschip 2009 in Olomouc City

More info about rope climbing - www.svetsplhu.cz

ci-cNe-lWp4 .

Štěpán Muchka from Sokol Mladá Boleslav during rope climbing exhibition on 20 meters long rope in Pelhřimov 2009. Time of the climb was fantastic 29,90 s
Ondra

I think we should resurrect this topic, because rope climbing becomes very actual with F3&4...

I really recommend reading John Gill's history of rope climbing as mentioned in the first post: http://www128.pair.com/r3d4k7/Competitive_Rope_Climbing1.html

 

Could you imagine winning times if RC became Olympic discipline once more?  :D

 

supcik.jpg

Bedrich Supcik - first Czech Olympic winner in RC, Paris 1924

Yaad Mohammad

I did 5-6 seconds for 5.5 m. 8 m 5 sec is crazy...

Bipocni

Honestly, I'll just be happy when I can climb a rope with no feet.  I'll worry about my time after I get there.