Working out as a fix for migraine

Started by Rolf Nilsen, August 6, 2010 · 2 Replies · 6,550 Views

Rolf Nilsen

To the gymnastic gurus of exercise, lifestyle and well being :wink:

I have the occasional migraine attack. Without feeling sorry for myself and going into details, these pangs of migraine knocks me out for the rest of the day just like a right hook from Slizz would do.

I have noticed however that if I go for a workout when I feel "that kind" of headache coming on, it most often stops and disappears. Do anybody here have any idea of the mechanism behind this? I would be interested in learning more so I can take pro-active action.

Strangely enough, sugar also tends to help for a brief period.. (I know.. so working out is preferable, but when at work and in combination with medications..)

Cole Dano

Exercise can help bring hormones in balance, sweating can eliminate toxins. Those are a couple of ideas. I don't think we really know what causes migraines to begin with.

I've had the same thing happen so its not just your imagination.

Rolf Nilsen

Funny, there is a lot of information about exercise triggering migraine. Nothing about how exercise can make it go away if caught before it is a fully developed headsplitter.

Hormones.. Hmm, perhaps? Or heartrate, or something with the blood chemistry? Or perhaps the brain "forgets", or???