Handstand line and hand placement

Started by Finn Frank, July 29, 2010 · 7 Replies · 3,468 Views

Finn Frank

I'd like to work on my shoulder strength and HS so obviously I'm going to be spending a lot more time in HS. So before I jump right into it I'd just like to see if I can get any pointers on correct form and training methods. My main questions are:

- How wide should my hands be?

- Is there benefit in holding bent arm HS?

- Where should I be looking/where should my head be?

- And lastly how many times a week/in what format would you recommend training my HS?

I'm also starting to add HS wall runs into my workouts. I gather these are preformed for time, can anyone suggest a reasonable time to start with? And how close to failure I should get?

Here is a pic of a wall HS from this evening just to show my current hand placement. I think my arms could be straighter but I'm not sure if thats a strength issue or just something else.

post-30077-13531537066606_thumb.jpg

Thanks for any advice, and I'm sorry if my questions are vague, Ill happily clarify anything that I've left out.

palmcron
Finnbar said:

- How wide should my hands be?

directly under your shoulders. Your arms should be perpendicular to the floor.

Finnbar said:

- Is there benefit in holding bent arm HS?

depends on your goals, I guess.

Finnbar said:

- Where should I be looking/where should my head be?

Look at the floor between your hands. Your head should be between your arms, ears near the biceps.

Finnbar said:

- And lastly how many times a week/in what format would you recommend training my HS?

As often as possible ;-)

Razz

spread your fingers in HS

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
palmcron said:
Finnbar said:

- How wide should my hands be?

directly under your shoulders. Your arms should be perpendicular to the floor.

Finnbar said:

- Is there benefit in holding bent arm HS?

depends on your goals, I guess.

Finnbar said:

- Where should I be looking/where should my head be?

Look at the floor between your hands. Your head should be between your arms, ears near the biceps.

Finnbar said:

- And lastly how many times a week/in what format would you recommend training my HS?

As often as possible ;-)

head placement depends on goals? What are the different types of head position :/

Tarun Suri

Ehh, I'm still not sold on head placement. Facing between your fingers for strict gymnastic form, but something should be said for neutral head alignment looking forward. Then again, I'm a novice when it comes to handstands.

yuri marmerstein

think of it this way. If your shoulders are aligned properly, it is really hard to have your head in the wrong position

Blairbob

Random, you will often see a neutral handstand position in capoeira and during giant circles.

Tarun Suri
yuri said:
think of it this way. If your shoulders are aligned properly, it is really hard to have your head in the wrong position

Imagining that, I can only see handstands being done with a neutral head position. It would seem to me that looking downwards would arch the thoracic spine and hollow out the lumbar spine. Unless, that's what we are aiming for? Can you elaborate on what this "right" position is then.