Frustrated...advice would be great!

Started by Hashbrowns, July 27, 2010 · 3 Replies · 7,788 Views

Hashbrowns

Well. i started doing serious gymnastics around a year ago. I train 9 hours a week, as that is the most i can do. I competed level 5 last year, and i was hoping that i could do level 7 or 8 this year. I already know thats a big jump, but i only have a couple years of high school left, and i wont be able to continue in college, so i was hoping i could get as far as i can. Right now i am nowhere near where i want to be and i'm really trying my hardest, but i don't feel like i'm getting any better. I'm definitely not very talented, i have to work really hard to get a move, but i do, i give my all at every practice. but like i said it doesn't feel like i am getting much better. I am going to start doing a lot of training at home, using the book and xtreme rings, since i just got them. I put together a little program, and am starting tomorrow! Hopefully that will help a lot, because i really need something more than what i am already doing. I guess i'm just looking for a little advice on getting over this slump. I know that theres no magic button for me to suddenly become amazing or anything, and i am prepared to work hard, but again, some advice would be great.

I love doing gymnastics, and even though i don't have that raw talent, i have a passion for it, and i want to get into a higher level, which is part of why i'm getting so frustrated. Thanks so much to anyone who comments. :)

Joshua Naterman

You need to abandon your own programming and follow the WODs.

The Workouts of the Day (WODs) are the exact workouts, on the exact days, in the exact order, that Coach uses to train his guys. He has built state, regional and national champions for his entire career. To have that training program available to you, a program which people would pay thousands of dollars for and smile as they sign the check, and not use it is madness. I did that for almost a year and because of my experience strength training and programming I made good progress in a couple of areas but I still could not duplicate the results of the WODs.

If your goal is to be the best gymnast you can be, you need to use the best training program and not your own home brew. It's here for free, you've got the book, you've got the rings! Join in on the fun and let us know how you progress! You will do far, far better with us than you will without us, I can assure you. You can find the WODS in the Workout Of The Day forum on the board index!

Blairbob

Hashbrowns, if you go to college, you can compete in NAIGC. That's intercollegiate. Very fun and it does not matter whether you are a L1 or L10. It's bigger out back east with some schools in the west and texas.

Hashbrowns

slizzardman: i followed your advice...and you were right on...the workout i made was actually pretty legit...but you're right, they don't really compare to the wod's, especially if you actually scale them to your level! thanks a lot for your advice! It really got me going!!!

Blairbob: thats really interesting!!! i checked it out, and one of the colleges i'm looking at is part of NAIGC! Thats really exciting for me! If i don't have to stop doing gymnastics, i would be beyond happy! Thanks so much for that!