This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100727

Started by Coach Sommer, July 27, 2010 · 13 Replies · 3,036 Views

Coach Sommer

FwnbE7hHsEU

Perform the following:

3 sets of: Basic Ring Strength 3

5x15 seconds Inverted Hang

5x15 seconds XR Support Hold

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Add additional MU and XR Shoulderstand Presses as necessary to make the series challenging for your current strength level.

2) Be sure to select the most challenging MU variation that you can perform virtuously.

3) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

4) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

5) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

6) The three individual static hold positions are meant to be performed within a single giant set; perform the Inverted Hang, then move immediately to the XR Support Hold and then move immediately to the German Hang.

7) Rest is allowed during the static hold positions only after a single giant set has been completed.

gymgreg

Here is my third round of todays Basic Ring Strength 3 WOD.

Obviously the shoulder stand was not done properly.

But I tried to do a better job at stabilizing the midsection and keeping the legs straight.

rDLv52Hf0r0

Guest

VERY nice, Greg!

I won't be able to do today's WOD due to illness - hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow! Good luck guys :) I was looking forward to this one (haven't tried the ring series before, so...)

Kenneth Manning

Very impressive Greg!

I still can't do the forward roll to MU so that's something I'm going to have to work on. So today I did 8 sets of the basic ring series #1 with the addition of trying to get used to the shoulder stand. Each set looked like:

MU - tuck shoulder stand (everytime I got my hips vertical I ended up rolling forward, first time doing this, again, need practice learning how to maintain hips vertical without rolling forward!) - XR L sit (3 sec) - backward roll - BL (3 sec) - German hang - Pike pull to invert - half lay FL (3 sec)

Could use some tips on that forward roll to MU. I seem to roll too fast and lose control. Maybe some ideas about what to focus on when leaning forward and beginning the roll would help.

Then:

Adv tuck FL - invert (15 sec) - BL (3 sec) - German hang (15 sec), release rings then XR support (15 sec) all x 5

Wall extension: 5, 4, 4. These are just so darn hard.

gymgreg
Could use some tips on that forward roll to MU. I seem to roll too fast and lose control. Maybe some ideas about what to focus on when leaning forward and beginning the roll would help.

Focus on getting into /keeping the false grip while going forward.

Keep your core tight.

Try not to open your arms more than needed, so you don't have to do unnecessary work to go up again.

Rotate around your center of gravity.

Have you tried it tucked?

In the the video you can see that I try to keep my legs straight and go into a L-Sit position when leaning forward. Then to complete the other half of the rotation you can use some momentum by extending your hip and legs to straight body again.

Put up a video so we can analyse where you can improve.

Ryan Libke

Thanks for sharing the video, gymgreg. I have the same problem of the ceiling (or, in my case, the rafters) getting in the way of the shoulder stand.

I too, struggle with the forward roll, so I need to keep at it.

Cole Dano

GymGreg that is so smooth! Really a pleasure to watch, low ceiling or no.

My WOD:

Mu and ring SS are far enough away that i separated them and worked on each individually for way too long. Nothing special, but you have to start somewhere. Then did the easy part of the ring sequence and the static holds.

During my yoga practice i have been noticing lots of carryover from the gymnastics work. Today i was able to lift from the floor fully up into Viparita Shalambasana.

75.0.jpg

Been working on that for about a year slowly reducing the amount of assistance. So even though the WOD was nothing to write home about, i was happy with that small success. More importantly is how my lower back feels much better from doing the work to get that.

Joshua Naterman

Well! I'm definitely out of practice!

On all muscle ups I needed a toe assist to complete the transition, both the opener and coming back to support after the roll. I lose my false grip in the roll. This was my first ever attempt at shoulderstands, and it went quite well. I used a straddle position and probably a 45 degree angle above horizontal, so not great but a good start. These, and lowering afterwards, were surprisingly challenging!

The statics afterwards were pretty easy, I had no trouble at all with anything. I feel a strong stretch in my forearm muscles and mostly my right pec during the German hangs, but not too bad. Slowly, slowly they are lengthening.

Wall extensions were strange, but thanks to somewhat regular stretching and scapular isometrics they are getting easier to do, and feeling more correct.

Josh Schmitter

A little rough today...

Did muscle up rows in place of muscle up...these felt a little easier than last time, but I'm not sure if I might have just changed my foot placement/height of the rings a little. Did some tick tocks from back tuck lever to front, sometimes adv. tuck on the back. Basically doing my level of the 1st ring series. I was re-reading the 2nd one and saw that coach recommends adding more pulls/dips to the 1st series and staying there until 3 continuous muscle ups are achieved...so I know I'll be on that 1st series a while. My grip and forearms were killing today, but after some powder it was much better(even the german hangs felt less stress on the elbows with my grip being stronger). I'm also working on dips ala slizzardman's advice: working a combo of static holds, partials, and negatives...so next time I'll incorporate that more into my adapted ring series.

I liked the static giant sets. German hang still rough on the elbows when I try to turn my palms in, but I made it through.

Wall ext. still feel a little weird, but back feels good after.

p.s. One question...since I can only perform 1 strict form dip on a stable surface(i.e. chairs/tables) should I stay on there and move to rings later, or jump right to rings, or both? Thanks for any replies.

Joshua Naterman
TANSTAAFL said:
A little rough today...

Did muscle up rows in place of muscle up...these felt a little easier than last time, but I'm not sure if I might have just changed my foot placement/height of the rings a little. Did some tick tocks from back tuck lever to front, sometimes adv. tuck on the back. Basically doing my level of the 1st ring series. I was re-reading the 2nd one and saw that coach recommends adding more pulls/dips to the 1st series and staying there until 3 continuous muscle ups are achieved...so I know I'll be on that 1st series a while. My grip and forearms were killing today, but after some powder it was much better(even the german hangs felt less stress on the elbows with my grip being stronger). I'm also working on dips ala slizzardman's advice: working a combo of static holds, partials, and negatives...so next time I'll incorporate that more into my adapted ring series.

I liked the static giant sets. German hang still rough on the elbows when I try to turn my palms in, but I made it through.

Wall ext. still feel a little weird, but back feels good after.

p.s. One question...since I can only perform 1 strict form dip on a stable surface(i.e. chairs/tables) should I stay on there and move to rings later, or jump right to rings, or both? Thanks for any replies.

Absolutely stay with your stable surface until you achieve 3-5 sets of 5 reps, minimum, with perfect form. For now, you've already got your first dip, so that's awesome! Keep working the isometrics. You should really start extending the holds at top, middle, and bottom by a few seconds once you can do all 3 for 10s, and do that until you can hold them for 30+ seconds. You should find that doing so will quickly increase your dipping ability! Remember, if you're performing these holds at the limit of your ability you shouldn't do them more than once a week.

Kenneth Manning

Thanks for the tips Greg, might try fooling around with it this weekend. And yeah, I need to get a video camera so I can post some vids. Soon hopefully, as I feel that's (obviously ) the best way to get help especially on specific technique questions.

Josh Schmitter

Thanks a bunch slizzardman. Right now I'm working on putting a dipping/pulling type thing into most of my workouts...some days more so than others. I'm thinking of doing 1 static day(I'm at about a 10s comfortable hold on all...can prob go 15s max), 1 partial day, and 1 negative day and see how that goes. My chest is super weak compared to an already weak upper body so it's going to take some time. I also want to increase my pulls as I have been stuck at a 5 max pull/chin for a while now. I'm just at the point where I'm used to most of the WOD's where I can start adding things that I actually want to focus on without losing the point of the WOD itself, so hopefully things will get stronger.

thanks again.

tanstaafl

Guest

So, my brief stint of the flu has passed :D and I was able to do this WOD today instead of yesterday. This was my first experience with the Ring Strength Series and I enjoyed it quite a lot! It goes without saying that I scaled down to the following:

3 sets of: Basic Ring Strength 1.

3x15 seconds Inverted Hang

3x15 seconds XR Support Hold

3x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

Notes:

1) I substituted the MU with Slizzardman's 'leaning MU' (see WOD - 100719), which worked wonderfully, and I used tuck FL and BL where appropriate. Also, I needed to experiment a bit with the backward roll from the XR Support, but I got it working after a couple of tries. Needs a lot of polishing, though.

2) During the transitions between the static holds I tucked my knees to my chest.

Saber2

Nothing pretty about it today lol. I attempted this WOD and there are some highlights and lowlights. I did not do the roll after the MU considering I can't do the initial MU without assistance. So my ring series went a little like this:

2MU

L Sit

Press to Shoulderstand (I actually did it somewhat on the first set I pulled my legs in then extended into shoulderstand. The remaining sets were more like just frogstands on rings lol)

Drop down into inverted Hang

Lower into Back Lever

Roll into inverted hang

Lower into Front lever

I worked on a few more leaning MU to improve on the transition. The statics were done one after the other but I did them in a different order. I started with XR support, Lower into inverted hang, lower to German Hang. The first two sets were good but then I had to start putting my feet down after the XR support, my left elbow/tricep was bothering me a little. It was probably from the failed attempts at pressing to shoulderstand. All in all great workout, thanks Coach!!!

Things I noticed too. My false grip is just terrible on the rings. I want to attempt to do a MU on a pull up bar because I think I can. I can pull myself up to the point where I hit my head on the ceiling which isnt that much further above the bar but I think that is a good indicator of my capability. The rings are just a completely different animal.