I want to make my neck stronger, and I wouldn't mind a little hypertrophy. It seems as though wrestler bridges are the way to go, but it also seems like many people avoid the exercise like the plague. I figure if progressed steadily I should be fine. I was wondering if anyone has knowledge or experience on this subject. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
neck
Started by Kyle Courville, July 25, 2010 · 2 Replies · 2,689 Views
I used to fight Muay Thai, which requires neck strength pretty much equal to that in wrestling due to Plum clinches.
Wrestling bridges are definitely one of your mainstays. As you say, take your time! At first, use your hands for assistance. After a few weeks you'll be able to just use your head for static holds, but you'll still want some hand assistance with movement in the bridge. A month or so after that you'll probably be able to go front and back without hand support, but you'll still need it side to side. It takes more time to build side to side strength, but that comes. Don't go too far! 45 degrees is pushing it on side to side.
Getting a head strap should be high on your list! Head/neck squats are a great way to load the neck and spine in a manner similar to how someone pulling on your head would load it. You just put weight on the chain and stand up! Your head, and therefore neck, are supporting the entire load. It is possible to do well over 600 lbs this way, given enough time and practice, so don't be afraid to pile on weight as you are able to.
The other thing with the head straps is movement. You don't need to move very far, 30-45 degrees to the side is again plenty for side lifts. Lay on your left side on a bench so that your upper body is at a slight incline and your head is past the end of the bench. Start your head parallel with the ground, which should probably be a 20 degree angle at the most compared to your spine, and lift your head as close to perpendicular as possible by pulling your right ear towards your right shoulder! Return to head parallel with floor. That's one rep. Do both sides! Use a similar set up with your stomach on the bench or by standing up in a partial squat position. You may want something to brace your hands on! Now you can work the most important part, from a wrestling perspective, which is pulling the head back as far as you can. Try to look at the ceiling at the top of the rep! Finally, lay on your back on a slightly inclined bench, with your head past the end. Start off looking at the ceiling, and try to touch your chin to your chest.
That's it! For twisting exercises, should you choose to do them(they are not a particularly good idea) use hand pressure only, and only do isometrics at first, and then perhaps some negatives. Concentric work should be done with extreme caution. This is usually only done by people who have a reason to worry about their neck being snapped by a killer. That's a pretty short list. Be VERY cautious if you choose to pursue this last type of exercise.
Thanks for the great insight. I am not a wrestler, but I would be if it was available at my high school. If I have money to spare in college I'll take muay thai or bjj classes. By the way,I am definitely worried about my neck being snapped by a killer. ![]()
j/k