Outdoor pullup bar

Started by IvanPS, July 24, 2010 · 12 Replies · 12,872 Views

IvanPS

HI guys.

I've decided to build myself an outside pullup bar where I could also mout my rings. On monday I plan to go and buy the material.

My idea currently is something like this:

outdoorbars01.jpg

What I'm wondering now are what heights of the bars are most functional, I've been thinking 1.9m so it's reachable from standing then 2.3m so I can hang freely and then 2.7m or higher for mounting rings (I'm tall 1.8m)? And how long should the bars be for comfortable work, I had 1.5m in mind?

Another idea I had was to maybe put 2 bars at the same height so I could do dips? Do you think it would be useful or should I just do dips on the rings or somewhere else?

If you have any other ideas for a pullup station please post them. I would have enough space for 4 verticle poles but I don't really think it's neccessary?

Thanks for all your answers.

Ivan

Cole Dano

I think that a closed design like this would be a problem as it could block some of the rings movements. But if you make the two bar set up that wouldn't be a problem. Honestly for PBs i'm sure you'll be happier if they were purpose built rather than having two pull up bars that close together.

I wish i had a yard it would be a real playground.

Joshua Naterman

If I were you, I'd put in two 16 foot 4x6's and put my bar through the top and leave my rings on them. Have them 3-4 feet apart. Then I'd put a lower bar that you could just reach from your tip toes by using metal straps, lag screws and washers on one of your existing uprights and putting a third to the side maybe 3 feet away. That's pretty cheap to do and you'll end up with a 12-13 foot tall rings set up, which will be great for HSPU, German Hang, and 360 pulls, and you'll also have a straight bar you can use. Shouldn't even cost 160 bucks including cement, unless you have to buy a shovel lol!

2 16'x4"x6" at 40 each = $80

1 8-10'x4"x4" = 20-30 bucks

set of 2 metal straps: $2

2 lag screws: $6-8

Cement: Probably 8 bags at the most, and at 4-5 bucks a bag that's 40 bucks max.

Total cost: $160 max. It's more likely that you'll pay closer to 130.

IvanPS
dsc01003td.jpg
Neal Winkler

Why do you need 3 pullup bars like that?

Sternford

Couldn't you just have one bar and multiple sets of holes at different heights in the poles so you could move the bar to whatever height you want?

Neal Winkler

At most I can only see a need for two bars. One really high one for hanging rings and one lower one for pullups.

Not trying to belittle the design, I'm just curious as to what function it has for you, Ivan.

Cole Dano

rings > pu's > levers ?

A low bar can be useful, looking at Slizz's recent videos made me realize that.

EDIT:

I forgot to say - Nice Job!

Joshua Naterman

It really, really can be! I mean, you'll go nuts if a low bar is all you have, but man they are pretty awesome for some stuff. Like when you first start off with German hangs!

IvanPS

Yes the highest bar is for rings although I'm an idiot because I could have put it higher and I didn't :S .

The second bar is the main bar I'll be using.

The lowest bar I planned it for easier progressions like pullup negatives, levers and more sort of beginner stuff because my brother will be using it and if we have guests that bring children it's always fun for them to play.

My mom has also been planning to use it for hanging carpets and rugs for cleaning lol :S

Joshua Naterman

LOL! That hurts my cerebral cortex.

rubadub
trianglechoke7 said:
At most I can only see a need for two bars. One really high one for hanging rings and one lower one for pullups.
Even if you only need 2 that 3 post design would be a lot more stable, its quite clever and I have seen it a lot.

These are the bars in my local park

attachment.php?attachmentid=110418&d=1270921907

I have to jump to reach the tall one, I have used rings and rope on it, good for leg raises too. With the middle one I can stand and be in the top position of a chinup so it is good for negatives -just bend your knee. The low one I have done lever attempts on, and jumping bar muscleups and negative muscle ups and rows.

Also would be good for Korean dips if you could do them.

txSPIKI2rps

There are a few Korean dip videos on youtube now, is there another name for them? I presumed the Coach named them that and people putting up videos probably heard of them from here or the gymnasticbodies videos.