Starting a new cycle now and I'd like to change things up as doing pretty much the same thing for almost a year is dragging me down a bit.
I just did my test today:
Tuck Planche: 18 sec (last test: 15sec)
Back Lever: 1/2 straddle 10sec (last test: 18sec but form much, much better now)
Front Lever Full Straddle: 15sec (last test: 15 sec but form much better now)
L-sit on floor: 19sec (last test: 22sec Adv L-sit but on push-up bars)
Wall handstand (back to wall):86sec (last test: 90sec)
For the cycle that ended today I was doing this for FBEs:
Pulling: Lsit pull up / front lever row (flat tuck/half straddle) / front lever pull (flat tuck) 5reps x 3sets
Pushing: HeSPU Negatives / Cast Wall Walks / Planche Leans 5reps x 3 sets
Core: HLL V to L / L-sit lift / Body Lever 5reps x 3
Handstand: 45sec x 8 sets (90sec rest inbetween... more than 70% of the hold time in freestanding)
For this cycle I've got 3 things on my mind.
1) I've always worked by doing a warm-up, core FBE, then statics, then FBEs. I've been eyeing the "intergrated training" section of the book for a while, and thinking if I should change into doing this... but I have no idea how to really program it. I understand the idea of pairing the static holds with FBE's, but I have the usual question (which I've seen several people post on): since I'll only be doing 3 (or 3-5?) reps of statics, what progression and amount of time should I be using (keeping in mind my test results from above)? For instance, if I'm doing only 3 sets, should I be doing a progression where I can hold for 20sec (since 20x3 = 60 total), or does the whole "60sec total" idea go out the window when doing intergrated? How long should the hold times be for statics in this protocol and how hard should those holds be (like half max, or...?) Or... should I not even do intergrated thing at all and stick with what I've been doing?
2) There has been new ideas emerging about the hold times and approaches of statics, as mentioned in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4306
Basically it seems each progression in each exercise has it's own ideal hold time (before moving on to the next higher progression)... which is different from the book -which simply says when you can do 15sec of a hold (and 3-5sec of the next higher progression) then you move up. So... does anyone have any idea of what the ideal hold times are for the progressions I'm working with? The reason I ask is it seems the key to breaking through my planche-stagnation wall is to not work tuck planche that much but work Adv Frog for 60sec holds (basically NOT following the advice in the book). Should I also apply this idea to my other three statics? If so, for my test results above what should I do? For instance, for front lever where I've got a solid 15sec straddle hold... should I again continue (as I did last cycle) with Straddle 8secx8, or... should I instead do Flat Tuck 30sec x5 (that going down to an easier progression and holding it for longer times)? Same thing for Back Lever...? Do Flat tuck 30sec x 5 instead of half-straddle 8x8 like I've done for two cycles? What about L-sit?
3) For FBE's I've always done 5reps x 3 sets... should I change this up? 3x3 of harder exercises? 5x5 of easier? Or...?
Thanks, dudes...