This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100716

Started by Coach Sommer, July 16, 2010 · 12 Replies · 1,849 Views

Coach Sommer

RwnlIPq_7A4

Perform the following:

3 sets of: 1-3 360 Pulls, 1-3 MU, 1-3 XR L-sit press shoulder stand

5x15 seconds Inverted Hang

5x15 seconds German Hang

5x15 seconds XR Support Hold

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Perform from 1-3 repetitions on each of the exercises in the ring strength series depending on how many repetitions your current strength level will allow you to perform correctly. Each of the exercises may have a different number of repetitions as necessary; e.g. 3 360 Pulls & 1 XR L-sit press shoulder stand etc.

2) Choose the most challenging BL & FL variation that you are capable of using for the 360 Pulls.

3) Perform the most difficult MU variation that you are capable of performing without kipping or swinging.

4) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Rings Strength 3 essay.

5) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

6) You should however rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

7) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

Scott Malin

Do we treat the pulls, MU, L-sit 2 shoulderstand as a circuit or mini sets for the additional reps?

Coach Sommer
Do we treat the pulls, MU, L-sit 2 shoulderstand as a circuit or mini sets for the additional reps?

Any additional repetitions would all be part of the same set and would thus be performed without break or interruption. In this manner, for those of greater strength, the set is being extended and intensified; not reduced.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

John Sapinoso

Coach,

What is an appropriate way to scale an inverted hang for intermediate to advanced athletes?

Thanks,

John

Coach Sommer
What is an appropriate way to scale an inverted hang for intermediate to advanced athletes?

For someone of your ability, I would recommend using a BL variation.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Saber2

I am happy with todays performance. I actually progressed in my MU. I can now do them with assistance using a band. Last time I attempted I struggled. So I am really excited about that.

I ended up doing tick tocks more than 360 pulls because lack of height for the rings. Even those felt better than usual today.

Press to shoulder stand was nothing to write home about because I had to do the kick up variation. Only one out of the nine kick ups was I able to hold for just around a second. The others were just failures. This is something I will have to keep playing with too.

I did all the holds for 5x15 except for the German Hangs. I did 4 sets as long as possible because my grip kept slipping. And for the last set I did a HS against the wall for 20 seconds. I thought this might help because while doing the inverted hang I kept feeling the micro adjustments my body was making. So I figure I might try to shoot for a free standing HS. Didn't quite get it but it still felt good.

Josh Schmitter

I am with ya saber. I felt good today...or at least comfortable with the routine. I also did pretty much tuck tic tocs, going into a tuck hang in front and back. I did 3 x3 , but only managed 2 on the last set...pulling up from that german hang is rough.

Did MU rows from the video blairbob pointed to a couple WOD's ago. Still getting the hang of these as I'm not sure how high to put the rings, bend the legs, etc. Did 3x3 MU rows then 3x3 of negative XR dips to sub.

Then 10s Lsit 2 sets on the rings, 1 on the floor as I didn't wanna kill myself for the statics.

All the supports were OK. Inverted hang still seems so easy to me I feel like I must be doing something wrong. German hangs are still very rough for me too saber....on the elbows and inside of arm. I find shaking out the arms hard, spaghetti style and doing the wrist/inner arm stretch where your on all 4's and hands pointed back toward you between the sets really helps. I also increase rest to about 90s for the last few sets of these. Support hold is still shaky(literally) as hell, but my arms are straight and locked. Did 4 sets of 5 Bridge wall walks(whoops) about halfway down the wall, 30s rest between...still very hard.

2 days off is well appreciated.

Kenneth Manning

For the ring work, I was under the impression that each "set" was to be performed without releasing the rings. I'm not quite there yet, so after the 360 pulls, I dropped from the rings, and set my false grip and started muscle ups where I was then able to finish my last muscle up and then go into an L-sit for the shoulderstand work. So...

360 pulls were performed as follows: pike-->invert-->BL-->german hang-->pike (reversing)-->1/2 lay FL-->hang x 3,3,2

MU's 2,2,2 (5 second break between each set of 2 to reset false grip)

moved from the last MU of each set directly into L-sit, then because I can't do a press shoulderstand yet, I simply lowered my shoulders to the rings (slightly in front), got into a tuck position, and "attempted" to lift my hips to vertical. I'm not sure how high I was getting my hips, but on a few reps they felt better than halfway there :D

I wanted to get a bit of extra BL/FL work in, so I worked the statics as follows:

A1) advanced tuck FL (5 sec hold) -->invert hang (15 sec hold) -->BL (3 sec hold) --> german hang (15 sec hold) x 5

A2) XR support hold x 15 sec hold x 5

Wall extensions

set 1 = 6 reps

set 2 = 5 reps

once form started to seriously deteriorate, I terminated the set. Each rep was taking around 15-20 seconds and hand me really straining to keep my hips/back/upper arms/forearms on the wall. Eventually my muscles just wouldn't cooperate!

Great workout today, felt some slight improvements in some areas.

Alvaro

Today was a bit odd as I was short of time but I could finish this:

- 3 sets of:

·3X 360 tuck pulls ( bending the arms a bit just to exit from the hang), 3X false grip push ups, 3x XR supported dips, 3X ( I don´t know how to call this) practice transition with the XR from standing at 45 degrees; also 4 X Jumping to shoulder stand tuck support (next time I´m going to try full standing on the XR).

In this part the time was running out so I couldn´t finisth:

-4x 15 sec inverted hang

-4X 10 sec XR support

-1x 15 sec german hang.

Coach Sommer
killroy70 said:
... For the ring work, I was under the impression that each "set" was to be performed without releasing the rings ...

That is correct.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer
omegant said:
... 3X false grip push ups, 3x XR supported dips, 3X ( I don´t know how to call this) practice transition with the XR from standing at 45 degrees ...

Very good substitutions.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Saber2

I understand the idea is not to release the rings, but unfortunately I don't have enough room to do all the exercises the way the rings are set up. So I have to keep adjusting as necessary. Other than that, there is no rest.

Alexander Moreen

Today was the first time I've tried a shoulderstand on the rings with enough clearance above the rings to do it free standing(ie legs not hitting a tree or beam above me, I feel like I ended up with my hips to high, because I had a lot of trouble coming back down to support. I would lower my legs all the way down and my hips would still be directly above me. How do I avoid this?