This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100713

Started by Coach Sommer, July 13, 2010 · 12 Replies · 2,047 Views

Coach Sommer

1okSA32sFWs

Perform:

1x5 PL Box Press HS

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

rest 3-5 minutes

10 minutes of HS Wall Runs

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) You may substitute a Chest roll to HeS + press up to HS for the PL.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes

8 ) Spend 10 minutes performing HS Wall runs. Time spent resting does not count toward the 10 minute total. Strive to perform the 10 minutes of HS Wall Runs in as few sets as possible.

9) Rest as necessary, but strive to keep rest periods to an absolute minimum. Unless you are already extremely well conditioned gymnastically, this should be a very challenging workout.

Julekman

I have small problem with flexibility in shoulders and full pike position, so can I substitute the first three exercises with

1.Advanced frog stand to Hes

2.Press HS against the wall straddle

3. RLL Headstand

Thank you !

Kenneth Manning

When it comes to press handstand work I feel quite inept. I never worked these prior to starting the WODs and its quite a challenge. Anyway, I was having a hard time working (attempting) different variations, so eventually I just settled on:

6 sets of 6 reps HeS straddle presses. I concentrated on keeping my legs straight and curling my hips throughout the movement as my feet ascended and descended to and from the floor. I attempted some straddle press handstands but had quite a hard time with them. So I stuck with the HeS to try to get a feel for how the movement should go.

Wall HS runs were BRUTAL. I ended up doing 10 sets of 30 seconds with 30 second rest intervals. That wiped me out. I performed these with my hands 8-12" from the wall as I didn't want to lose my balance and flop forward (don't quite trust "rolling out" when losing a HS facing the wall quite yet).

2x10 wrist pushups on knees to finish.

Coach Sommer
killroy70 said:
... When it comes to press handstand work I feel quite inept. I never worked these prior to starting the WODs and its quite a challenge. Anyway, I was having a hard time working (attempting) different variations, so eventually I just settled on ... 6 sets of 6 reps HeS straddle presses

Excellent choice.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Josh Schmitter

Did 5 PPPups as slow as I could...which is not that slow

5 HeS pike press on a box

10 straddle HeS with very limited range of motion.

peaked out at 5:30 for the wall runs. I was doing sets of about 30s, chest to wall. Toward the end alternating wall runs with just a static handstand hold. I went until my wrists and lower back were feeling iffy. Does anyone think it might be beneficial to switch to a handstand box hold(like the easier HsPu variation) and continue the 'wall runs' like this to make the time?

killroy70 said:
When it comes to press handstand work I feel quite inept. I never worked these prior to starting the WODs and its quite a challenge. Anyway, I was having a hard time working (attempting) different variations, so eventually I just settled on: 6 sets of 6 reps HeS straddle presses.

That sounds like more of what I should've done killroy as I feel I need more repetitions to just get the actual movement ingrained. I even have trouble doing multiple reps of straddle HeS presses on a box. Thanks for the tip for next time.

P.S. when doing the HeS presses/RLL from HeS(these are the same thing yes?) is it ok to shift your weight back/more onto your head when you are descending. I find at about halfway my arms just can't take all the weight if I try to remain with my back perpendicular to the floor.

robotstrong

Coach,

Since the Box PL Press HS is out of my range (I can do it in a tuck against a wall but not freestanding), is a Tuck PL Press to HeS ok to substitute in?

Thanks Coach.

Coach Sommer
robotstrong said:
... Since the Box PL Press HS is out of my range (I can do it in a tuck against a wall but not freestanding), is a Tuck PL Press to HeS ok to substitute in? ...

Good thinking. However the tuck PL press to HeS, with its bent arm component, would be more appropriate for an intermediate Bower progression; not a straight arm element like the PL press.

Another choice would be to combine your wall presses with the box presses by setting yourself up so that you back is towards the wall while using the box.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Richard Duelley
Coach Sommer said:

Another choice would be to combine your wall presses with the box presses by setting yourself up so that you back is towards the wall while using the box.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Brilliant!

Kenneth Manning

Tanstaafl, I agree with you that just becoming accustomed to the feel of a movement is very important. My best reps of the straddle HeS presses were in my last few sets. When I first tried HS straddle presses (off an 18" box) I just couldn't tell what muscles I should have been activating, or really focusing on. This is where another volume from coach Simmer would be quite helpful (hint hint..).

And those HS wall runs really beat me up. I think I'm going to throw them in once a week, probably on Saturday, to build up my capacity and hopefully improve some other areas as a byproduct.

Erik Sjolin

Performed

2 chest rolls with (straddled) HeSPU (the other three I could only manage the chest roll)

5 HeS Pike presses (for no box is high enough)

10 HeS straddle presses

maxed at 5x60s of the wall runs. Even then I could only do the shoulder taps for the first one and a half. The others I just held it freestanding.

I had a question about starting the handstand presses (shoulders to the wall). I can do them if I tuck my knees to my chest and extend up, but anything more than that is out of my range right now. Is that acceptable practice?

Steen Millinder

I'm unsure how

1x5 PL Box Press HS

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

are supposed to look... any youtube video?

Steen Millinder

first WOD! :) Mr. Sommer you is not a kind man!! :twisted:

after shoulder and forearm warm up with dumbbells..

2 x 8 HeSPU wide grip chest to the ground

1 x 5 PLPU tuck last to reps a little help on the way up

1 x 5 have a shelf about 40 cm from floor, straight back and legs piked hips, did kinda like HeSPU

1 x 10 straddle same shelf kinda wanna be PMP's

Wall runs psha easy!! :wink: till i started! :shock: one word F word!!!

5 x 60 sec., first 30 sec. rest, last rest was probably 60 sec. BRUTAL!!!

5 x 60 sec. 'just' handstand with 60 sec. rest...

Going down from the last handstand i got a nerve like 'jolt' down the leangth of my back(not spine, along the sides lats + S. erectus) when my legs where stil supported by the wall 'crawling' foreward with my hands at about a 45 degree angle, maybe pushed myself i bit to much :?

Wrist pushups are REALLY hard on my wrists!! can only support my weight when on my knees and hip/knee angle at 90 degrees...

Alvaro

This workout is misleading... it seems not very hard at the beginning (maybe difficult technically ), but once you hit the wall Runs... Holly Cow that IS hard!.

1x5 Pl box press HS, legs tucked pretty high.

1x5 Pike press HS also box high.

3x5 press to HeS straddle

Till this point is not hard, simply: you can do it or you can´t, but with the wall runs...

30 min to finish them strict with chronometer , most of it the last 5 min with rounds of 10-15 secs only. Next day still sore!.

Wrist push ups are a must after all this wrist bending, bending my knees 90 degrees due to lack of strength but they are reliving.