This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Felipe's workout - with videos

Started by Felipe, May 15, 2008 · 20 Replies · 3,889 Views

Felipe

EDIT 2011

My bodyframe, shoulder development almost done only with bw exercises (I had little shoulder like most gym rats!). Too narcisistic? Nah, most of people in forums wants first to know what the results of somebody's training looks like!

28209113.jpg

77889298.jpg

EDIT 2010

WHO

20 years old

1,73cm @ 63-64 kg

WHAT

I love training. In the order, I like gymnastics, martial arts and powerlifting.

Being strong and able to do everything is my priority, together with health.

Interestingly, fun is also considerably very important.

BW FEATS (recently working or done in the past)

hepsu without walls

adv tucked planche to straddle

4x6 slow pull levers

muscle up x 5

back lever

front lever

hs on rings

full hspu x 5

hs for 40" sec - 70" sec with walls

5x5 l-sit pullups

GOALS FOR 2010

Planche

V-sit

1,5xbw squat

GOALS FOR LIFE

An iron cross would be something remarkable, I don't know if I will train for that.

Front Split, but I doubt it would help my performance. (BTW I had sagittal splits some years ago, but adductors flexibility is a different monster)

Manna, but it seems the harder thing possible.

Using bw skills to save my life in a dangerous situation, that's a fantastic goal :-) but I doubt I will need my strength in modern times!

Felipe

My bodyweight exercise include:

some pushups/crunch and shadow boxing/kicking for warm up

1) Front limbs x 2

2) back limbs x 2

3) L legs raises 3x10

4) V legs raises 3x10

5) L-sit raises 3x3

6) L-sit 3x10s

7) Manna intermediate lift 4x10s

8) Press to Handstand from the ground 3x5

9) Tucked planche 10s

10) PNF stretching for splits

-----

Today I did my very first muscle up. And I did a lot of them!

After 3 weeks of negatives and such, I performed it without thinking of.

It's just a movement your nervous system has to learn slowly.

Edward Smith

(Sorry for the interruption) I did my first muscle-up on Friday night, so pretty similar. It feels awesome huh? Forget runners high, gymnasts high. I can't imagine what it'll be like to hold a planche or do a back salt. Anyway congrats again and let it inspire and motivate you to keep going.

Ed

Felipe

hmm I didnt write there for quite some time...over a year eh!

I'm now 64 kg, in the first months of 2009 I worked hard for some legs mass...in fact I developed a 5x5 90kg squat! but now I didnt train them anymore (lack of gyms...I was training in a very dangerous garage situation :) ) I will restart leg training, I want a solid 2xBW squat before quitting lifting and maximal strength training!

For now I'm working on rings 3x week and running 3x.

Running is quite good, I'm feeling that I can sprint for minutes...very happy with a solid 1hour/10km jogging.

Rings are going good! I can do BL and mantain it for 10 sec now, I can partially press to HS, and working for FL. I feel that my latissimus dorsi is growing huge.

My last routines follow this structure (I do it in an abandoned city park, there is a huge structure of 5m height):

1) warming up: 3x10 pushups-followed-by-bodyrows (they are a unique exercise!)

2) HS work, about 4x10"s (cannot leave the legs from the straps...)

3) 3x3 muscle up

4) 3x10" BL

5) some ice cream, but at this point I'm quite tired

after that, I go to a bike way out of the city, and do:

6) wide horse stance for minutes (I read somewhere that for doing the split you need to hold it for 5 min)

7) 20' jogging (if it's jogging day, I would do a 60' long run without the rings training)

Razz

The horse stance is not really related to splits. If you want to do splits practice them, make sure to work active flexibility in the new ROM aswell

Felipe

With the coming of the autumn I can't do rings training in that park anymore (and it's horrible to do it if you haven't a thing 4m tall). In fact I didn't run either since I don't really love it.

I've done about a month of in-home training. Quite boring but useful for planche and HS work.

Now I'm starting work out in a gym.

Tuesday I did 3x5 68kg squats, 3x5 64 kg bench, 3x5 dumbell shoulder press with 12 kg each. After doing 1x8 pullups, I feel like being full of lactic acid.

Thursday I was not very happy of going to the gym, but it was an incredible good workout.

5x5 squat 62 kg (very deep and fluid ones, working on quality)

5 min of good passive stretching for splits

5x5 press 44 kg (dunno why I suck at press, maybe my wrists)

3x5 clean 44 kg (first time ever done this, some guys did them in such a slow-wrong way I had to do them, even if my experience was only from a rippetoe book)

5x5 rowing machine 50 kg (usually people try to perform it using the arms power; I lower the max weight and try to squeeze only my back)

3x5 horrible biceps isolating exercises 10-12-14 kg (sometimes you need them to feel the burn and fill your heart of emotions- I wiil do only pullups from now!)

some abdominal work

I want to mix the weight training with the gymnastics one, but I didnt found a way to do it from workout to workout. I can only do it from period to period. I think I will focus on strength training for faster result on skills later.

Felipe

New year, new considerations.

-I had some logs before, but starting this year I will write everything on tables I did on Numbers (Apple program). It's the key of programming. I didn't post regulary here because it requires too much time to rewrite everything.

-I will fix a problem I'm having in the right leg since november (probably a tendonitis, it's a strange subtle irritation that I feel sometimes during the day). The cause is either bad form on squats (not really bad, It was like a sumo squat, but can develop problems on your thighs with the femour head form) or unbalance between little muscles. For now I'm repeating the 2 weeks of stop I've already done (it vanished in late december but return after skiing)

-I will try to raise in the early morning (but not very likely to do that, I like sleeping too much!) and do basic stuff like prehab movements and simple elements (hs for quality, l-sit, pushups). This is the toughest goal, since it's linked to a different vision of life, perhaps social life: if you have to train at 7:00, you have to be in bed at 10:30, and surely eating well (and studying at university). All this commitment is traded for a more ascetic way of life. Off course you meet people and friends, but you have a different vision, and so different thoughts that distinguish you from the normal joe.

-The goals that I have in training are the same of the previous years. I did accomplished something in the past, but I lacked quality, and I wish to improve only that now.

-I'm also experimenting various combination of the sports I love. This is good for the quantity of skills I have but not for the quality. I feel going between point A and B doing the same things (but always, even if in a very slow motion, improving). Maybe I should stick only with gymnastics...or programming better.

Yesterday I bought new elastics (old ones tear off). I experimented some rings-like hold position for time (10-15 sec every pos). I feel great! I think they re quite helping for planche (and for a minor pain I have in my left shoulder since 18y when I do front lever-like movements, I really can't imagine what can last so long)

After 3 months of lifting weights, I restarted doing pure gymnastics workouts. Yesterday it was the third: in the 2 prior to that I felt like every static position was new, but now I can say that V-sit is still the same, hs is the same, planche is the same.

I don't feel stronger in the positions, but I feel faster in progressing. Which was the point of doing dynamic maximal strength training with weights.

Felipe

Yeah! Old gym with new a coach! I now have access to p-bars, a trampoline and mats, and my old friends. Friendship has a great effect on training, racing and motivating each other is a fun way to giving the best you have!

The latter is that they don't follow a good scheme for training:

-tons of abdominal exercises in the beginning

-training 2 events a day...doing whatever you want.

I basically can't escape the first part, but in the second part I follow the scheme skills-pressing-pulling-static-core or legs.

Kippe movements and front flips are very fun.

Felipe

I must admit, I don't like logging online :D reason is, I spend some time logging offline on an old fashioned white page, and even after I report it on the pc it seems so little, that I could not think of anyone who could be interested in it :?

I have to say, I improved a lot here after years of reading coach, slizzard, gregor, steve low, dillon, ashita, ido. Being only a fan of physical conditioning and not a student limits my ability to discern some training and nutrition trends that are raising.

I previously was too much fixed on traditional ideas, but now I'm open to question anything.

The obvious truths I got are more or less these:

-large statistics is more than mere opinion or factual evidence...

-...but it's still an extremely poor way of understanding reality if the study is not well prepared (for example china study on vegetarian)

-I don't know anything of biochemistry so it's better if I don't open my mouth about it

-...but I'm not alone!

-There are genetic freak who can train all the time (dont tell me ashita is your average joe :D )

-and others like ido who just...train all the time

-the body is a marvelous machine that will adapt to almost anything, so different philosophy of training work better for some people and not others

-...but the only one that works for everyone is HARD WORK

I'm confused about my fitness goals. Not having good training partners/mentor is probably the big reason. I like gymnastics but dont have time/energy to do it with lifting and even running. I have to decide about priorities...probably will train squat up to 2x and continue doing gymnastics in my old gym for fun and get that damned FL

BTW here it's a improvised BL from june, not trained at all in the year before or so (got it sept 09 I think)

jif8WCVsYTI

Felipe

I noticed that I never respond to my 2 only commenter so after 2 years...It's never too late :)

ed x said:
(Sorry for the interruption) I did my first muscle-up on Friday night, so pretty similar. It feels awesome huh? Forget runners high, gymnasts high. I can't imagine what it'll be like to hold a planche or do a back salt. Anyway congrats again and let it inspire and motivate you to keep going.

Ed

It's a great moment when you feel you just got the skill, it's euphoric. But I sort of forget most of the skill I've got...strange uh?

I don't clearly remember some moment because when you train for weeks something, then you try it like always and it feels like you ever had it.

It seems a trigger, like when you learn to go on the bicicle. Other dynamic skill are somewhat different (like frontflip or long kippe on pbars) since you need to get accustomed to not strength but timing.

Howerever realizing you're able to do something you cant before and than only a couple of others can it's fantastic. Like wearing a badge that displays you accomplished some sort of crazy mission you have done for months!

Razz said:

The horse stance is not really related to splits. If you want to do splits practice them, make sure to work active flexibility in the new ROM aswell

Yeah, but it trains the same muscles so it's somewhat useful. Actually, I trained only that during the summer without doing the isometrics. Now I regressed my strength in the lowest position, distance is probably the same, but I feel more stable in my hips.

Felipe

The training of today. Precisely 90 mins (aha I'm so slow):

-FSP1min warmup + wall HS in 2 sets, dunno why (only position that I cant do for a min), all the others are good. The hollow position still make me shake.

-Lsit 5x12s on floor 1min of pause.

I was able to do a 3x30 lsit on pbars before but my form was bad, I was trembling like a mad and I needed more than 3 min of pause to complete the thing. Now I'm searching for quality! (and maybe for being really fresh 6x10s is better)

-HSPU on chair 5x3

I sort of bounce at the bottom (fast tempo) be aware the audio is high! :mrgreen:

wNuGWFaQMSM

3 or more mins of rest between, I dont count when I do pure strength.

-isometric front split 3x30s

my level of flexibility 6 months ago (now is a little better)

schermata20101122a19281.png

pancake is funny

schermata20101122a19284.png

-3xfront limbs

I consumed 1+ liter of water in between, I usually drink it at the end of the workout but in these days it's just too hot.

Like ashita, I use music of conditioning the mind and reach the best reps I could.

My room is acceptable before the gym opens, I can use the stereo, internet and stuff. I would like a garage but unfortunately I dont have one.

Felipe

-some sparring and rope skipping, some hs too

-front split iso 4x30s I did it before everything because I was pretty warmed up after the kicks involved in sparring. I returned to the best shape here (like 4 workouts to restore my previous levels after 2 months or so of doing only light exercises for legs), I can feel the ankle and bouncing even the shin. Mantaining proper body alignment is very hard at this stage, and if I use something other than my legs I take weight off the the legs and that will not make me improve. Howerever I feel this is the key that keeps me from reaching the split.

-lsit 5x12s perfect form on ground with shoes on

-back limbx3 improved alot here, I can finally pull my body with the legs but only in the higher part of the movement

-I didnt do hspu because I was afraid with the shoulder. Instead I tried some dips at the end of the workout (that are sure worst :evil: ). No problem but I usually cant feel anything when warmed up, so I try to be careful

Felipe
swarovski said:
why would you bother with isometrics when you already have splits and pancake?

ahah be honest my friend, it's still not a full front split! And even if I could do it in a passive way, I would do isometrics just for the ability of doing it cold. Also, it helped me getting at this level.

I was at 2 palms from ground since I was 16 or so, but when I was 13 I was 1 meter from ground. I made alot of improvement with passive stretch alone when I was still growing up. I spent plenty of time stretching (I remember once doing a 1h session only of stretching, or doing sidesplit before sleeping for 1 months strict) but cant go further. When I finally started doing isometric in a serious way (I had Kurz book for a long time, but Van Zandt was the bomb) in 6 months (with some pauses of weeks) I reached that level. So they definitely are way better, and I was quite prepared to them since I've done taekwondo, karate and gymastics so I had conditioned adductors.

swarovski said:
ps

back lever seemed effortless for you and your hspu are very impressive. well done

Thanks for compliment on BL and HSPU :D

The first was near my limits, would like to have a solid 10s one. The legs are a little spread out but it's something I just cant do (it happens even in superman position during warmup). Reading people here I was quite fortunate to learn how to do it. I remember the first time I did it was lower, for 2 seconds, and I squeezed from my butt to my forehead the hardest I could. Now it's still hard, but not maximal. As you can see, I get into it using that type of slow reverse kippe that coaches call Reverse Crank. It was the trick that made me getting it.

The hspu is like the muscle up. You have to work the skill, not only the strength.

In both there is some neural adaptation to the movement that I could only describe as "understanding". After that, you will do them even in your 70 (like some video posted!) like going on bicicle.

A key you need to know is when to advance to the next progression and try the full movement. It not depends only on the strength but also on the level of coordination you've get.

All in all, remember that I'm only 172@64kg so it's easier for me than most people!

I enjoy writing long answers now that I can (lessons start next week!). Howerever doing consultation for money would be a fun and paid hobby :idea:

Felipe

1h at the park getting sun 8) trying acrobatics and kicking plus some sprints. My pulmonary capacity really sucks :?

3x30 iso split at home, didnt really want to because my legs were tired, mediocre results.

swarovski

yeah, I should train HS more, I really sucks at it, but I'm much better then I was after all. I don't know, it may be because I've always been good at sprinting...

I can do BL as well, but only for 3-4secs and it really drains everything from me.

thanks for taking the time to reply.

Felipe

Yesterday

6xsfp warmup + hs + 4x12s lsit

hspu 3-3-3-3-3 slower tempo. I throwed some half reps in addition of the sets written. I didnt returned to hs position in these so I didnt count them.

split iso 3x40" + 3 mins of hard passive stretch

2xfront limbs ugly

1h and 30" but I managed to cook the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minestrone, walk the dog out, and shutting off the internet every 5 min for downloading a stuff divided in many pieces :-)

I should totally do some pull work. I cant do it at home, door bars are terrible. This year I will do weighted pullups for the first time, I discovered a way to start them without buying a belt

fvoevMeAap4

E5ez0KbF9QU

Felipe

On 22-24-26 I probably did something but not writing...not exist. Verba volant scripta manent

From 27 to today still I'm having the flu. It really sucks. I want to do a ton of training but am limiting myself to doing nothing - bad cough could only become worst.

Felipe

I had the flu for 3 weeks straight. I've done 6 weight session after that, returning to a 5x5 90kg squat. Will progress to 2x squat and than mantain that.

My rotators are getting better and better, and my lats too. I do not care for abs, calves, bic and tric :D I'm doing lot of dynamic first and static strech after the main lift.

I will not go the gymnastics gym, they moved it and there are not even pbars...maybe next month they will add them with/or rings only.

Seiji

Oh wow, I didn't realize this was the same Filipe as on tricksession.

It's nice to see some people are interested in bodyweight exercise rather than just getting roided up to deadlift haha

Felipe

Ah seiji, the online world is so tiny and full of crazy techno training geek like us!

As for me, I'm working alot with weights and logging on another site.

I have to say, my strength has improved alot but my bw skills are descending with an incredibly fast pace.

My HS is good but I can do it only for a dozen of seconds.

My HS press is better in control but a little worse in form.

My front pulls are crazy harder than before, probably due to heavier legs.

My L-sit litteraly sucks..

Didnt try BL.

Will reintroduce the lsit and isometric split when my 2x bw squat will be achieved (I'm now at 1,8x for five reps)

Then starting a one hand pullup regime after achieving a 0,5x pullup, together with FL

Incredibly the only thing that makes my gym's owner scream is the HS, so I will maybe need to train it at home.

Felipe

I still train, and I'm searching for the :not_the_easter_egg: