This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100706

Started by Coach Sommer, July 6, 2010 · 23 Replies · 3,226 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete the following:

3 sets of: 3 MU, XR L-sit, 3 press to shoulder stand, roll backward to BL, FL

5x15 seconds Inverted Hang

5x15 seconds German Hang

5x15 seconds XR Support Hold

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

2) Perform the most difficult MU variation that you are capable of performing without kipping or swinging.

3) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Rings Strength 3 essay.

4) All static holds are held for 2 seconds; except the XR L-sit which should be held for 10 seconds.

5) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

6) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

Kenneth Manning

Just to clarify- when it reads "3 MU," etc, I assume that the ring series is performed 3 times for each set. So in all one would perform 9 muscle ups/ BL / XR L sit / ....?

Coach Sommer
killroy70 said:
Just to clarify- when it reads "3 MU," etc, I assume that the ring series is performed 3 times for each set.

Yes, begin each set with 3 muscle-ups.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Saber2

What do you suggest if the hardest MU variation we can do is kipping/swinging or in my case jumping :oops: Should we do 3 strict pullups followed by 3 strict dips?

Coach Sommer
What do you suggest if the hardest MU variation we can do is kipping/swinging or in my case jumping ... Should we do 3 strict pullups followed by 3 strict dips?

Excellent question.

Yes, if CPP work is currently too demanding it is always best to substitute appropriate FBE elements. In this instance, you could consider substituting false grip pullups and XR Russian dips where you go as deep into the muscle up transition as you are able before pressing back up.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nicholas Herreros

Can you please clarify a False Grip? I do have BtGb and videos, i read, attempt and re-read but i'm still not sure if i am understanding what a False Grip is? You specify holding the ring from the first knuckle on the index finger and letting it rest across the palm. Which knuckle is considered the first knuckle? The knuckle on the index finger closest to the tip or the palm of the hand? I am figuring it is the knuckle closest to the palm but just would like some clarification.

Thanks

Neal Winkler
lnick1975 said:
Can you please clarify a False Grip? I do have BtGb and videos, i read, attempt and re-read but i'm still not sure if i am understanding what a False Grip is? You specify holding the ring from the first knuckle on the index finger and letting it rest across the palm. Which knuckle is considered the first knuckle? The knuckle on the index finger closest to the tip or the palm of the hand? I am figuring it is the knuckle closest to the palm but just would like some clarification.

Thanks

Welcome to the board. A google search using the term "false grip" will yield more than enough results on what a false grip is.

Josh Schmitter
Coach Sommer said:
Yes, if CPP work is currently too demanding it is always best to substitute appropriate FBE elements. In this instance, you could consider substituting false grip pullups and XR Russian dips where you go as deep into the muscle up transition as you are able before pressing back up.

So a partial dip would be preferred to a full negative? Just curious as I'm used to: up to the next level when you can do 5 reps...i.e. 5 negatives, then to jumping.

Jason Stein

Coach Sommer,

XX and I were wondering if you'd post a few comments on the static holds that have begun appearing with the ring workouts.

They seem like great connective-tissue conditioning and pre-hab, and perhaps also strength work.

What are your thoughts and recommendations about incorporating them more frequently, but with less volume? They feel like good medicine. Or just perform them as prescribed after the ring workouts, every 6 WODs?

Thanks much,

jason

Joshua Naterman
TANSTAAFL said:
So a partial dip would be preferred to a full negative? Just curious as I'm used to: up to the next level when you can do 5 reps...i.e. 5 negatives, then to jumping.

That's a good question. I *think* that a full negative is going to do you more good, but it has to be a fairly slow negative, 5-8 seconds and steady speed all the way down. Doing negatives once a week as a workout by themselves is plenty. One other time you should probably do your best 5 reps of the partial ROM at a 212 or 313 tempo. When you're doing sets of 5 of these, you will probably find out that you'll be able to press back up. Part of building that strength is to hold yourself at the bottommost part of the dip for a few seconds instead of just letting go. That isometric hold at the end will start teaching your nervous system that it is ok to hold weight in that position. Right now it has probably never done that, so of course it's not going to let you! Try to remember that each of these is a powerful tool, and that if you use them all together in the right amounts you will get your best results!

You can use isometrics to build dip strength as well. Start at the top of the dip, go down about 30 degrees and pause for 3-5 seconds. Go down 30 more degrees and pause. Why 30 degrees? Isometrics that are not at the extreme end ROM tend to build strength within a 15 degree arc of the hold point in both directions, which makes 30 degrees. By performing a short hold every 30 degrees all the way down to the bottom of the dip, which should be 5 total holds if you start at the top with a hold and go all the way down to the bottom, you'll build the ability to hold yourself in position. If you can't do all 5 holds either use a shorter pause of 1-2 seconds or just do the bottom two pauses.

I personally think that alternating between a workout of negatives and a workout of your best partial ROM will give good results, but the important thing is that you stay consistent with whatever you try. Negatives require a lot of recovery compared to concentric contractions, so you really shouldn't do a lot of negatives more than once a week. Isometrics require almost no recovery because there is almost no protein damaged. So, isometric holds on your off days, as long as you don't go overboard, will help you a lot without wearing you out. 2 holds at the top, middle, and bottom of the dip, with 90 degrees being considered the middle, should plenty if each hold is around 10 seconds to start with. If that's too much, it's ok to do less time. Build up to a good 10 seconds at least. That, all by itself, may well have you doing full ROM dips within a few weeks.

Josh Schmitter

slizzardman

thankx a lot for that. These are all the little things that I wasn't sure about as I have tried lots of programs in the past without having the actual benefits of this vs. that with all the reasons behind it. This will def. help me out going along with the WOD's as that's really all I'm doing now until I get somewhat comfortable with the basics. You and trianglechoke have been extremely helpful and more importantly, simultaneously specific and thorough in your advice which not only makes it helpful for me, but for others with potentially completely different questions/problems.

-TANSTAAFL-

josh

Blairbob

TANSTAAFL, you may be able to try this for a MU. However, I do not know your strength levels or if you can hold a false grip in this position.

K8JQhb-mWUg the more horizontal you are, the more difficult they will be

Lay down on your back and lower the rings till they are almost in your hands. Get into a false grip and do a false grip body row with your feet still on the ground and use them to assist you as you push into the dip after the MU transition.

Using this, you could also start with a supported ring position and allow your legs to help you lower yourself through a ring dip negative and through the transition into a false grip hang. Try to maintain the false grip hang and you could in effect do a negative ring body row in the false grip. When doing these, I like to add a pullup while in the false grip after I reach the bottom. Then I dismount and start at the top again (though you could do 3 of these body row MU like as prescribed in the WOD). This is what I will probably do for my guys tomorrow or rig up an assist with a block or band.

You could do the XR ring support instead of L-sit even with the feet assisted. The whole point of what I wrote above is it will allow you to perform the WOD a bit more closely so you will gain the benefit of the TUT of the 3 MU+support hold. I would skip the presses to shoulder stand or perform assisted partial ROM dips perhaps with that tempo of 313 or 212.

You could dismount the rings and then work from an inverted hang to tuck FL and tuck BL if you wish. If either are too challenging, I would perform a body lever or hollow hold instead of FL and an arch hold instead of BL. You will already be doing enough work in german, invert, and support so I would not work any more german hang at your level (I'm guessing). If inverted hangs are relatively easy for you, you could do a 10s inverted hang, then the hollow/body lever and arch hold.

Josh Schmitter

Thanks Blairbob, I will totally try some of the false grip stuff as you and myself alike am not sure how my strength in that area is. I imagine very weak considering my pull up strength, but I might be surprised. Even as such, that video gives very easy/almost vertical standing versions possibilities so it should be good. As for the XR Lsit I can manage ok, and my tuck FL is about 12-15s max depending on the day. (What exactly is the Inverted hang to arch hold? Would this be kinda like going down into a tuck FL from the inverted?)

Thanks again as I am still unsure many times at how to scale down while losing the least amount of 'essence' of the actual WOD. I just checked and I can get my rings up on a tree outside...just barely, so I'll need a chair/etc. for any jumping/negative stuff, but it's good to know I have a place I'll be able to do a full ring series(when I'm ready) without adjusting the height between inverted hang and dips and etc., etc.

This WOD... I did before I got all this most excellent(said in the style of BIll and Ted) advice...

Did 3 sets of -3 partial dips -XR Lsit(legs slightly below 90)10s -3 partial jumps to shoulder stand(not sure if I was remotely doing these right...they felt way to easy) -Pull to BL,FL

did 5x15 of all the hangs...

inverted I found I could just do for space with my hair brushing the floor, felt very easy strength wise.

The Germans gave me some trouble in my elbows as I'm working on turning my palms back. I made sure to try to keep it in the 'just right' level of trouble.

XR support hold is getting better, still shaking a lot but it feels like more of a balance problem than strength one.

The wall extensions killed. My back always feels really good after these, but I was shaking by the middle of the second set...oddly enough my upper arms seemed to give out first to the shaking.

Kenneth Manning

This workout was tough but felt great.

I scaled it (as usual) to my abilities and added a bit due to my inability to complete everything as prescribed:

4 rounds:

3 MU [had to reset grip after each muscle up as I lose my false grip on the negative. This is something I have to work on. By the 4th round I was resting around 10 sec between mu's ]

--> after the third mu (without dropping from the rings) I did XR L sit x 10 (legs tended to drop a Tad bit below parallel towards the end of each) --> BL x 5 --> 1/2 lay FL x 5, 4, 3, final round advanced tuck FL x 8

Then I performed the statics in a giant set and did 5 rounds of:

Inverted hang x 15 --> BL x 5 --> German hang x 15, dropped off rings then did XR support x 15

Did one set of wall extensions (dear God these are harder than they look!!!) and tried a second but started to seriously cramp in my upper back/rear delts. Need to work on these.

Great workout!

Richard Duelley

Did this as prescribed, very good workout. I would have done 5x15 XR Lsits, like last time, but I was totally beat up after my handbalancing work and the ring series :mrgreen: I still dont like the 15 second german hangs, I have the most flexible shoulders in the gym and almost hang straight down when in a german hang and by the 5th set I really have to work through the 15 seconds. :shock:

Blairbob
Inverted hang to arch hold

that is a mistake.

you would work inverted hang and then work arch/superman hold on the ground seperately.

Blairbob

Did this at home, so it was short straps, long straps would have been heinous. 5m rest periods.

MU were assisted from seated L. L-sit became support hold though I tried a tuck support in 1st round. Would fall after that support hold, 1st press came down to fast and sorta tweaked lower back. Did the rest in tuck/straddle 1 at a time, could not connect. Then jumped to support and rolled back into BL though 3rd round roll fell. 1st 2 rounds were from InvertHang and on 3rd I went from basket, much easier and better.

Used 15s rest for invert hang, 30s for german hangs with tip toe support and anywhere from 30-90 for support, seemed to top out around 12s.

Planks and hollow/arch at end with shoulder wall ext. Did a lot of the shoulder prehab and theraband before ring series. Some bridge wall walks and HS/press HS stuff before L and straddle-L then theraband series.

Saber2

Did this WOD today 7/7

Not exactly as listed because my rings are suspended from a door pullup bar so height is a factor. I really want to build something for outside but I think my parents would be against having two 10' poles in the back yard. I sure hope when I get a house it has vaulted ceilings :D

Anyway the workout went like this

3 MU (First two sets was where my feet were touching the ground like in Blairbob's video, I fully pressed after transition. The last set I followed coaches advice with the False grip pullups and the "russian dips" on rings)

Followed by XR L-sit for 10 seconds

Followed by FL and BL for the appropriate time.

Then I went to do Press to HeS. Attempted the shoulderstand but had no luck, I figure this was the appropriate substitution.

Then I did back to back

5x15s Inverted Hang

5x15 Support Hold

Lastly I did the German Hangs...Times were awful 10, 10, 7, 14 (Discomfort is what stopped me)

I played around with the MU some more because I am really pissed I cannot do these. I attempted to try them with bands (again thanks for the idea blairbob) and failed. I keep getting stuck at that damn transition. Then I was trying to do negatives from the bottom of the dip and I either moved an inch or flopped down when I got too far. The only reason I am upset with this move is because I have been trying to accomplish it for some time now. I first heard of this through rosstraining and his books, and I was doing that for a year or two before joining here. I guess I need to GTG on this move. I think that is the only way I will nail this down.

I must say I do love the gymnastic training regime. It has been an eye opener to me and shows where I lack strength. However on the other hand it is just down right fun. I feel like a kid on a playground.

Blairbob

Yep, work the negative MU from support to false grip hang. I like to go into a false grip L-hang generally because of clearance but I think the L part of the hang counterbalances one a bit possibly.

You can do the negative MU with an assist with your feet on a box or the ground. Set the rings so you are in a support on your tiptoes.

Josh Schmitter

Saber2, thanks for listing all your subs. I was also struggling a bit on the german hangs but, it has become easier. The false grip stuff is killing me as well. You are stronger than me by far, but are close enough where I am very interested to read your WOD's as they help me out a lot with subs. and how you're getting through your weak points. When you said press to headstand, do you mean just a RLL from headstand or ?

Blairbob, for the superman/arch holds...do you recommend doing static holds, reps, or a combo of both...as you are the backmaster:). thanks again for that false grip/muscle up video.

Alvaro

I did this:

3X

- 3 false grip pull ups, then 3 XR dips (legs supported over a bar) trying to lower on Russian dip but just that trying, 10 sec XR L sit, 3 shoulder stand (stepping in the same bar knee high). Over all was a bit better than last time.

then:

-5x15 seg inverted hang no problem here

-5(or 6 as I lost the count so I throw another one just in case) x 15 seg German hang. I felt much better with this ones, much deeper than last time and with the legs fully hanging) The last 2 sets were 10 secs as my shoulder were burning a bit)

-5 X10 XR support, my elbows where too tired so form went down fast, I had to finish with no straight arms to hold the time.

I felt a bit more comfortable than the last time with this WOD, the only issue is that my grip is fried from this two last days. Maybe this is due to the thinner bar I used for the chin ups yesterday ( although this is contrary to what I read here on grip)

Saber2
TANSTAAFL said:
When you said press to headstand, do you mean just a RLL from headstand or ?

I am not sure because I thought the RLL had to be from a 90 degree angle. If that is the case than its a press to handstand. I started from the floor. However when I lowered my legs I went as low as I can to a control point. It was just above the floor but I imagine sooner than later I will nail that one. I guess me and you are in the same boat for this quest of gymnastic movements.

Josh Schmitter

Yeah, in the BtGB book there is a HeS RLL(which is weighted in the book so it's in the harder level, but I do them unweighted) which is just going into a headstand, then keeping the back straight, bringing the legs down to the floor or as close(i.e. box, wall) as possible and back up...you can do it in pike, straddle, whatevs, but I imagine if you can only do it in a straddle you should also work regular/weighted RLL(i.e. back a step). So are you in a headstand or a handstand I guess is what all that is asking :)?

Blairbob
Blairbob, for the superman/arch holds...do you recommend doing static holds, reps, or a combo of both...as you are the backmaster:). thanks again for that false grip/muscle up video.

I personally enjoy high rep hollow and arch rocks but they are probably easier than the static holds since you can use the momentum to keep it going somewhat.

For beginners, stick with build up the basic hollow and arch hold. For the hollow hold, your lower back must be pressed flat into the floor.

The super basic easy way I have gymnasts start these is to lay on their back and lift their legs so their toes point at the ceiling. Then bend at their knees so their toes point forward. From there, do an ab crunch and lift your shoulders off the ground and place your hands on top of your knees. I prefer straight arms versus grabbing the hamstrings (as that is easier but acceptable for someone weaker). Eventually, they will work on extending from the 90-90 hollow hold until their legs are straight and toes are above the floor by a few inches. The lower back must not arch off the floor! After their legs are straight, they will keep their arms crossed over their chest. Arms held vertical and then arms held horizontal covering their ears. You can also begin using small weights or med balls at this point.

Arch hold is pretty easy. For the super weak, the knees should be off the floor but the butt must be squeezed and have the chest as high off the floor as possible with the arms bent or reaching and touching the IT band or hamstrings. Eventually the arms will cover the ears and the legs will be straight and together. Holding the top of the RLL is similar to this, possibly more difficult but it is very simple. The last time I tested this with my guys I found it too simple and stopped testing it because it took too much time.

Maybe this is due to the thinner bar I used for the chin ups yesterday ( although this is contrary to what I read here on grip)
Have you ever tried to climb a rope of 3/4 or 1/2 inch. It will make your hands cramp up easy. The thinner rope does not lend itself towards strengthening the elbows.