This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My humble log

Started by Adriano Katkic, July 2, 2010 · 3 Replies · 1,133 Views

Adriano Katkic

Yesterday SSC end testing results:

floor L-sit - 25s. Straight back and legs, legs parallel with ground, hips slightly in front of arms. Didn't even train it from February, body levers are guilty for this one.

flat tuck BL - 30s

tuck planche - 24s

tuck FL - 24s

wall handstand - 65s. Straight body line now and feels much more comfortable.

When I started my previous SSC, stats were:

floor L-sit - was around 27 or 29s with curved back and legs were not parallel with ground and not fully straight.

flat tuck BL - 13s

tuck planche - 11s

flat tuck FL - 11s

wall handstand - 40s. Poor form, too much arching.

Did half max time as one rep 'till 1 minute of accumulated work for each for 10 weeks, except handstand; aimed for 3 minutes of work.

Seems fine, except FL. It deteriorated somewhere around 2nd week of my now finished SSC. Just lost it overnight for mysterious reasons, so I had to start FL training all over from the beginning. Can hold flat tuck for 12 seconds now.

Can balance like second or two when trying free handstand.

Was thinking of trying harder variations for every static, but I think I'll go for longer holds with these.

I'll be on a trip 'till tuesday afternoon, so I'll define my new cycle either tuesday or wednesday. Can't wait!

Animalonfire

Looks like you could do with stepping up ALL of your hold progressions (You may wish to re-read paragraph 9 pg 172 of BtGB) unless you're having problems with your joints or your goal is not strength (in which case you are on the wrong program :P ).

It's very easy to get comfortable with the lower progressions and simply ramp up the time, but that's not the way to develop your strength, and it's incredibly dull.The same applies for your HS, leaning on a wall will do nothing for your free standing ability, and by now your endurance can take the practice very easily.

Fl has dropped for me also (in fact most of your numbers are similar), my problem was that I was slightly below parallel, probably caused by poor lat recruitment. I find that making an effort to "un press" my shoulders helps loads. Not relevant though....

So test again, or waste a cycle IMHO. Nice progress btw, lets see some more in 2-3months time.

Adriano Katkic

Wasn't around for almost 3 months, so a little update would be nice.

I tried next progression for every static few days after, but to my surprise I couldn't even get myself into one. So ramping up time was only solution.

I would first do wall HS, 10 sets of 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, I'd try to balance for as long as I can. Depending on day, it was usually 2-5 seconds.

Then 5x12s floor L-sit.

Paired 6x10s tuck planche and tuck FL. This is because after 5x12s L-sit, 5x12 planche and FL weren't easy to do.

Finally, 4x15s flat tuck BL.

Of course, for every static 2 previous variations held for 30 sec was/is a norm.

FBEs are story of their own. Since door frame pull up bar, push up bars and two pieces of rope (acting as a substitute for rings) are all my equipment (besides a bench used for GHR and a backpack full of books), some of them suffered alternations.

SLS are pretty good, been stuck with same weight for few months, but that's because I avoided them for few weeks so I had to build strenght back. Had no reason to do that, was just lazy. 5x3

GHR-half is kinda easier than I expected, but still challenging. 5x5

HLL 5x3

RLL stall bar no weight 5x3. Didn't do those for few weeks as well, hence the stagnation (yes, was lazy too)

wide grip (door frame wide) behind neck L pull ups 5x3 (that L is not real L, my legs aren't parallel to ground, they drop a little)

flat tuck FL rows 5x3

something between reverse chin-up and reverse muscle-up 5x5

PPPu hands at hip level 5x5

partial ROM HeSPU 5x5

PB L dip 5x5 (PBs are actually two chairs and push up bars)

I go SSC with statics, FBEs are more on the fly, depending on how I feel.

Started this cycle July 12th, but due to going to the beach and doing other summer stuff a lot, trained only 2 times a week. Progress is obvious, but I'll keep doing this for 2-3 weeks to solidify gains. Don't mind doing longer cycles if it brings results.

Adriano Katkic

New cycle started on 02.11., 3 times a week.

Starting stats:

wall HS 111 sec

floor L-sit 31 sec

tuck planche 21 sec

tuck FL 21 sec

flat tuck BL 40 sec

Planche and FL didn't see any progress due to my bad posture and related postural issues which led finally to bad execution of exercises. This has been corrected now.

Current routine:

5 sets of 60 sec HS constantly trying to balance of the wall as much as I can. 45 sec breaks in between.

4 sets of 15 sec floor L-sit. 30 sec breaks in between.

6 sets of 10 sec paired planche and FL. 30 sec breaks in between.

3 sets of 20 sec BL. 30 sec breaks in between.

Before actual work, I warm up with 2 previous variations held for 30 sec each.

FBEs done after the static work:

1. XR dips 5X3. These are tough. Reverse Yewkis to flat tuck FL 5X3. These are challenging as well. RLL while hanging from improvised rings and leaning on the doors. 5X4-5. Thinking of adding some weight.

2. Partial range HeSPU 5X5. ROM improving. L pull ups 5X4. Was executing them wrong before. Door frame wide. Circular HLL 5X1. LOL. Did them 1st time today. Like how it feels.

3. XR PPP 5X3. Argh! Flat tuck FL rows 5X3. HLL 5X3.

With each rotation 4-4-3-3-3 weighted SLS and 5X5 half GHR with ROM constantly improving.

Week after I started I caught a cold so I did only 1st workout of the week and continued this week. I'm planning this cycle to last till the end of the year and then I'm going to test again.