This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FL/SE10 / half-front pull.

Started by Awais Muzaffar, August 11, 2024 · 14 Replies · 152 Views

Awais Muzaffar

Hey!

Here's an example, I can do maybe max 4 reps (to failure).


1. Can I please get a form check.

2. I'm struggling to build volume with this exercise. In the first three sets, I do 2 reps, and by the fourth set, I’m pushing just 1 rep to failure. This has been ongoing for several weeks, and I feel like I've plateaued. 

 

Alessandro Mainente
23 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey!

Here's an example, I can do maybe max 4 reps (to failure).


1. Can I please get a form check.

2. I'm struggling to build volume with this exercise. In the first three sets, I do 2 reps, and by the fourth set, I’m pushing just 1 rep to failure. This has been ongoing for several weeks, and I feel like I've plateaued. 

 

How many weeks do you push before a deload? with this low number of reps you MUST take a deload every 2 weeks approximately. another point probably ou need to insert another light day with higher reps because he volume of this day it is too low.

Awais Muzaffar

Hi,

So I am not really following a systematic approach to deloading. It seems like this is a must now.

My current plan is:

Pull A (Tuesday)
- Front pull (from hang to inverted) - 3 reps of 5 sets - consider this light
- RC Czech 2 - light

Pull B (Thursday)

- RC Czech 2 - 5 reps (each arm) of 4 sets - heavy

Pull C (Saturday)
- Half front pull (FL/SE10) - Current heavy set
- Weighted pull-ups as a secondary exercise

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
23 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi,

So I am not really following a systematic approach to deloading. It seems like this is a must now.

My current plan is:

Pull A (Tuesday)
- Front pull (from hang to inverted) - 3 reps of 5 sets - consider this light
- RC Czech 2 - light

Pull B (Thursday)

- RC Czech 2 - 5 reps (each arm) of 4 sets - heavy

Pull C (Saturday)
- Half front pull (FL/SE10) - Current heavy set
- Weighted pull-ups as a secondary exercise

Thanks!

you can do better. having 2 days one follwong the other with heavy load it is not good , 

day 1) heavy front lever + light czec

day2) weighted pullup (you do not need them since you sstill already have a bent arm pull day)

day 3) heavy czech + igth front lever work

 

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks! I'll adjust it to as recommended. On Day 2 shall I just to do light front lever work?

 

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Thanks! I'll adjust it to as recommended. On Day 2 shall I just to do light front lever work?

 

probably i would no nothing for pulling...

take into acount that this schedule content depends on the average intensity of the exercises on the heaavy days. the higherh the int the lower the volume.

Awais Muzaffar

Hi Alessandro,

Firstly, thank you for rearranging the routine; it has helped for sure. I was able to push past the 3-set phase and completed 5 sets today.

I've linked a few videos below:

My question now is more about form. When looking back, I noticed a slight hip closure when I change direction to go back up. I'm unsure if this is within an acceptable range or if it's something I should work on correcting. What do you think?

Thanks,

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi Alessandro,

Firstly, thank you for rearranging the routine; it has helped for sure. I was able to push past the 3-set phase and completed 5 sets today.

I've linked a few videos below:

My question now is more about form. When looking back, I noticed a slight hip closure when I change direction to go back up. I'm unsure if this is within an acceptable range or if it's something I should work on correcting. What do you think?

Thanks,

well...the leverage is pretty mich the same...you must think about beginning the movement from the hips and think that the legs are a rigid hips extension....if you begin the movement from the knees your are going to bend. now a cause can be a loos of tension in the last part of the eccentrich phase...

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Okay, so this has progressed well:

I can do 3x4 with my hips fully open throughout. As you said, the key is to initiate the movement from the hips.

The next challenge is increasing from 3x4 to 4x4. I seem to be plateauing at 3x4 for now.

hey Awais, in your specific case i would ad a lower amount of volume and build up with low volume a new set of 4 with a slow conversion, for example

4,4,4,1

4,4,4,1,1

4,4,4,,1,1,1

4,4,4,1,1,1,1

then conversion

4,4,4,2

4,4,4,2,1

4,4,4,2,1,1

4,4,4,2,2,1

another conversion

4,4,4,3

4,4,4,3,1

4,4,4,3,2

last conversion

4,4,4,4

it can sounds very slow but it allowes for slow adptation and no deload obligation

in the other sessio i would consider to use an elastic band and use a light day for exampple a band that allows for no more than 8 reps and do 4-5x2r

 

Awais Muzaffar

Excellent! Thanks for the detailed and specific plan; I'm looking forward to following this :)

 

Awais Muzaffar

Hi @Alessandro Mainente

I finally reached the 4x4 milestone and here is the 4th set with 4 reps (while also being away from failure): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHQ8HK9BvXw

Would it better to now aim for 5 sets of 4 reps OR 4 sets of 5 reps?

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi @Alessandro Mainente

I finally reached the 4x4 milestone and here is the 4th set with 4 reps (while also being away from failure): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHQ8HK9BvXw

Would it better to now aim for 5 sets of 4 reps OR 4 sets of 5 reps?

Thanks!

Hi Awais....well not to failure...probably 1 rep in reserve.

now my suggestion is to do  a ligth week where you do 3x3. 

the next week slowly add little step before to move to the 5 rep range. for example in 4 week:

  • week 1: 4x4; 1x2
  • week 2: 4x4; 2x2
  • week3; 4x4; 1x3
  • week4:  5x4
  • then ligth week
  • again same schema but with the 5x4 not the 4x4
  • then when you reach the 6x4, you can do ligth week and begin to insert sets of 5.
Awais Muzaffar

Thanks for the feedback! just so I don't make any mistakes:

Is Week 4, 5 sets of 4 reps, followed by another progression until I reach 6 sets of 4 reps

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Thanks for the feedback! just so I don't make any mistakes:

Is Week 4, 5 sets of 4 reps, followed by another progression until I reach 6 sets of 4 reps

yes..