This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Finally !

Started by Giulio Pizzini, February 29, 2024 · 4 Replies · 57 Views

Giulio Pizzini

After eight years since starting the program and just a few days before my 50th birthday I've finally completed Foundation for lower body !
Too bad I'm still between Foundation 1 & 2 on anything else :)

To continue my leg training I will focus on back squats, I was doing Olympic weightlifting before starting this program and might pick it up again in the future.

This is my plan, I'd love to get your thoughts @Alessandro Mainenteif you'd like.

I'm gonna keep my Foundation program the same as now with a "five days week": 1 core, 2 stretching, 3 upper, 4 lower, 5 stretching (with headstand here and there when I feel it).

For lower body the main exercise will be back squats 5 sets of 3 reps, same weight, avoiding grinding, reps have to be powerful and relatively smooth. I will use shoes and rest 2min between sets.
I will keep the following from Foundation on a weekly basis: Hip Prehab, Knee Series, a set of 10 of Natural Leg Curl, a set of 10 of Natural Leg Extension, a set of 10 of weighted arch ups, a set of 5 of single Leg Squat, a set of 5 of BW weighed lunges.

Let me know if seems a reasonable approach to you, thank you so much !

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Giulio Pizzini said:

After eight years since starting the program and just a few days before my 50th birthday I've finally completed Foundation for lower body !
Too bad I'm still between Foundation 1 & 2 on anything else :)

To continue my leg training I will focus on back squats, I was doing Olympic weightlifting before starting this program and might pick it up again in the future.

This is my plan, I'd love to get your thoughts @Alessandro Mainenteif you'd like.

I'm gonna keep my Foundation program the same as now with a "five days week": 1 core, 2 stretching, 3 upper, 4 lower, 5 stretching (with headstand here and there when I feel it).

For lower body the main exercise will be back squats 5 sets of 3 reps, same weight, avoiding grinding, reps have to be powerful and relatively smooth. I will use shoes and rest 2min between sets.
I will keep the following from Foundation on a weekly basis: Hip Prehab, Knee Series, a set of 10 of Natural Leg Curl, a set of 10 of Natural Leg Extension, a set of 10 of weighted arch ups, a set of 5 of single Leg Squat, a set of 5 of BW weighed lunges.

Let me know if seems a reasonable approach to you, thank you so much !

well...the reps for the back squats....depends on the goal..i would not stay always on lower reps because squats needs rythm and reps and reps..there you can have time for lower and higher reps..

Giulio Pizzini

I think you are right especially given that I have not done back squats for the last 8 years. I’ll start with 5x5 and then gradually drop reps until 5x3 as the rhythm develops and the weights increase 

Oliver Croft

Hi Giulio

Congrats on finishing the weighted lunges. I'm up to 100%bw with 4 x 5r...

I cannot do the full GHR yet (if ever :( ) but I am working on the leg curls.

What does GB recommend after the leg series (track 7) is finished? Is it barbell back squats?

I want to keep my leg strength but I don't want to add too much more mass to my legs because it will make my upper body elements harder and harder to do. I'm similar to Giulio in being on F1/F2 on the upper body and core tracks.

Giulio Pizzini

Hi Oliver, thank you, you are also almost there!

I don't think there is any 'official' GB recommendation, the way I understood it Foundation is in fact just the foundation for anything you want to do later, and that depends on you.

If your interest is in gymnastic I would imagine more advanced one leg work is the way to go, but I leave it to the coaches to comment on.

I'd love to take up again olympic weightlifting one day so back squat makes sense to that end.