This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE5

Started by Awais Muzaffar, February 14, 2024 · 24 Replies · 248 Views

Awais Muzaffar

Hi,

This is my very first attempt ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5SWxRfyNss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbHnkhcxPNo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcPXjxHzCFc

1. While I can initiate the extension of my leg, I struggle to sustain it for a prolonged duration, preventing the extended leg from locking in place.

2. I'm concerned that consistently attempting the above attempts and moving away from the open planche progression might lead to a loss of strength gains.

Thanks,

Awais Muzaffar

Here is me trying with a band: Planche variations are not my strong point even with a solid green band.

 

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Here is me trying with a band: Planche variations are not my strong point even with a solid green band.

 

hey Awais....i think that for now the main limitation is in the hips strenght.

Awais Muzaffar

Hey Alessandro,

The above still feels beyond my reach. Can I do something in between open planche and 1 leg extensions, such as the hips straddled but in more advanced tuck.

Like this:

 

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey Alessandro,

The above still feels beyond my reach. Can I do something in between open planche and 1 leg extensions, such as the hips straddled but in more advanced tuck.

Like this:

 

You have big upper legs..so this transition will take the biggest part of the time. i suggest to scale down the approach in 3 possible ways:

1- if you have a max hold of 6 seconds you can trian with sets of 2 o 3''

2- you can use a bands so that the max hold moves higher up to 10-12'' and ork on 4-6'' range 

3 - stay without  assistance but do not use isometric hold and only iso metric hold i mean...lean hold one second and step back...in this way there is no a prolonged hold but rather a sequence of lean + one second hold . this allows for more volume.

all of them work.

Awais Muzaffar

These are very nice approaches. I've had better success in the past with dynamic work and volume, so number 3 is something I'm keen to use.

Many thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

These are very nice approaches. I've had better success in the past with dynamic work and volume, so number 3 is something I'm keen to use.

Many thanks!

you can evaluate one day option2 and one day option 3.

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks. I'll try out option 2 as well. What do you think of my attempt with option 3?

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Thanks. I'll try out option 2 as well. What do you think of my attempt with option 3?

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3

I do not like too much the tendency of leaving the floor with one feet at time...it distributes the tension differentyl between the 2 shoulders.

Awais Muzaffar

Hey!

I've made some progress - I currently do 4 sets of 4 second holds. I'm able to:

  • keep my hips level
  • lift my feet at same time
  • maintain protraction
  • increase my lean so my knees stay further behind my elbows

What would be a good target time to work up to?

Thanks!

 

Alessandro Mainente
19 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey!

I've made some progress - I currently do 4 sets of 4 second holds. I'm able to:

  • keep my hips level
  • lift my feet at same time
  • maintain protraction
  • increase my lean so my knees stay further behind my elbows

What would be a good target time to work up to?

Thanks!

 

hey Awais, there are some details:

- from this side appears that your left hips is more extended...ieally i suld not be able to see the left leg from my position...this means different knees position

- train this variation if you have at least 12'' hold....if not use a ligth band..

Awais Muzaffar

Hey @Alessandro Mainente

Can you please critique my adv tuck planche (slight stradddle) using a band this time:


Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
On 12/20/2024 at 9:55 AM, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey @Alessandro Mainente

Can you please critique my adv tuck planche (slight stradddle) using a band this time:


Thanks!

lower the hips a bit..

Awais Muzaffar

I'm focusing on keeping my hips lower and have switched to a lighter band (from 8kg to 5kg) to prevent my hips from floating. I'm sticking to 4 seconds, as holding any longer affects my form.

set 1
set 2
set 3
set 4 - I lost some protraction here.
set 5 - I lost a hold time here.

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

I'm focusing on keeping my hips lower and have switched to a lighter band (from 8kg to 5kg) to prevent my hips from floating. I'm sticking to 4 seconds, as holding any longer affects my form.

set 1
set 2
set 3
set 4 - I lost some protraction here.
set 5 - I lost a hold time here.

Thanks!

well if you cannot hold at least 10'' i would use heavier band!

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks! I've always wondered if heavier bands might be counterproductive at times, as they can sometimes create an extra floaty feeling in the hips. 

Unfortunately, having to resort to a heavier band definitely highlights that this is a weak area for me—or it could be that there’s too much weight in my legs, just as you often point out

Nonetheless, I’ll go heavier to build more volume in the sets.

Alessandro Mainente
On 12/25/2024 at 11:18 AM, Awais Muzaffar said:

Thanks! I've always wondered if heavier bands might be counterproductive at times, as they can sometimes create an extra floaty feeling in the hips. 

Unfortunately, having to resort to a heavier band definitely highlights that this is a weak area for me—or it could be that there’s too much weight in my legs, just as you often point out

Nonetheless, I’ll go heavier to build more volume in the sets.

heavider bands allows an anternation of intensity during the weeka dn/or scale the general intensity of an exercise..

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks, Alessandro. I went up one band. My coordination is also starting to feel better in this position.

Right now, this band allows a maximum hold of 12s, and I’m currently holding for about 8s.

 

Awais Muzaffar

Hi @Alessandro Mainente

You're probably the best person to ask - based on your experience, does building strength in weighted dips ever carry over to planche strength? I understand the importance of training at the specific angle, but I'm wondering if gains in overall pushing strength can still translate?

Thanks,

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi @Alessandro Mainente

You're probably the best person to ask - based on your experience, does building strength in weighted dips ever carry over to planche strength? I understand the importance of training at the specific angle, but I'm wondering if gains in overall pushing strength can still translate?

Thanks,

no, the angle is too different and also the more you move closer to the point where the shoulder can do a little little simialr work on the planche ...well the tricep works a lot more.

The fact is that isometric are a lot  specific  and if you want some exercise that are good for planche specific hypertrophy i suggsest this in order of specificity:

multijoint exercises

1- any type of lean pushup or declined narrow grip benchpress 

2- v pushup or 45° narrow grip benchpress

3-any type of vertical full rom push or military press with narrow grip

 

isolation

- anterior deltoid raise or dynamic planche lean

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks! This is very very helpful.

Can have a dedicated day to focus on hyertrophy:

Day 1 - Adv tuck planche (band)
Day 2 - HSPU work
Day 3 - Hypertropjy work (lean pushups (5x5), front delt raise etc...)

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Thanks! This is very very helpful.

Can have a dedicated day to focus on hyertrophy:

Day 1 - Adv tuck planche (band)
Day 2 - HSPU work
Day 3 - Hypertropjy work (lean pushups (5x5), front delt raise etc...)

well it depends on a lot of factor, but i would choose one exercise for planche and one for hspu. in your case for hspu  a standing military press is fine while  dyanmic elevated planche lean is ok for the  planche ( i mean lean and push back). you can stay in the range 10-12 rm and push the set with rpe9 2-3 set.

Awais Muzaffar

 

Hi @Alessandro Mainente

So I've got strength to hold this without hands - before I could not even do 1 second hold. 

In my opion the thing that made the biggest difference was lean push ups (with float at the bottom) and OHP pressing with weights (kettlebell in this case).

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 8/4/2025 at 10:34 AM, Awais Muzaffar said:

 

Hi @Alessandro Mainente

So I've got strength to hold this without hands - before I could not even do 1 second hold. 

In my opion the thing that made the biggest difference was lean push ups (with float at the bottom) and OHP pressing with weights (kettlebell in this case).

 

Yes, they create general pushing and specific pushing, the form is quite good!

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks!