This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE17

Started by Awais Muzaffar, December 18, 2023 · 24 Replies · 254 Views

Awais Muzaffar

Hi,

I've now started work on the freestanding concentric phase. After developing control in eccentrics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRaT4ym6FxE

The first challenge for me was to shift the weight from 3 points of contact to 2 prior to pushing up.

The second challenging aspect is to coordinate the push up into a stable handstand position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz0hQbHSstk (over balance)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWHD3SmJc_g (under balance)

Any tips/pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
23 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi,

I've now started work on the freestanding concentric phase. After developing control in eccentrics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRaT4ym6FxE

The first challenge for me was to shift the weight from 3 points of contact to 2 prior to pushing up.

The second challenging aspect is to coordinate the push up into a stable handstand position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz0hQbHSstk (over balance)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWHD3SmJc_g (under balance)

Any tips/pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks!

the main mistaje here is that you push too fast...in this way you cannot control the hips...iuf you put tension in the muscles gradually you can focus more of deltoid without the necessity to arc and use the upper chest. squeeze the abs...

also my suggestio is to use a reduced partial rom...i mean increase the elevated surface under the forehead.

Awais Muzaffar

Hey!

I took your advice about reducing the rom; This is good advice, because it allowed me to push up with more control.

Not the best form, but here is a single rep:

 

Alessandro Mainente
6 minutes ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey!

I took your advice about reducing the rom; This is good advice, because it allowed me to push up with more control.

Not the best form, but here is a single rep:

 

Hi Awais...well here the main limitation is the handstand..i mean that if you do not reach a proper handstand you will never complete a repetition...

the risk is to repeat and repeat a movement that it is not correct..

Awais Muzaffar

Hi, 

Thanks for replying.

When you say limitation is handstand, do you mean the form of the handstand?

Because in terms of balance, on several attempts when I was at the top position, I was in a stable balance, but the position was banana back.

Thanks,
 

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi, 

Thanks for replying.

When you say limitation is handstand, do you mean the form of the handstand?

Because in terms of balance, on several attempts when I was at the top position, I was in a stable balance, but the position was banana back.

Thanks,
 

yes. you lack basically of shoulder felxion. the rest of the alignment is a direct consequence of this limitation.

Awais Muzaffar

Hi Alessandro,

When pushing back up, I struggle to maintain open shoulders and position myself correctly. This seems to be an issue in freestanding, not when balanced on a wall.

There's another related problem—consistency. Sometimes I land in balance, while other times I lose it.

Do you think focusing on lots of singles might help? I'm wondering if I still don't fully grasp the movement. Am I pushing straight up when I should be pushing more back and into elevation?

Appreciate your insights.
 

 

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi Alessandro,

When pushing back up, I struggle to maintain open shoulders and position myself correctly. This seems to be an issue in freestanding, not when balanced on a wall.

There's another related problem—consistency. Sometimes I land in balance, while other times I lose it.

Do you think focusing on lots of singles might help? I'm wondering if I still don't fully grasp the movement. Am I pushing straight up when I should be pushing more back and into elevation?

Appreciate your insights.
 

 

Well the executio has 2 main problems here:

- symmetry. you tend to leave the wall with one leg at time...this distributes the weight differently between the 2 sides of the body.

- you lean backward with elbows..while elbows hould stay stacked over the wrists.

now my personal opinion is that a solid full open shoulder handstand should be mastered first..if not you will elarn a wrong final position.

Awais Muzaffar

Okay thanks - in this case I will focus more on the handstand itself.

While I maintain reps on this with the wall for strength. 

Is there a minimum handstand (with fully open shoulders) hold time as a pre-requisite?

Alessandro Mainente
16 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Okay thanks - in this case I will focus more on the handstand itself.

While I maintain reps on this with the wall for strength. 

Is there a minimum handstand (with fully open shoulders) hold time as a pre-requisite?

Ideally no, but trust me , the more he handstand doesn0t fatigue you....the better it is because you can use your energy on the rest.

Awais Muzaffar

Hello! I would appreciate your feedback on my hspu but wall-assisted.

I use the wall for the eccentric phase, transition into a freestanding headstand, push straight up, and then return my feet to the wall to repeat the process. Is this an effective training method?

Thank you!

 

Awais Muzaffar

Hello! I would appreciate your feedback on my hspu but wall-assisted to make sure it transfers in the best way to freestanding hspu.

I use the wall for the eccentric phase, transition into a freestanding headstand, push straight up, and then return my feet to the wall to repeat the process. Is this ok?

Thank you!

 

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hello! I would appreciate your feedback on my hspu but wall-assisted to make sure it transfers in the best way to freestanding hspu.

I use the wall for the eccentric phase, transition into a freestanding headstand, push straight up, and then return my feet to the wall to repeat the process. Is this ok?

Thank you!

 

HI Awais, the attempt is ok .... but without open shoulders is very difficult to understand properly the direction of push because it is still affected by the shoulder limitation.

Awais Muzaffar

Thank you. I'm curious to understand the push direction as a result of shoulder openess. My thought was that the push direction was consistently upward in any situation.

 

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Thank you. I'm curious to understand the push direction as a result of shoulder openess. My thought was that the push direction was consistently upward in any situation.

 

but if the press is upward then you should not touch the wall but end in an handstand position!

if the shoulder/spine mobility is less then required the body cannot have the possibility to finish properly the push through the normal range of motion. 

Awais Muzaffar

Good point. 

This explains when I get tired after more reps, the shoulder closes even more, making it harder to push straight up, and I end up falling back or I try to compenstate by overbalancing and falling over.

Also, after I initiate the push-up, you can see a slight arch in my back, which I guess is also a result of the shoulder/spine mobility.

Thanks.

Awais Muzaffar

Hi Alessandro,

I have developed good strength in the concentric phase of hspu and there is for sure improvement in my shoulder mobility (but still working on it); However when I try to open my shoulders at the top my legs naturally go over and I find it hard to prevent this:

Can you please have a look. Thanks!

 

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi Alessandro,

I have developed good strength in the concentric phase of hspu and there is for sure improvement in my shoulder mobility (but still working on it); However when I try to open my shoulders at the top my legs naturally go over and I find it hard to prevent this:

Can you please have a look. Thanks!

 

hey Awais, there are 2 main mistakes here...the first is a loss of general tension in the core, onn hte legs (that are not together), the second one is the weight positioning on the hands that is not correct. you can observe how the elbows move behind the wrists. on the opposite the forearm whould be always vertical to the floor.

Awais Muzaffar

Hi, could you please evaluate my current form in bent-arm pressing? My forearms aren't perfectly vertical, but they’re close enough that I feel I can drive power effectively upward and without loosing balance at the top.

But how do I make the forearms even more vertical? In the bent arm position should I reach forward more with the head? or try to lean my elbows more forward in the bent arm? 

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
On 9/7/2024 at 12:27 PM, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi, could you please evaluate my current form in bent-arm pressing? My forearms aren't perfectly vertical, but they’re close enough that I feel I can drive power effectively upward and without loosing balance at the top.

But how do I make the forearms even more vertical? In the bent arm position should I reach forward more with the head? or try to lean my elbows more forward in the bent arm? 

Thanks!

the forearms position is a consequence of the center of gravity position that shoulde directly over the wrists while in your case it is not...try to feel more the weight on the anerior part of the hand.i'm pretty sure that now you can feel it more on the palm!

Awais Muzaffar

Yeah, I think you're right! I'll give it a try—it's probably just a habit, and I haven't even realised how the weight is being distributed.

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Yeah, I think you're right! I'll give it a try—it's probably just a habit, and I haven't even realised how the weight is being distributed.

this is the key....center of gravity above the point where you put the weight.

Awais Muzaffar

Hi @Alessandro Mainente

I find this skill to be the most challenging for me. I have a few questions that I hope you can help clarify:

1. To achieve a concetric, I need to generate tension by turning my elbows in, which also causes protraction; I then need to hold this tension while pushing up. Is this the correct cue?

2. I’ve noticed my elbows are leaning back less and are more vertical than before. But should I focus on improving this aspect further?

3. What systematic approach can I take to develop consistency? Currently, I can push up from a headstand and go back down again, If I am lucky maybe 2 reps, otherwise just 1. Sometimes there is also the case of also overbalancing at the top.

Here are the current examples:


Thanks for your guidance!

Alessandro Mainente
On 11/1/2024 at 3:04 PM, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi @Alessandro Mainente

I find this skill to be the most challenging for me. I have a few questions that I hope you can help clarify:

1. To achieve a concetric, I need to generate tension by turning my elbows in, which also causes protraction; I then need to hold this tension while pushing up. Is this the correct cue?

2. I’ve noticed my elbows are leaning back less and are more vertical than before. But should I focus on improving this aspect further?

3. What systematic approach can I take to develop consistency? Currently, I can push up from a headstand and go back down again, If I am lucky maybe 2 reps, otherwise just 1. Sometimes there is also the case of also overbalancing at the top.

Here are the current examples:


Thanks for your guidance!

hey Awais...well..

 

1. To achieve a concetric, I need to generate tension by turning my elbows in, which also causes protraction; I then need to hold this tension while pushing up. Is this the correct cue?  yes, definitely

2. I’ve noticed my elbows are leaning back less and are more vertical than before. But should I focus on improving this aspect further? the more vertical they are the easier will be.

3. What systematic approach can I take to develop consistency? Currently, I can push up from a headstand and go back down again, If I am lucky maybe 2 reps, otherwise just 1. Sometimes there is also the case of also overbalancing at the top. 

well 2 reps max it is not the best starting point, probably:

-i would reduce a bit the dept on the day where you practice the free balance version and

-for sure use another day to maintain the general overhead pressing like for example doing an assisted wall variation and focus on building the strength here.

-notice that the ability to balance at the top is influeced by your shoulder range of motion

Awais Muzaffar

Awesome - thanks for the advice!